Successful Father/Son Wyoming Weekend

DWarcher

I had planned on taking a few days to go hunt blacktails here in one of our local wilderness areas but at the last minute I had the great idea to hop on a plane and go hunt elk (he had the only tag) with my youngest son who is a student at the University of Wyoming. With only two and a half days to hunt we would be up against it to make it happen but I was feeling pretty good about our chances being as he had been in the unit quite a bit during archery season and while it’s not a super high density area, he had been seeing some animals. I flew into Denver, got a car and was in Laramie by 12:45 where we loaded up and hit the road with plans on squeezing in an afternoon/evening hunt. Well we made it out into the field and after about a three mile hike, found ourselves sitting on a great glassing point that would let us cover a tone of beautiful country.

Literally within a minute of getting set up he says, “Did you hear that cow?” For whatever reason, I had not heard anything but within another five minutes we both heard two mews from a cow right below us is some thick aspens and pines. Soon after, about fifty yards below us, I catch a patch of hide moving through the aspens and then see antlers confirming a young bull and some cows and calves. We had already had the conversation regarding antler size and since this would be his first elk and we were short on time, he wasn’t going to be too picky. After the bull finally worked himself into a spot that allowed for a shot, he had his first bull on the ground!

Last edited:
Now the work started and with daylight fading fast, I knew it would be a long night. We spent time taking photos, broke the bull down, put half in our packs and hung the other half in a saddle that was getting a good breeze and would cool the meat down quickly. The plan was to be up early the next day to pack out the other half of the bull. Camp was a welcome sight that night and we both hit the sack sometime around 11:30.

All went according to plan the next day and we were loaded up and ready to head back to town around 10:00am. About this time we realized that we probably had enough time to go find him a pronghorn for the tag that was burning a hole in his pocket. After dropping the meat off at the processer, grabbing some lunch and getting ourselves cleaned up we were back on the road and heading west towards goat country!

Something about bloody backpacks always makes for a great elk hunting story. Congrats.

He had drawn a tag for a pretty good unit but I wasn’t prepared for the quantity of animals we were seeing. It was unreal. Unfortunately there were not a lot of big goats but right at dusk we had finally found a buck that he would be happy with…this would be his first pronghorn as well. After a long night of sleep we were up early and in position to close in on the buck that we had our eye on. After closing the gap to 200 yards, another well-placed bullet had a beautiful buck on the ground.

This was one of the most fun, action-packed weekends that I’d spent in a long time and the fact that I was able to share it with one of my kids made it that much sweeter. I would say that I made the right choice in deciding to skip out on my blacktail hunt.

Awesome. Nothing better than hunting with your kids. Certainly a trip you both will always remember.

Blink and you missed it it happend so fast. Jealous that you could hunt with your son. kansasson is halfway around the world until after 2015 turkey season is over.

Great story, congrats to you and your son. Any time spent hunting with your kids is special. To be able
to get two animals when so pressed for time is icing on the cake.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back