Caribou Gear Tarp

Tikka T3 Shooters…Anyone Out There

Trebek

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, so i am very excited and honored to hear what you all have to say.

So I have a late season bull elk hunt in Northern AZ (7 West), and wanted to know if anyone on here has hunted with the Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem. Mag.? If so what weight and brand round have you been shooting. What seems to work best both for accuracy and put down power?

Right now i am comfortable out to 400 yards with a 175 gr. Federal Premium round, with that being said i want to know if 175 gr. is overkill? Have you found a round that seems to work well in this rifle?

Thanks for any suggestions,

I bought a t3x in 7mm R.E.M. For my father. We just recently returned from a moose hunt. I had it sighted in with hornady 162grain interloks. They shot very well out of the gun. His shot was very close, the bullet held up well and moose was killed promptly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk.

I shoot a Tikka T3 and am also hunting late season bull in Arizona this year although I shoot a .308 (I believe I will be using 165g although haven't completely settled on it yet) and will be in 6b. I can't imagine that would be overkill but I am the furthest thing from a ballistics expert. My first and only big game harvest came out of 7w in 2013 on a cow hunt so best of luck to you..hope you get it done! Now hopefully you get someone on here who actually answers your question!

I bought a t3x in 7mm R.E.M. For my father. We just recently returned from a moose hunt. I had it sighted in with hornady 162grain interloks. They shot very well out of the gun. His shot was very close, the bullet held up well and moose was killed promptly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk.

Thanks for the reply, i will look into that round and see if it works out.

Yeah good luck, I'm really just wanting to try a few other rounds before my hunt and see which i like best. best of luck in 6b, thats a hard hunt because of all the traffic. FYI, the Coconino National Forest is replacing the bridge over the west fork of oak creek on the 231 road, if its not done by your hunt you will need to go the long way around on the 538 road to get out to the rim. Good luck CwNova

I have a good friend who shoots a t3 lite in 7mm mag exclusively. I think he shoots 160 grain Barnes Vortx ammo. He's taken everything from antelope to bison with it. It shoots tiny groups and is very consistent. I shoot the same load out of my 7mm mag (Weatherby) and it's the most accurate load I've shot out of it. I highly recommend Barnes for accuracy and performance on game.

I have two T-3s, one in 6.5 x 55 that I use for metallic silhouette, and one in 7mm Rem Mag. I think the T-3 is one of the great rifle bargains.

I am hunting this year with 160 gr Accubonds (Federal factory load) which has worked well on elk, and have used 140 gr barnes TTSX in factory and handloads on deer and elk in the past. Any of these work great, both in accuracy and results at the other end. I have a box of 150 gr Nosler e-tips that I plan to load later this year - have never used e-tips but there is a lot of history with them on this forum (and on Fresh Tracks). Take a look at the Nosler trophy thread on this forum for ideas. I am promoting the use of lead-free ammo as a health issue, but given I am using accubonds I am not too fanatical about it.

I think the numbers favor 160 gr in 7 mm rem mag, but particularly for copper bullets, 140 gr appears to work well. Check out the "wife's moose tag" thread.

Good luck.

I have the Tikka T3 in 7mm as well and i reload with 140 gr barnes. the gun likes berger bullets too. Ive killed elk, deer and bear with it with no issues. pm me if you want the exact reload mix.

I have a good friend who shoots a t3 lite in 7mm mag exclusively. I think he shoots 160 grain Barnes Vortx ammo. He's taken everything from antelope to bison with it. It shoots tiny groups and is very consistent. I shoot the same load out of my 7mm mag (Weatherby) and it's the most accurate load I've shot out of it. I highly recommend Barnes for accuracy and performance on game.

Same as I shoot! no problems with this combo

I have two T-3s, one in 6.5 x 55 that I use for metallic silhouette, and one in 7mm Rem Mag. I think the T-3 is one of the great rifle bargains.

I am hunting this year with 160 gr Accubonds (Federal factory load) which has worked well on elk, and have used 140 gr barnes TTSX in factory and handloads on deer and elk in the past. Any of these work great, both in accuracy and results at the other end. I have a box of 150 gr Nosler e-tips that I plan to load later this year - have never used e-tips but there is a lot of history with them on this forum (and on Fresh Tracks). Take a look at the Nosler trophy thread on this forum for ideas. I am promoting the use of lead-free ammo as a health issue, but given I am using accubonds I am not too fanatical about it.

I think the numbers favor 160 gr in 7 mm rem mag, but particularly for copper bullets, 140 gr appears to work well. Check out the "wife's moose tag" thread.

Good luck.

hanks thats supper helpful, unfortunately i do not have the capability to load my own, but i will look into those weights and brands.

I hunted with a 7mm rem mag this year. It was my dads rifle that he handed down to me, a Remington 700, great gun. I own a tikka in 300 win mag, great gun also, very accurate. I used 160gr trophy bonded tip in the 7mm mag this year, very accurate in my gun. I shot a rag horn last week with it. My shot was past 400 yds. Did not recover the bullet, but the elk died fine. I'll continue to use this ammo.

That should be a great combo. There is no such thing as overkill. I have killed elk with 175 Partitions and Interlocks and they did great. I have killed them with 160 Partitions in the 7mag with the same predictable results.

That rifle should be great. I use a Remington SPS in a B&C stock and a Savage/Criterion in an unknown (maybe HS?) stock.

Just go forth and kill!!

P.S. That is nice country!

I shoot a T3 as well but it is a 300wsm, I can get 165 grain Accubonds and Barnes 168 TTSX to shoot really well. Great overall rifles and am looking at getting a 7mm08 also in a T3

I bought a T3 7mm RM last year before hunting season to replace grandpas old .06 which didn't feel confident with past 300yds. I shot a variety of ammo and settled on the Hornady Superformance SST 154gr. This round was consistently accurate up to my 500yd limit. I took a nice bull with a broken main beam last year at 440 yds and was able to take a decent 6x5 bull this season at 460 yds. Both elk dropped within 10 yds of the first shot. I'm not an advocate of long range hunting, but if you hunt more open alpine areas like here in WY you end up being faced with longer shots than more densely forested areas. Spend plenty of time at the range with it though, it punches the shoulder a little bit.

I bought a T3 7mm RM last year before hunting season to replace grandpas old .06 which didn't feel confident with past 300yds. I shot a variety of ammo and settled on the Hornady Superformance SST 154gr. This round was consistently accurate up to my 500yd limit. I took a nice bull with a broken main beam last year at 440 yds and was able to take a decent 6x5 bull this season at 460 yds. Both elk dropped within 10 yds of the first shot. I'm not an advocate of long range hunting, but if you hunt more open alpine areas like here in WY you end up being faced with longer shots than more densely forested areas. Spend plenty of time at the range with it though, it punches the shoulder a little bit.

Thanks for the reply, I will give the Superformance a try this weekend. The rifle does beat you up a bit, a good recoil pad helps, I'm trying to decide if a muzzle break is worth the investment.

I shoot the T3 in 7MM mag. I have been running Burger 168 grn thru it due to their very good long range accuracy. 1/2 to 2/3 MOA. but you will have to hand load or buy them thru the long range store which are pricey. My back up is Federal 175 grn which I can find anywhere and work well also (3/4 to 1.0 MOA).
Plenty of killing power. took an elk last week across the drainage, efficiently with 1 shot. Shot placement is always the key.
Good luck

I bought one in 300 win mag. Put a nice leupold 4-16 power scope on it.

Ran a box of Hornady superformance 180 gr and couldnt get under a 4 inch group.

Ended up going with Barnes Vortx 180 gr and its shooting a half inch moa.

Dropped a bull @ 326 yards in wyoming.

I think I'll be getting a tikka soon. For the money they seem hard to beat. Checked out the t3x recently at Cabela's is it much better?
ETA anyone running the CTR?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back