Caribou Gear Tarp

The Montana Slaughter

I figured I would clarify since I was one of "those guys" that harvested a big bull at the end of the season this year. I posted the sleeping giant on here (had a problem with the log in stuff so I changed my username) and when I read some of these posts about guys hammering these big bulls close to roads and loading them whole I felt that I should add that my bull was harvested far from any road and was packed out in many pieces. Also, he was not a "park" bull.

Good to hear Elk nut! He looked so much like some others from the "park" country that I pm'd ya and asked about what part of the state you were in!

A true blue public land western MT bull. That's as specific as I can be......I'm sure you can understand. We found his right shed last winter less than 300 yards from where i shot him.

I have his left shed if you want it. Do you have any more photos of that bad boy? Looks to be a super nice bull!

His left side took a beating during the rut.......would love to see the other bull.........that's my packing crew on the hillside. small221.jpg

Attachments

• small218.jpg
    small218.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 400
  • SMALL223.jpg
    SMALL223.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 403
His right side scored 161"......spread 42". He grosses 340-ish with over 6" missing from his 5th and 14" from his 4th!! He is too big to leave like that. I will be repairing those points for sure and doing a sweeping left turn shoulder mount.

Went to a sports show this afternoon here in Bozeman. The local B&C guy was there scoring trophies. Thought I would stop by and see what he had in the pile for today, thinking with the amount of big bulls killed, a few nice ones would show up.

Holy crap, more than I expected. A lot of 320-340 bulls and two great bulls, both shot by women.

One grossed 401 and netted 388. Was shot just over the mountains I see from my back porch.

The other was 394 and netted 381. It was shot up in the Missouri River Breaks. I think this lady may post her bull here some day.

Congrats to those hunters.

The number of huge bulls I saw there, and the number of amazing bulls I saw at my taxidermist on Tuesday, makes me wonder what the male age class will be next year for Southwest Montana. I am sure a few older bulls survived, but the number of old bulls sitting in taxidermist studios is going to keep those guys busy for about two years.

I think 2010 will go down in Montana books as a year similar to 1991 and 1996, maybe even more and bigger bulls than those years.

Might swing by the show tomorrow afternoon, to see what else shows up.

I too went out today with my 3 year old daughter in tow. She loved being pulled in the sled. We found the heard that I followed around this past fall close to where I left them. And guess what. 4 out of the 6 big boys were still there. I couldn't believe it, I expected only a few left from the amount of people that I saw in the area. I guess they just didn't drop into the drainage where they are at. I talked to the rancher in the area who doesn't hunt any more due to his age told me as long as I bring the family up this spring I have permission to hunt his property. (His wife absolutly loved my daughter. Not to mention he was impressed that I pulled her aprox. 3 miles in a sled. Going through his property will only make the walk about 1 1/2 mile now.) Can't wait to go find some shed in the next couple of months.

Back