Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The Season of Stupid (& elk)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
Currently in the process of developing a 3 page application that culminates with a video submission of your best back yard karate / bear fighting tactics
I've been watching a lot of TMNT lately, so the back yard karate might be ok. I try hard to only hunt in places where I'm the hunter and not the hunted. That said, I'm not sure if a rifle or pistol would be better in close quarters for a bear, or maybe bear spray? or boiling water?

well summer is over, or at least how we measure it in this house... our sweet girl is back in school. It feels like this summer flew by and it really did. Way too much travel and not nearly enough CO time has the wife and I realizing next summer we need to do a better job of exploring CO next year and spending less time on planes. yesterday I got to pick up the little one before gymnastics and take her to get ice cream. As a dad, I don't get as much one on one time as I would like - mom is the coolest person on earth to our daughter - so when we have the chance, I jump at it. It turned out between the early starts and ice cream coma, our gymnastics obsessed kid didn't even want to go. Let her sleep for an hour, woke her up as we pulled up and she asked if we could skip it - which never happens. I said ok and 2 secs later she was snoring again. Sometimes even the growing kids remind you of when they were little

IMG_4510.jpeg71400434175__0DE85E00-A50E-4937-BEAB-19450C9E8DDB.jpeg

With my daughter starting school an hour earlier this year, everyone was up bright and early this morning. After kissing the girls goodbye, I drove a couple of hours to a location I am scouting for potential future seasons. It's been fun to e-scout, scout and place cameras in a unit that I have no pressure to hunt - but rather just get to explore without any results attached to it.

I've been letting the cameras "soak" for two weeks at a time and will continue to do so up through 1st season here (don't worry, they are non cellular, I'm earning those pics - one ten mile round trip hike at a time). This latest trip has proven that the big bulls are still hanging around and the cows / calves are starting to assemble where the bulls are as well. It's been fun to watch this herd move in and out of this area and in certain cycles. And it's been fun watching their activity become more and more nocturnal.

IMG_4521.jpegIMG_4522.jpegIMG_4523.jpeg

We are 44 days away from the opener in WY and it really can't come soon enough. I am jealous of everyone who has a september tag or someone to tag along with in September. I know I'd probably hate hunting in this heat, but I am jonesing to chase elk, hear the sounds of September and get out there with my own tags.

This weekend my brother in law and his family are in town, so we'll likely be playing tour guide - but I think I am going to offer him a few beers in exchange for his assistance putting up the new wall tent we got. I'd like to see how easy it is to get up and what kind of room we have.

Once I figure out how much room we have for activities - and supervisors - the search for a chaperone to keep dsnow9 and I in line, will begin. 🤣

well summer is over, or at least how we measure it in this house... our sweet girl is back in school. It feels like this summer flew by and it really did. Way too much travel and not nearly enough CO time has the wife and I realizing next summer we need to do a better job of exploring CO next year and spending less time on planes. yesterday I got to pick up the little one before gymnastics and take her to get ice cream. As a dad, I don't get as much one on one time as I would like - mom is the coolest person on earth to our daughter - so when we have the chance, I jump at it. It turned out between the early starts and ice cream coma, our gymnastics obsessed kid didn't even want to go. Let her sleep for an hour, woke her up as we pulled up and she asked if we could skip it - which never happens. I said ok and 2 secs later she was snoring again. Sometimes even the growing kids remind you of when they were little

View attachment 288338View attachment 288339

With my daughter starting school an hour earlier this year, everyone was up bright and early this morning. After kissing the girls goodbye, I drove a couple of hours to a location I am scouting for potential future seasons. It's been fun to e-scout, scout and place cameras in a unit that I have no pressure to hunt - but rather just get to explore without any results attached to it.

I've been letting the cameras "soak" for two weeks at a time and will continue to do so up through 1st season here (don't worry, they are non cellular, I'm earning those pics - one ten mile round trip hike at a time). This latest trip has proven that the big bulls are still hanging around and the cows / calves are starting to assemble where the bulls are as well. It's been fun to watch this herd move in and out of this area and in certain cycles. And it's been fun watching their activity become more and more nocturnal.

View attachment 288335View attachment 288336View attachment 288337

We are 44 days away from the opener in WY and it really can't come soon enough. I am jealous of everyone who has a september tag or someone to tag along with in September. I know I'd probably hate hunting in this heat, but I am jonesing to chase elk, hear the sounds of September and get out there with my own tags.

This weekend my brother in law and his family are in town, so we'll likely be playing tour guide - but I think I am going to offer him a few beers in exchange for his assistance putting up the new wall tent we got. I'd like to see how easy it is to get up and what kind of room we have.

Once I figure out how much room we have for activities - and supervisors - the search for a chaperone to keep dsnow9 and I in line, will begin. 🤣
Maybe you should be the mentor, I just shoot the first cow I see on an either sec tag. I grew up in a zero point elk unit and that’s all I ever knew! 😉

One of my favorite parts of elk hunting is the planning and logistics. Setting up the tent, discussing trailers or trucks or food or boots. It all builds up!

You might want to add early morning partner-yoga to your daily agenda when up there. Then again, maybe you don't.

Maybe you should be the mentor, I just shoot the first cow I see on an either sec tag. I grew up in a zero point elk unit and that’s all I ever knew! 😉
Lol. When my uncle discovered that my old man was a hunter he wanted the old man to take him. This was the perfect opportunity for the old man to corrupt him and thoroughly annoy my aunt. The old man took uncle out to the property that he hunted a horribly long 15 minute drive from home. All the time leading up to the hunt and the drive all my uncle said I'm gonna kill a buck I'm gonna get a buck gonna be a big buck. Dad leads him through the barn to that overlooked a cut corn field. Uncle still talking about his big buck. Dad tells well you can get a buck or shoot one of the does standing there your tag is good for either. My uncle's response was simply, "Where, where, where??!! All visions of antlers were out the window at that point. I still see the old man chuckling recalling that story.

Last edited:
Lol. When my uncle discovered that my old was a hunter he wanted the old man to take him. This was the perfect opportunity for the old man to corrupt him and thoroughly annoy my aunt. The old man took uncle out to the property that he hunted a horribly long 15 minute drive from home. All the time leading up to the hunt and the drive all my uncle said I'm gonna kill a buck I'm gonna get a buck gonna be a big buck. Dad leads him through the barn to that overlooked a cut corn field. Uncle still talking about his big buck. Dad tells well you can get a buck or shoot one of the does standing there your tag is good for either. My uncle's response was simply, "Where, where, where??!! All visions of antlers were out the window at that point. I still see the old man chuckling recalling that story.
Exactly, unless someone is holding my bullets my general rule is brown=down (as long as it’s legal). I like putting meat in the freezer and usually hunt e/s tags for elk.

If there is a legal bull sitting next to a cow I’m going to shoot the bull, but if the bull is still in the trees when a cow walks out, dead cow.

Deer and antelope are a bit different for me but likely only because I don’t usually have e/s tags. But @MtnElk has been watching too much fresh tracks and says he is going to wait for a bull and make me do the same… Maybe he will corrupt me or maybe I will make him crumble. Only time will tell. Or we will just do a lot of hiking and no killing. It’s elk hunting so who knows.

Back