MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Specks, you call em crappie

I love fishing Crappie in the Spring. They're a fun challenge and tasty.

I never knew people called them "specks." Around here, that's a term you might hear for Brook (or "speckled") Trout.

Delicious!

I was out on the ice on Sunday evening and caught a meals worth! I'd much rather be doing it from the boat though!

Growing up those who knew about them called them calico bass. You threw to the banks when they were in or fished deep structure with minnows. Then magazine articles started being written and the yankee term took over along with spider rigging and trolling.

I spent a good bit of my time in FL trolling specks. Hard to beat a sandwich of filet with a good ripe tomato. My local lake isn't much for trolling. I don't bother with it except the fall shad run. Jigging or setting up with a stadium light puts them in the cooler if you know where. Whenever anyone asks me at the dock I say I was fishing for calicosacalait so they'll stop talking to me before I have to lie.

Growing up in Michigan everyone called them specks. It wasn't until the Army started sending me to various states that I learned everyone else used the proper term "crappie". My favorite meal😋

Reactions: KB_
I've had some really fun nights crappie fishing during the shad run. One night three of us pulled in 185 keepers, plus a handful of blue cats. Catching a 4lb blue cat on a crappie pole is a whole lot of fun.

View attachment 317152View attachment 317153I've never really targeted these fish before. Giving it a go at hurdling the learning curve. Think it was an ok start. Definitely not a bad way to spend turning 50.
You did great, in Mississippi that would be called a black crappie. The best eating fish in the world in my opinion, my wife likes to catch a 14 inch crappie and eat a 9 inch crappie. In Louisiana they are called sacalait.

Specks are mighty good but the title for best eating from sweet water goes to the coon tail perch.

I had to Google coon tail perch. Never heard yellow perch called that🤣
I have heard the term "convicts" and "bandits" used for yellow perch, eludung to their stripped appearance.

Taste is subjective but there's no way perch are better than crappie😉

What is a coon tail perch? Where do you catch them?
Yep, yellow perch. Haven't heard anyone call them that in years, but we're giving fish weird names in this thread and I'm fishing.
I had to Google coon tail perch. Never heard yellow perch called that🤣
I have heard the term "convicts" and "bandits" used for yellow perch, eludung to their stripped appearance.

Taste is subjective but there's no way perch are better than crappie😉
I said what I said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back