Tiny skulls

I have a skull collection of most mammals in Iowa. Missing some of the rodents. The canines on almost all of them have cracked and split in 2. The incisors on most of the rodents fall out and have also cracked in half. They were all beetle cleaned so over boiling is not the issue. Some of the animals like mink and raccoon I’ve glued the teeth back in. I don’t have an answer for you. I’ll post a few pics later today.

Would the sous vide method work better for controlling temps on something that delicate?

Done a few tiny ones in buckets and other small containers just so I could keep track of the teeth

I had a fawn antelope that was from winter kill. Had about 2” horns on it and the skull was maybe 4” long.

I tried and tried and tried to get the smell out but never could get it to stop smelling like death. I pitch it but kept the horns.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
I did a turkey skull one time when I was running my beetles. Amazing the number of bones in a turkey skull.

They did a good job on it, but then it was all in pieces and I had to figure out how to get it all back together which included a liberal amount of glue.

Only tip I have is to keep each skull in it's own little container. Easy with beetles, harder with other methods.

The canines on almost all of them have cracked and split in 2. The incisors on most of the rodents fall out and have also cracked in half. They were all beetle cleaned so over boiling is not the issue. Some of the animals like mink and raccoon I’ve glued the teeth back in. I don’t have an answer for you. I’ll post a few pics later today.
I've had that issue with even bobcat and bear teeth. Not sure what causes it. Elmers glue generally fixes it fairly well.

I bet a sous vide would work well. No boiling action and you can pick your temp. Sadly, no pressure washing that little guy tho, you'd prob atomize it.

Found a weasel skull, I think, a few years ago, just cleaned it in a small container with hydrogen peroxide. The teeth did fall out but were captured in the container. Had to get a desk style lighted magnifying glass to reassemble it. Will have to get a picture.

I have had my buddy who does beetles do a bunch of stuff for the local high school teacher. Mice are crazy small and delicate as can be expected. But even pheasants, ducks, huns, and sharpies are crazy small. They were in a little clear plastic case and I wasnt about to take them out!

That turned out really nice.

My only tip if you are doing the boiling method would be to run the simmer fluids through a strainer. And have some kind of fine strainer over the sink drain to catch teeth.

I keep meaning to finish cleaning up this skunk skull but now all of the teeth are in a ziplock and that sounds like a tough puzzle.

Smallest teeth will be in the center, getting larger as you move outward. They’ll only want to fit one way (left-right). It isn’t really as hard to figure out as it seems. They usually go back into the right space fairly easily. If you have to force it, it’s probably wrong. When they look pretty even/straight in arrangement, glue them in.

That turned out really nice.

My only tip if you are doing the boiling method would be to run the simmer fluids through a strainer. And have some kind of fine strainer over the sink drain to catch teeth.

Smallest teeth will be in the center, getting larger as you move outward. They’ll only want to fit one way (left-right). It isn’t really as hard to figure out as it seems. They usually go back into the right space fairly easily. If you have to force it, it’s probably wrong. When they look pretty even/straight in arrangement, glue them in.
you are right, calling it a tough puzzle might be a bit dramatic and I’ve already reassembled it once. Now that a bunch of them have split into pieces, I guess it’s the thought of trying to glue them all together/in that keeps it low on the priority list!

I did a robin once, it was my son's first kill (we had to have a little talk afterward). I also cooked it up for him to eat. The first bite he saw was good, but he couldn't choke the second bite down (there were only two bites worth).

The skull was done slowly over low heat, the bones were impossibly fragile.

I can also remember spending hours trying to find all the teeth for a vole skull I found in an owl pellet. Never did find them all, and probably didn't get the teeth I did find into the right spot.

This reminds me, I have a woodcock skull in the refrigerator. Been there for months, unamusing my wife. I was going to do it via anaerobic maceration, which is popular with bird skulls. Just need to find an empty peanut butter jar or similar.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back