Thioughts on finding cow elk.

Goatshoes

Its too late for me to change the immediate outcome but not to late to learn a lesson.

We were hunting the Utah Monroe unit for cow elk Oct 11-15. Found plenty of spikes and bulls but very few cow elk. I figured like doe deer that we would see multiple cows for every bull glassed up. Not at all. Any thoughts why we failed so epicly?

Last edited:
Interesting. The last time that we hunted the Mescalero reservation for cows, we almost had the same thing happen. I finally found them in nasty country, when I heard a bull bugle.

That time of year should still have had a few cows with the bulls, it seems like to me. Elk are still elk and anything goes, for sure.

Old story and probably told it before.

My brother bought a Vermejo nondrawn cow elk tab. I think he was 7th in line.

Invited me and we went hunting. Bull, Bull, Bull, they were screaming.

It was fun. Finally about noon a couple of cows and he put one down. The area we were in was hunt going uphill. So, the pack was downhill.

Easy fun hunt.

We only saw 4 cows two were on a 40 acre section of private and the other two were spotted 10 minutes after shooting hours ended. We saw at least 25 bulls over the 4 days.

Hello Goatshoes,
I was lucky a-hole who drew the only nonresident Monroe Muzzy Bull Tag. Any tips on where to concentrate my efforts? Places to avoid?

Thanks

Back