Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Unit 2 colorado bull

adamwipp

The hunt started when we reached Douglas mtn. 3 days before season opened. Long bumpy ride( over 2 hours with trailer). Saw several nice mule deer right off the road, but no elk. Our first 2 days scouting were tough, only turning up one elk. Then the morning before season opened I found out why people are willing to wait 23 years to draw this tag. In one draw there were 16 bulls screaming there lungs out. None of them were under 300 inches! Several 320-330 class bulls, and one big bull that I figured would score 360. My dad and his freind were scouting another area and had only turned up a few smaller bulls. So I was able to convince him to come to my spot for opening morning. But of course he was no where to be found. We spent the next 3 hunts trying to find the 360 bull I had seen but no luck. Then on the third day the snow started. We were happy at first, but then it turned in to a blizzard and didn't stop for a day and a half. During this time we tried to make it back up the mtn twice with the atv and got stuck both times. So after sitting in camp for what seemed like for ever we decided to try and hunt right from camp on foot, where we had yet to see an elk. Not more than a half mile from camp we spotted a heard of elk. 9 cows and one big bull. We made a big circle around to get down wind. We got to 500 yards of them and we saw the bull heading up the mtn away from us. We thought it was over but decided to keep going even though we couldn't see them anymore. We are just about to get to the side of the ridge where we last saw them and out pops the bull. He was less than 150 yards from us. With no hesitation my dad pulled up and shot. The bull went 3 feet down! It was all over just like that. Over all it was an awsome hunt and was glad I got to tag along with my dad on his once in a lifetime hunt.**We gross scored him at 369 1/8. Main beams were 54 inches.

Attachments

• 2013-10-04 20.39.10.jpg
    2013-10-04 20.39.10.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 794
  • 20131004_181400.jpg
    20131004_181400.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 799
Picture

(Edit note: Administrator rotated it and added some light to the shadows. Hope you don't mind.)
20131004_181250.jpg

Great bull and sounds like a great hunt. Some struggles, some events to raise expectations, and some days of despair. Congrats to your Dad. That is a bull of many lifetimes. Thanks for sharing here.

Fantastic bull. Congrats to your dad. Weird to have that much snow in that country for the early hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back