Sears and Roebuck
Orvis
Llbean
Field and Stream
Eddie Bauer
Dicks
Gander Mountain
Gart Sports

I’m sure there are a pile of other hunting fishing/ outdoor sports stores that are either defunct or now only sell crappy soft goods.

Naysayer here...

I have liked Bass Pro since I learned of them, very satisfied with what I have bought from them.

Cabelas, well, I always looked at them as being a place you shopped, found what you liked, and then went to Sportsman's to buy it cheaper.

Both Bass Pro and Cabela's have always had great service, lots of help on the shop floor.

Sportsmans is nice because their gun and ammo prices are (well, these days were) good. Many other items were ok on price. But service? What's that. I finally decided if I couldn't find precisely what I was after, I would buy it someplace else. And this is my experience with Sportsmans' in Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, and more. Maybe I go in expecting bad, and get it. But they never fail to deliver on that kind of service.

Naysayer here...

I have liked Bass Pro since I learned of them, very satisfied with what I have bought from them.

Cabelas, well, I always looked at them as being a place you shopped, found what you liked, and then went to Sportsman's to buy it cheaper.

Both Bass Pro and Cabela's have always had great service, lots of help on the shop floor.

Sportsmans is nice because their gun and ammo prices are (well, these days were) good. Many other items were ok on price. But service? What's that. I finally decided if I couldn't find precisely what I was after, I would buy it someplace else. And this is my experience with Sportsmans' in Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, and more. Maybe I go in expecting bad, and get it. But they never fail to deliver on that kind of service.
If you like dad jeans, sleeveless button downs and kettle corn I’m sure they’re great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one bites the dust...

Sportman’s
Cabelas
Sears and Roebuck
Orvis
Llbean
Field and Stream
Eddie Bauer
Dicks
Gander Mountain
Gart Sports

I’m sure there are a pile of other hunting fishing/ outdoor sports stores that are either defunct or now only sell crappy soft goods.
I’m with you until LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Orvis, they still make some good stuff.

Great....not, I absolutely hate ass pro, they royally screwed up Cabelas and now they'll do the same with Sportsman's as they're the walmart of sporting goods, cheap garbage and high prices...I guess I'll do my shopping at Scheels when they finally get it open in Missoula.
Cabelas was shit long before asspro bought them out

Well, once Biden and Kamala get done with their proposed gun control tactics, we won't need them anymore anyway....
I'm against their ideas on guns also, but that comment has absolutely no value to this thread and only serves to derail a discussion the OP thought was worth having. Not sure why people feel they have to add these kind of tangents.

Keep it on topic.

Got Jax outdoor gear and scheels here

that’s all I need for the most part

A good reminder to fight the big and bland and go the extra mile and spend the extra money where ya can to support your hometown sporting good store.
So much truth to this. Sadly enough, it’s getting harder to find them. White Elephant was iconic in the NW when I was a kid. They closed this fall. Mountain Gear was a local store that oftentimes could beat REI for price and selection. They closed. Black Sheep in Lewiston closed.

I stop at Shedhorn whenever I can. Great folks who I like to give my money to. Even though REI is no longer the local cooperative, they still aren’t Bass Pro and have a lot more gear in my wheelhouse. Grangeville, Idaho and Libby, Montana both have great mom and pop sporting goods stores. I try to be as intentional as I can to put my money in places like these.

Local Sportsmans has had nothing for months. My money has gone to cabelas/bass pro and after visiting the cabelas last week to buy a rifle sportsmans didn't have, and wouldn't have had on sale anyway, I don't see that changing.

Never really liked sportsman’s all that much. Great if they got what you need and are close by but 50/50 chance your going to have to interact with some dipshit behind the counter if your looking at guns or optics. I’ve called ahead several times to check stock on things and been told they didn’t have “that” only to go there and find “that”.

The first time I stepped in scheels Billings my first impression was just another BP or Cabela’s but man was I wrong. What a great store, knowledgeable employees that seem to enjoy working there, they match prices and sales, have ammo, powder, Primers, brass when others don’t, Unbelievable inventory of guns, fishing, pretty much everything. I spend a lot there every year. Other than that Murdoch’s amd shedhorn get my business.

I'm against their ideas on guns also, but that comment has absolutely no value to this thread and only serves to derail a discussion the OP thought was worth having. Not sure why people feel they have to add these kind of tangents.

Keep it on topic.

Guns and availability is important to us all. My comment was not a tangent nor meant to derail the thread. Although, it may not have disseminated my though very well. It is more of a sarcastic and maybe defeatist opinion on the state of being. Many of these stores rely very heavily on firearms and accessories like ammo and reloading supplies. With the inability to sell such things is a big hit to their profit. For them and others in the industry. My opinion is that with the plans of the elected officials, they may have a devastating effect on these stores. Hopefully, for them and their employees, this merger will help them stay afloat.

Derailing is not my intent. Anyone who knows me, knows I would not do that intentionally. At least I didn't start commenting about cheese...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back