Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tresspass fee for pronghorns

BobT

Hey all,
I don't post much but I read a lot, anyway to the point. I hunted in central WY, last fall and I had a blast. I saw a ton of animals and had shooting opportunities every day. I was hunting public land the second week of the season and judging form the gut piles and hides I saw I should have been earlier. I saw decent bucks but the big boys were all on private land. I ended up taking a smaller buck on my last full hunting day and I also killed a couple of does. I contacted some landowners before I went and the trespass fees ranged from $75.00 to $200.00, what do you guys consider a reasonable fee? I'm going back this year and if I draw the same unit again I will probably bite the bullet and pay a trespass fee, the public land is very limited access in most of the unit.

Couple of pics,

009-1.jpg

083.jpg

Thanks!
Bob

I would say an important thing to look it is how many are paying the trespassing fee and going onto the property. It could be no better than the public.

I've never thought about paying a trespass fee for antelope. I've always found plenty of them on public land, and that includes some good bucks too.

If the public land is limited in your unit, as you say, I'd just find a new unit, unless you have the extra $$ to burn and really want to go back to your spot.

I would say it would depend on the size/quality of the ranch. And the availibility of hunting other species (deer) concurrently.

If I were thinking of doing that I would take a few days this summer and go vist with the landowners and look over the properties. You'll get a good idea if its worth it or not.....

I have paid a trespass fee to an outfitter in MT for ground that he had leased. Our group was the only ones on the 30,000 acre ranch. It was $200 and it was one of the best times I have ever had. There weren't toads running around everywhere, but there were very good numbers. I will definitely do it again. I agree that you need to know how many others have permission to hunt the property.

I guy I worked with paid the fee every year because of what you said. The paid about $150 but he would bring home a nice Pronghorn & even Muley's when he went back. He said by Riverton they have some contest and the public lands get swamped so he goes over to some private land he knows about and does not have to fight the crowds. I would pay $200 and not worry about it. The best thing there he says is that the animals are not as spooked so you can get in for a closer shot and see alot more animals.

you guys feel like sharing a name or number for one of these non crowded trespass ranches?? u know i gotta ask

Bt the way BobT, nice pistol. Is that an old Remington XP 100? What caliber is that? Don't mean to be nosey, just like hunting pistols.

Thanks! It's a Savage Super Striker, chambered in .243. I re-barreled it with a barrel I cut down from a Savage youth rifle that wasn't a great shooter. It started as an experiment to see if l could get 3000 fps from a 95 grain Nosler from a pistol. The danged thing shot so well I didn't bother spending the $$ on a new barrel.

BobT, congrats on the hunt! What part of the Ozarks do you live in? I live in Ozark, work in Springfield.

I have had several T/C pistols myself from 223 to 375JDJ. I handgun hunted for almost 5yrs exclusively. My favorite Hand cannon was my Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" 44mag. Easy to shoot and more knockdown power than I would ever need. A good friend on mine has a Remington XP 100 in 243 and has made kill shots on Coyote's at over 300yds. I really want a 460. A co-worker has one and we were hitting the 8" target plate open sites at 100yds. My wife has said I need to wait until my birthday to decide what I really want and not make a quick buy a will regret. Dam I hate when she's right.

you guys feel like sharing a name or number for one of these non crowded trespass ranches?? u know i gotta ask

Chamber of Commerce's have landowner lists with names and numbers. The local game warden or state Biologists are good sources for Ranch Ownes as well. That is what I did and our Party was Tagged out in 2 Days for a 200.00 Tresspass Fee.

Last edited:
I guy I worked with paid the fee every year because of what you said. The paid about $150 but he would bring home a nice Pronghorn & even Muley's when he went back. He said by Riverton they have some contest and the public lands get swamped so he goes over to some private land he knows about and does not have to fight the crowds. I would pay $200 and not worry about it. The best thing there he says is that the animals are not as spooked so you can get in for a closer shot and see alot more animals.

I agree!! The place we had was next to some Walk in property and we were covered up with speed goats. And we were the only ones on the Property which was nice. The walk in had animals the first day but after that, we had them in our lap.

Iys hard to imagine paying to hunt Prairie Carp. The area's I hunt them in Colorado the ranchers always say "Yeah you can hunt em' and please shoot as many as you can". They seem very disappointed when I say sorry, but I'm only allowed to shoot one.

Heck one of my wifes co-workers asked her if I could come out and shoot some off her place just a few weeks ago because a herd of 100+ has been spending the winter on her alfalfa field

Iys hard to imagine paying to hunt Prairie Carp. The area's I hunt them in Colorado the ranchers always say "Yeah you can hunt em' and please shoot as many as you can". They seem very disappointed when I say sorry, but I'm only allowed to shoot one.

Heck one of my wifes co-workers asked her if I could come out and shoot some off her place just a few weeks ago because a herd of 100+ has been spending the winter on her alfalfa field

Share some info with these guys and I believe they could help with that little problem if Tags are easy to get.

BobT, love the pistol hunting. I have a XP-100R switch bbl. that I use on 'lopers and deer. I prefer my .260AI bbl. that I load Sierra 107gr. SMK atop 46.0 gr. of H4350 for antelope and deer. I hunt public land and block management in MT. I hunt the 1st week of Nov. as there are fewer hunters after the 'lopers. Plus, if I find a good wt or mulie it's a bonus. My plan, if I am fortunate enuf to draw a tag, is to use my XP for bighorn sheep or mountain goat. I can slip it in my back pack for ease of carrying. Good luck! MTG

Back