Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spraypower or Firepower?

dwhite0622

Hello! this is my first post and I am hoping it will generate some good discussion points. As an elk hunter in Southwest Montana I inevitably spend some hours in Griz country. Over the past year in particular I have had a few encounters and seen a handful of bears, the majority of which from a safe distance or through a spotting scope.

I have been hunting a particular drainage in Location X not far from Bozeman for the past three weeks, and although I am well aware this area is within griz range I haven't seen even a print in the area this year and sort of assumed there wasnt enough cover in the immediate area to host a bear. Yesterday I talked one of my buddies into tagging along with me on an archery hunt in the morning with the promise to tag along with him on an afternoon antelope hunt. We left town early and hiked in the dark, per usual and made great time giving us an extra 45 minutes or so to kill before first light. We were sitting on the edge of a game trail I had seen a large group of elk travel through earlier this week chatting under our breath and waiting for the elk to start moving and making some noise when a magpie swooped over our heads. Thinking nothing of it we went back to our whispering chit chat until around 715 when we hit that gray-light phase of the morning and could start to see our surroundings a little better. As im looking around in all the trees surrounding me I start to pick up on the fact that this could be a scene out of a particular Alfred Hitcock film observing all the magpies, and ravens perched above me. This is the point when my morning coffee finally settles in and I whisper to my buddy "I think there is a kill somewhere in here." (I know what youre thinking, run!!) At that point we were completely quiet for a few moments with our spidey sense on high alert when we hear some crunching a few yards away and a griz sow stands up 10-12 yards in front of us on her hind legs and huffs at us (the only reason I have an idea on a range is because she was inside of a tree we had just ranged at 15 yards) and her cub comes running up behind her and almost runs into the back of her hind legs. The next five 5 seconds are somewhat of a blur, but I know I drew my spray, removed the safety piece and yelled at her. In my mind I was saying "HEY BEAR, HEY BEAR" but realistically i'm sure it was a mixture of four letter words and speaking in tongues. She dropped back down to all fours and jumped back a few feet as surprised to see us as were to see her. We backed out slowly until we were 100 yards or so away then ran up the other side of the drainage and out of the timber. It was about ten minutes later that we were well out of the timber and and glassing below us where we had seen her. By this time I was trying to act nonchalant about the whole situation to my buddy and hoping he couldn't see my knees shaking. As we walked out with our tails tucked we waked almost face to face with a raghead and a 5x5 bull which reminded us that we were actually suppose to be elk hunting. Needless to say we missed that chance.....Oops.

So, all that being said I feel fairly confident that if she had charged I could have sprayed her. I most likely would have sprayed the ground and a few trees and myself in the process, but I think I could have got her too. If you were to give me a .44 I think I would have got a shot off, but who knows in which direction and the odds of hitting my target very low. Im certainly not against side arms, I actually would have one myself if the hunting budget had allowed for one this year, but after my first close encounter I think I will stick with spray for a while.

So long as you can run faster than your hunting partner, you're fine. Probably unethical if you spayed him with steak sauce on your way out of there.

I carry both bear spray and a 44 mag with hard cast hand loads. Plan A is the spray and plan B is the 44. I've never had to use either, which I've very thankful.

I dont live in grizz country, we got a couple blackies around here but hardly any so im not the guy to really be listening to but im gonna give my opinion anyway:)....if i could i would carry both, if i could only have one i would feel better with the gun but i think the spray would be more effective.

I carry both. As the saying goes, its better to have it and not need it...

As we walked out with our tails tucked we waked almost face to face with a raghead and a 5x5 bull which reminded us that we were actually suppose to be elk hunting. Needless to say we missed that chance.....Oops.

I would report that to homeland security. Was he decapitating the bull ISIS style?

Leave the spray at home and abandon southwest montana griz country. I hear there is a lot of cool country north of your house maybe in the mtns where the goat elk are??? Glad ur ok D- Central MT has lots of elk so I've heard.

I don't live in scary bear country, just visit on occasion so i'm no expert.

You cannot tell by the picture but the way we walked up on this bear there was a small rise that blocked every ones view until we were all looking at each other.

It was a hard down canyon thermal at the time, you would have pepper sprayed yourself, no doubt about it.

I think we made enough of a threat she was being submissive? Don't know enough about bear behavior but those ears mean something. Maybe just annoyed she had to walk around us.

Dinkshooter, awesome photos. Thanks for sharing. It's pretty amazing to see them at close range. I have considered the wind factor in spray effectiveness before. That certainly could be a game changer.

There's news out of Fernie, BC, in the Canadian portion of the Flathead this week. Hunter got mauled by a sow with cubs, then shot by his hunting partner. Looks like he will survive but the gunshot was the more serious injury. Both pepper and pistols have ups and downs but I carry pepper, along with whatever firearm I'm hunting with. And I want my hunting partner to have pepper spray. All is fair in self defense, but getting shot with a big game rifle is bad news.

Serious response: Spray is more effective in most situations. High wind is the only one where you're screwed with spray. If I'm hunting, then I'd rather have a rifle than a handgun against a grizz, so no hogleg while hunting. If I'm hiking and it's thick or windy, then I will carry, on occassion, a .44 mag. 99% of the time you won't need it and the other 1% it can usually be avoided by being bear aware. There's comfort in it though, so I do carry on occasion.

Not so serious: Spraypower versus firepower was the name of a documentary about spicy food.

There's news out of Fernie, BC, in the Canadian portion of the Flathead this week. Hunter got mauled by a sow with cubs, then shot by his hunting partner. Looks like he will survive but the gunshot was the more serious injury. Both pepper and pistols have ups and downs but I carry pepper, along with whatever firearm I'm hunting with. And I want my hunting partner to have pepper spray. All is fair in self defense, but getting shot with a big game rifle is bad news.

Shooting your partner is happening far too often these days. At least the guy didn't die like the last one. And of course he didn't get that stinging that happens if spray would have gotten in his eyes. :rolleyes:

a griz sow stands up 10-12 yards in front of us on her hind legs and huffs at us

You should have been spraying, reversing, and pooping your pants at the same time. But seriously, the pepper spray only works outside the can. I'm glad things turned out well for you. That is too close of a call. You must be living right.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back