Tikka Pro/Con

Gunner46

I found a Tikka for sale, listed at 95%. Seems like a fairly low price. Let's hear some Pro's and Con's of the Tikka. I've never even seen one, much less shot one.

I've heard nothing but pros based on price and performance. The only con I have heard seems like a personal preference issue with the stock. To me, if you don't like it, swap it out for a B&C from Stocky's.

I used to want one until I picked one up. Cheap feel and I hate the top shrouded action. Seems they shoot well but so do other rifles. mtmuley

I absolutely love mine, it's the gun I carry with me every day during hunting season. The stock bothers some people, I don't have a problem with it.

I would recommend a LimbSaver pad for it though, they kick a bit.

I Love mine. I prefer its stock over any other,and the best part is it out shoots my brothers weatherby which cost 3× as much.

My vote goes to the sako a7 big game. All the pros of the tikka but you get a 3 lug bolt, metal lips on the magazine. Plus the magazine needs to be pushed up before the release button can be pushed. The recoil pad that comes on it is great. You get a bell and Carlson stock already on it, and a fluted barrel. They are on sale right now for $999 and I think that's a great deal for the money. By the time you get the stock switched from that tikka stock you are pretty much at a grand right there.

My only con to the Tikka was the short length of pull. As mentioned if you have to buy another stock you offset any savings over the Sako. See if you can find one to see how it feels before buying it unseen.

Absolutely love mine and have yet to have any issues in the 5 years of owning one. I have a 7mm in the black synthetic stock with a stainless barrel. I replaced the pad with a limbsaver and it feels great. Excellent shooter and hard to beat for the price IMO

Tikka's are used by thousands of hunters in Australia and are the number one selling rifle in New Zealand, without a doubt these guns would get used all year long, not just for a few days each year. They generally shoot like poison straight out of the box, and with a trigger job and upgraded stock like a bell and carson they would be my number 1 choice for a firearm to buy, especially in the middle to lower end market. I have used most rifles out there and seen them in action in the field, and those tikkas are great weapons, especially the t3's. But in straight out factory form, i can see why some guys would think they feel a bit funny when picking them up for the first time.

Agree on the short LOP, but that seems to be standard for most factory rifles, annoying when mine is 14.5, hence why i have a few sako 75's in the gun rack.

Putting a limbsaver on the end will increase the LOP a little.

Some have complained about the polymer/plastic magazine and bolt shroud. The latter can be replaced with steel or aluminum pretty cheap. Never owned one, but one gripe I have is using the same action length for short action cartridges and long action cartridges. That said, I see the possibility of one in my future. If I decide to restock it, it will probably get a McMillan or Manners vs the B&C.

Pro - buying a gun is always good!!!!
Someone will buy it if ya don't like it
But give it a try If it's a good deal
And you stay with that caliber?

Tikka is as good as it gets at it's pricepoint. Buy em & use em, they flat out perform..... but if your intent is to upgrade with better component$, buy an A7 or a Sako,

my only con is that it does not have a lever to release the bolt without the safety being in the fire position. I am bringing up a crop of kids, so I opted for the Sako A7 and couldn't be happier. great gun.

I absolutely love the one I've had for the past 10 years. It kicks pretty good in .270 WSM but with an aftermarket recoil pad on it I can tolerate it.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is, like MNElkNut says, you can't release the bolt without taking the safety off. Also, if you have it slung over your shoulder and go through brush, the safety can catch on brush and get clicked to the fire position. I've had it happen 2 or 3 times on me. I never keep a shell chambered when walking to or from my stand in the dark to be safe. When I'm walking, hunting with it, my thumb is ALWAYS on the safety to make sure it is where it is supposed to be. For this reason it is not a gun I'd start a young hunter out with. But, for me, I absolutely love it. Plus, I've killed a deer every year since I owned it, and a handful of other critters. It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned/shot.

Those Fins can build a rifle. I think they are the best value on the market in terms of price and accuracy. I own a lot of different makes of rifles and am a Winchester looney but my Tikka 338 win mag is an awesome performing rig. The single stack mag feeds easily and flawlessly and don't worry about the plastic because it's tuff.

An engineer at Bell & Carlson said they only way they could produce their stock with an integral lug in the bedding block was because Tikka's rifle to rifle tolerance was the best they had ever seen.

If you don't want it let me know if it's a smoking deal I'll buy it in a heart beat.

march2014204_zpse60f4103.jpg

Mine's been sub-MOA with anything I put through it. But like others have said, the stock leaves something to be desired. I'm also not a fan of push-feed rifles or a 3 round magazine, but for a budget hunting rifle, I don't think you can do much better.

I'm also not a fan a 3 round magazine.

That's about the only thing that is hanging me up from getting one today. But, they produce lefty models, so I may have to pull the trigger. When Howa finally starts selling their left hand models I'm going to have a tough decision to make.

That's about the only thing that is hanging me up from getting one today. But, they produce lefty models, so I may have to pull the trigger. When Howa finally starts selling their left hand models I'm going to have a tough decision to make.

It really is an aesthetic thing. I've never needed a reload while hunting, even when culling whitetail. I suppose if I can't get it done with 3, I should spend more time at the range.

Still, there's comfort in 5 rounds over 3.

In General I like the T3's. The ones I have experience with are in smaller calibers, so I can't speak to recoil issues. Here are my thoughts

Pros
Accurate, Light, Reliable, Simple and Proven

Cons
Proprietary Scope mounts (I just don't like proprietary scope mounts... Ruger, Sako, CZ... Any of 'em), Spare Magazine cost, Short LOP and Generally cheap feel to the stock.

I agree with others, the Sako's are IMO better designed and executed; and well worth the extra cost.

Back