PEAX Equipment

To keep or not?

Muleyfanatic

Looking at trading in 2012 F250 FX4 off road extended cab diesel on 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road double cab. I am selling camper that I take out west and personally don't really have a need for the diesel. Everyone always seems to have a need for it though. I am tired of the added maintence and fuel costs let alone towing crap for everyone else. I haven't had any issues with truck and it only has 28000 miles on it. I have found that it is cheaper to stay in a hotel or tent camp rather than the extra cost in fuel and campgrounds to drag the camper 4000 miles round trip. I would like some feed back on the Tacoma. I know I would have to put wheel spacers on to run chains but I think it would do better than the f250 in snow and mud. I know my f250 is pitiful without chains.

You will probably be ahead of the game if you sell the Ford instead of trade-in. Also, I'd look at a full-size half ton. I don't know exact numbers, but the fuel mileage has to be close between the two in a bigger more useable truck. mtmuley (I agree, the big Ford diesels suck off-road.)

My Tacoma goes right past were the big heavy trucks get stuck.
Only ever needed the chains on back a few times,in heavy Sierra snow.
I can carry my whole camp and an elk out. But it is not a tow vehicle,besides a utility trailer.

My Tacoma has 315k on it and it will still be my go to hunt truck after I get a newer F-150 for ranch,towing and hwy stuff. Not much difference in gas milage really. But way cheaper than diesel.............and a F150 will tow. Maybe not a cattle trailer full,but enough.

Last edited:
If your considering a 1/2 ton pickup I would recommend an F150 Max Tow Ecoboost. I've never put it in anything bad enough for chains thou.

Attachments

• Max Tow.jpg
    Max Tow.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 668
I just bought a '15 Tacoma TRD off road yesterday afternoon. I went with the access cab so I would have a slightly longer bed. I don't need the full back seat. I traded in my '02 Ford. I'll be reading this thread to see everyone's opinion on the Tacomas.

If your considering a 1/2 ton pickup I would recommend an F150 Max Tow Ecoboost. I've never put it in anything bad enough for chains thou.

Sharp looking set up worm..what do you have your ATV;s front raised with?

I think the 2016 taco is supposed to be getting some upgrades over the current model, might be worth checking that out. I would definitely make the switch though, I love my tundra!

I have an '08 Tacoma with an extended cab (not 4 door), that has a 6 foot bed. I'm 5'10"ish, so I sleep back there quite often. It's a great truck, but I chose to get a 4 cylinder, which is pretty weak, and it also has a pretty soft rear suspension. When I'm heading out to go elk hunting (or returning) in the dark, the rear end sags, my headlights shine upward and everyone flashes their brights at me. I installed some timbrens last year that seem to help. If I could do it over again, I'd choose a Tundra - but not one of the new, giant, bubbly lookin' ones, but the 2006 and earlier model. It's easy to fill the bed of my truck, and I have a slightly raised topper.

With the current model trucks you don't save MPG with a Tacoma, unless you're willing to drop down to the 4cyl. What you do get though is a much more maneuverable, dependable, and offroad capable truck, but you sacrifice cargo space, road comfort and towing ability. The Tacoma is much more of a mountain truck than it is a road truck. Also, the Tacoma will hold resale value better than any other truck. I've had my 2005 for 2 years and 60k miles, and it still blue books within $1000 of what I paid for it then.

No matter what you get you'll be compromising in one way or another.

Last edited:
Yup,my 98' w/315k is still worth alot. I could get a decent trade in $ still.
I have the extended cab with a bed/camper I can sleep in. I'm 6'2". Love the out of site storage behind seat. It goes anywhere I need to and rarely gets stuck. So I will keep it for hunting.

The MPG deal is an eye opener.
New Tacomas don't get any better milage than mine,18-20 hwy. My old Toy. 82' 4 cyl. got 18-26.
F-150's ,12-20,depending on model and not towing. I have to go climb in a short bed and see what bed fits me. I would get a 4 door model as I hear the openable extended cab F-150's doors rattle loose here in NM.....

I had a 2006 2wd TRD Tacoma for 5 years and 120k miles. That truck would go anywhere, and rarely had trouble in snow, even for a 2wd. The only reason I sold it was to move up to a half ton tundra for the cab/bed size. There's a lot of times I wish I would've stuck with the tacoma. I averaged around 19mpg in the Tacoma, and about 14 in the Tundra. If you don't have to tow/haul anymore, I would highly suggest the Tacoma. It's a great truck.

Sharp looking set up worm..what do you have your ATV;s front raised with?

I use a set of car ramps to raise the front end of the ATV up. I bought the EcoBoost pickup specifically for pulling my camper and not hunting. My hunting truck is a 2011 Taco (Yote) TRD Access cab. 4.0 six speed. I think it's one of the best hunting trucks there is for where I currently live.

Attachments

• Yote.jpg
    Yote.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 526
Here are some pics of my Taco (2009 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 SR5) on a couple of adventures. I will start up front by saying that I LOVE it. This is how I view it.... Cons-Fuel consumption is no better than most 1/2 tons ( mine is 18.5 back and forth to work and +-21 on the highway), the short bed is not what I would have chosen if I could have gotten an 8 footer, ground clearance is limited unless you spend some $$$$ on aftermarket. Pros-Flawless performance/dependability( my unit uses the diesel overseas version down range and they are literally "bombproof"), very comfortable and the Double cab is great, other than the ground clearance the off road performance is awesome, EVERYTHING imaginable from the aftermarket. My only qualification is that due to the ground clearance and payload limitations I also have a big hunting truck (see the Big Blue thread).

Attachments

• GEDC1084.jpg
    GEDC1084.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 410
  • GEDC1085.jpg
    GEDC1085.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 402
  • GEDC1089.JPG
    GEDC1089.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 403
  • GEDC0806.JPG
    GEDC0806.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 411
Tacomas will straight mob as a stock truck...put a little lift and some meats on a trd model with the electronic locker and you are good to go. My uncle had a Jeep rubicon, my dad and I have 05 tacomas we hunt out of. Anyways, we always broke trails, and he followed in the jeep with the winch to pull us out when we got high centered..so we could try again. Finally sold it as our tacomas worked way better for January chuckar hunting...Pretty impressive rigs..gas mileage isn't great, towing and storage isn't going to be like a half tons..:decide what's important to you.

Load up the wall tent, coolers etc and get after it. IMO no need for a quad when you have a tacoma - it will get you everywhere a quad SHOULD be taking you...

Last edited:
I mentioned doing this to a couple friends and it always cracks me up when the reply is a jap truck really. This coming from the people whose favorite gun or whatever is jap. I haven't test drove anything yet but am concerned about the hauling room for actually going out west and back. It would definitely be fine for one guy but stick two in it with the added gear not sure how well it would be. Don't know why I really have a hang up on this as I always drive. Maybe it's time they start driving themselves. LOL

[/ATTACH]

home&hunts 035.JPG

1 cow does not take up much room . This years quartered one.

3 120qt coolers and all my camp fit with room to spare.

Attachments

• ranch etc early 434.jpg
    ranch etc early 434.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Taco's are very dependable, huge aftermarket and all around a great pickup. One thing to look at when I pack for hunting trips is storage space inside the cab. I try not to take a lot of stuff, but if horrid weather comes rolling in I would like to have the room inside for items that have to be protected.

I've owned mainly full size vehicles, 2009 Silverado 1500 Z71, 2008 F-350 King Ranch, 2013 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost, 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali, 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Out of those I currently have the 3500 GMC and the Jeep, they work great for what I do outdoors and for family life. My Jeep will get me into places I shouldn't and my GMC will get me to the camp ground in class and style. The worst all around vehicle out of these was the Silverado, maybe it was just that one, but it had flaws. Worst MPG was the F350 with the 6.4 Powerstroke, towing a 8500 lb trailer I would see 8'ish. Around town it would be in the 12's.

If you have any questions on any of these let me know and I will do my best to get you answers.

I swapped my 1996 tacoma 4wd for 1996 4runner when my son was born. Both are straight animals off road. They will go wherever you need them to. 4Runner came with a factory locker as well. Sold the taco with 367k, my 4runner has 240k. I actually have not missed my pickup bed yet either. With some thoughtful planning, both the 4runner and tacoma will do everything you need as a hunting rig.

I'm just starting the process of a new/ newer truck, and I was leaning towards the Quad Cab Tacoma. . .sounds like everyone likes them too! I had a 1990 SR5 and when I sold it, 217,680 miles and that was 10 yrs ago. . .guy at work still has it, but the rust is about to take the ol girl out I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back