Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Story of my first Elk (CO 1st Rifle 2019)

nice job. congrats. I couldn't get the pics to open. may have to load again. sounds like you met some true gentlemen and good outdoorsman. appreciate the write up

My bad on the pics. They displayed for me, but not you guys. Fixed it now. Bill and Zac were phenomenal dudes and I hope to be able to hunt with them again some day. Unfortunately it sounds like this hunt will not be available next season so I will be very lucky to encounter them again.

Wow great story.

Nice to hear there are still people like Bill and Zac out there paying it forward.

Congratulations you earned it!

Thanks @passinthru. I am definitely going to try to pay their generosity forward in my future adventures. A little bit of kindness can go a long way to improving someone's trip.

The photos really tied the room together.....; )

Nice bull and horse....bet that horse was beautiful to you. Good job on the story...it read shorter than it looked.

Awesome story. What part of GA are you from?

Thanks! I live in Atlanta. Born and raised here. I hunt all over the state, but I am starting to venture out west more and more. I read your hunt story from earlier this year and it sounds like yall had a similarly fun time. Congrats to you and your buddies too!

Last edited:
The photos really tied the room together.....; )

Nice bull and horse....bet that horse was beautiful to you. Good job on the story...it read shorter than it looked.

That horse was amazing. I felt like a little kid riding on that thing and we got him loaded him right at that golden hour of the day as the sun was setting over the mountains. Everything about it was as beautiful a thing as I have ever seen. It was such a surreal experience and one that is burned into my memory.

Congrats on a very nice bull! I hunted that same area for 10 days during archery season, it's tough out there.

So kick ass! I tried to get a cow tag for this unit for my 3rd choice this year, no luck. I wanted to check it out before dedicating any first choices or points. This lets me know to keep trying.

Cheers from a person who left ATL for CO 🍻

Good for you and congrats, what a hunt! Love to see guys getting after it, you did that in spades! (y)

Congrats on a very nice bull! I hunted that same area for 10 days during archery season, it's tough out there.
Uh oh. Was it that obvious where I was? I tried to be as vague as I could so as not to blow up the spot, but it sounds like it won't matter. I heard through the grapevine that they won't be doing that hunt next year due to all of the complications it brought along. I'm really glad I did it when I did and now it is time to find a new spot. I've learned over the years hunting hogs here in Georgia on public land that no good honey hole lasts more than a couple years.

So kick ass! I tried to get a cow tag for this unit for my 3rd choice this year, no luck. I wanted to check it out before dedicating any first choices or points. This lets me know to keep trying.

Cheers from a person who left ATL for CO 🍻
The two times I've hunted this unit I was actually able to draw the tag with my second choice and build points with my first. I think I got lucky this last year and I am very curious to see what the actual odds end up being from 2019.

I've been trying to convince my wife to make the move for years, but she isn't quite convinced yet. It would sure make my drive a lot shorter and my tag price a lot cheaper if I lived out there so I am not giving up on the goal just yet!

A bmx race to start a hunt definitely would not be my cup of tea. That being said, it is pretty impressive that you developed a plan and pulled a nice bull out of there. Congrats!

Back