MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Treestand Steps. How Many?

Andrew_V.A.

This will be my first archery deer season in a treestand. How many screw-in steps do I need to safely and comfortably get into a treestand 15' up a tree?

The number of steps kind of depends on how high you want to go. Be sure to space them close enough together that you are not taking huge steps up or down. With your hunting clothes on your range of motion is limited. Also you may want to look at the modular ladders instead of screw in steps. I have heard of many people falling and getting hung on screw in steps ore getting cut pretty bad. It is very easy when the are wet from weather or dew.

I know you are looking into steps but I find the gorrilla type sticks a much better alternative these com in 3 foot section and are not ment to stack together.Hang each section individualy three should get you upn to 15'.I like to make the first section a stretch to get up then the second and third section a little closer together.When I am done hunting for the day I take the bottom section down and stash it in the brush about 25 to 50 yards from the stand so no one can find it easy but you.It really deters people from stealing your stand.

It depends to how tall you are. When I`m screwing them in. I put my foot on the next step and screw in the next step at my knee height. That works pretty good for me. Remember that it is better to have too many screwed in than too few too far apart. I also take a few extra to work my way around the top of the stand. When you get to the your stand you usually have to go slightly past or around the tree some, so take a couple extra.

To answer your question. Measure from the floor to the top of your knee, divide that into 15' (height of your stand) and mutiply that by two + one or two more. Should be about right.

174 is right. The sticks are much easier and faster but they are much more expensive.

Last edited:
Genesis has the math about right, but don't overlook the part about manuevering around the back of the tree, it's always easier, and safer to step onto your stand from behind, or to the side. I'm with the majority here, the sticks are great, and if you're buying them once, it's a whole lot better than steps this year, sticks next. Besides what's a whole season layed up where you slipped and cut yourself worth?

Thanks for the advice- I found some sticks that didnt break the bank so I think ill go that route.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back