Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ukraine / Russia

A lot of what the military has learned is that we don’t need as many people. Agree there is still a recruiting problem though. But it is really no different than the shortage of labor in almost every other job, except maybe Real estate agent.

What makes you think this is what the military has learned??? I have not heard that in one meeting. It has more to do with this....

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion...runch-and-its-implications-for-modernization/

Show me your budget, and I will tell you your priorities. The US military is currently prioritizing modernization, and that comes at a cost...

hah! Shortage of jobs... Shortage of embracing the suck to get to a level of quality income though shortage of jobs - these kids now-a-days want it now - J.G. Wentworth style.

Topic of Ukraine / Russia:

Wait until Iran steps up their Houthi operation and sucks more war potential from U.K. and U.S.

Charles, The Houthis are already using these, and they aren't really affecting our abilities, we already had the boats out floating around. They are just good target practice.

Charles, The Houthis are already using these, and they aren't really affecting our abilities, we already had the boats out floating around. They are just good target practice.
Appreciate the share. Good to hear Russia has not near the skill set of U.S. / allied forces vs Houthi vs Ukraine.

I was following this news:

"Vice Admiral Brad Cooper, the head of U.S. Navy operations in the Middle East, said it was the first time the Houthis had used an unmanned surface vessel, or USV, since their harassment of commercial ships in the Red Sea began after the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war."

What makes you think this is what the military has learned??? I have not heard that in one meeting. It has more to do with this....

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion...runch-and-its-implications-for-modernization/

Show me your budget, and I will tell you your priorities. The US military is currently prioritizing modernization, and that comes at a cost...
Everything I read says the general take-away is fewer boots and more technology. And in some cases not even sophisticated tech, just more and faster deployment. I'm not sure the two (people and tech) are completely unbound. And maybe if you can't meet recruiting targets it is a logical control of the narrative, or it is the path you are forced down. Efficiency is the word every in every business plan. I'm not sure why the military would be any different.

What is your definition of "cost"? I sense you are not exactly referring to $$$. Does it refers to gaps?

@MinnesotaHunter , what are your thoughts Russia is colluding with Iran to keep heat on U.S. and allies with respect to Hamas and the Houthis to reduce the support for Ukraine?
Of course open to others thoughts as well.

Everything I read says the general take-away is fewer boots and more technology. And in some cases not even sophisticated tech, just more and faster deployment. I'm not sure the two (people and tech) are completely unbound. And maybe if you can't meet recruiting targets it is a logical control of the narrative, or it is the path you are forced down. Efficiency is the word every in every business plan. I'm not sure why the military would be any different.

What is your definition of "cost"? I sense you are not exactly referring to $$$. Does it refers to gaps?
I looked at the Army recruiting bonuses to see if I could see a trend between boots and technology. Nope. Army needs everybody. $600k bonus for neurosurgeons!

In the end, all the new technology will be used to support boots on the ground. What I see happening in the Ukraine and Gaza fighting after all the missiles, jets and drones are infantry fighting for land.

The elephant in the room...
No, that’s the 600,000 known criminal “visitors”. Not sure if that includes the 320,000 “visitors” that were directly flown in from their home countries, but oh well. Actual number is probably north of 20 mil but what the hell, nobody cares.

I looked at the Army recruiting bonuses to see if I could see a trend between boots and technology. Nope. Army needs everybody. $600k bonus for neurosurgeons!

In the end, all the new technology will be used to support boots on the ground. What I see happening in the Ukraine and Gaza fighting after all the missiles, jets and drones are infantry fighting for land.
The recruitment trend has been down for decades, mostly driven by the Army #s. I saw where acceptance rates went from below 50% to almost 75%. I doubt it is a good thing to reduce fit requirements, but only they know. For a long time the blame was on kids going to college instead. But college enrollment since 2019 is down too. I guess they all went into the trades. :LOL:

The recruitment trend has been down for decades, mostly driven by the Army #s. I saw where acceptance rates went from below 50% to almost 75%. I doubt it is a good thing to reduce fit requirements, but only they know. For a long time the blame was on kids going to college instead. But college enrollment since 2019 is down too. I guess they all went into the trades. :LOL:
Good.

No, they are all living in Mom's basement and posting on HT.🙃

@MinnesotaHunter , what are your thoughts Russia is colluding with Iran to keep heat on U.S. and allies with respect to Hamas and the Houthis to reduce the support for Ukraine?
Of course open to others thoughts as well.

From what I understand is that this is an over simplification. I don't believe Iran's primary purpose for prodding their proxies is due to Russian influence. I think if you want to understand Iran's current motivations you have to look at what was happening prior to OCT 7th when Israel and Saudi Arabia in the final steps of normalizing relations, and placing diplomatic missions in each others countries. This would have had a hugely stabilizing effect in the middle east and would have been disasterous for Iran. Everything I have seen and heard tells me this was the driving factor behind OCT 7th and inciting the current conflicts in Gaza. What the Houthi's are doing is more opportunistic. Of all of Iran's proxies, they have the least influence over the Houthi's. If Iran really wanted to turn up the heat, Hezbollah would be getting involved, as they are the most capable proxy and under the tightest control of the IRGC. We haven't really seen that.

Now do I think Russia is complaining....no. I think where we need to be more concerned is the distraction Russia is being from our being able to pivot fully into the Pacific.

The recruiting trend has been down for decades??? Recruiting standards and incentives have always ebbed and flowed with demand. The last time the DoD as a whole has been in this situation is post Vietnam, and the GI Bill is what got it out of it. Propensity to serve is a social issue, and it is most often overcome when we get attacked or face a recession. Monetary incentives also make a big difference.

The recruiting trend has been down for decades??? Recruiting standards and incentives have always ebbed and flowed with demand. The last time the DoD as a whole has been in this situation is post Vietnam, and the GI Bill is what got it out of it. Propensity to serve is a social issue, and it is most often overcome when we get attacked or face a recession. Monetary incentives also make a big difference.
Can’t paint with too broad of a brush but it does seem that the anti-American sentiment is running strong these days… I know it was post ‘nam as well… but when you instruct the populace to self loathe too much it is hard to ask them to fight and die for something they hate. Also if we make college “free” or forgive student loans we kill the GI bill or ROTC ideas. I guess we are left with more money… or citizenship…

Can’t paint with too broad of a brush but it does seem that the anti-American sentiment is running strong these days… I know it was post ‘nam as well… but when you instruct the populace to self loathe too much it is hard to ask them to fight and die for something they hate. Also if we make college “free” or forgive student loans we kill the GI bill or ROTC ideas. I guess we are left with more money… or citizenship…

You aren't too far off from what I have seen. I don't think I would go so far as anti-Americanism, but rather a good sized chunk of the population that is so self-interested they do not see any kind of service as a noble profession.

I did a hitch in recruiting command in the late 2010s, and I gained a whole new appreciation for the complexity. Probably the biggest issue facing recruiting now is not finding willing candidates, but rather MEPS having access to electronic medical records, the scourge of ADHD meds, parents who brought their kids to the doctor for everything, video games over sports, and mental health.

You aren't too far off from what I have seen. I don't think I would go so far as anti-Americanism, but rather a good sized chunk of the population that is so self-interested they do not see any kind of service as a noble profession.
I feel like the "causes" we've sent troops to fight for in the Middle East have to be a factor here too. When there is no measurable gain from thousands of troops giving their lives (and tens of thousands of civilians killed), that makes it awfully hard to justify sacrificing for the enrichment of military contractors and oil companies/sheiks. Call that "anti-Americanism" if you want, I'd prefer to call it an honest assessment of American involvement in the world.

I feel like the "causes" we've sent troops to fight for in the Middle East have to be a factor here too. When there is no measurable gain from thousands of troops giving their lives (and tens of thousands of civilians killed), that makes it awfully hard to justify sacrificing for the enrichment of military contractors and oil companies/sheiks. Call that "anti-Americanism" if you want, I'd prefer to call it an honest assessment of American involvement in the world.
I wouldn't presume to argue with you on this point, but I am not sure this is what is informing the average 19yo's opinion.

The recruiting trend has been down for decades???
Sorry, maybe "recruiting" is the wrong word. Enlistment maybe? I don't mind using whatever word you want and prefer to avoid semantic arguments.

If you are an optimist, you can see that line below as stable, but the slope is declining. Maybe we have to add the Space Force in? Like I said, the most recent trend isn't much different than any occupation. Looking at the pay tables it looks like they are addressing the problem as you suggest. Entry level pay jumped over 50% from 2020 to 2023.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.01.14 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.01.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.01.50 AM.png

IMG_0166.png

One of Clinton’s legacies is he cut military personnel by 15%.

If you consider that while looking at the graft, the military had a stable amount post Vietnam build up and then after Clinton’s size reduction.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back