Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

South Dakota Non-Res. Antelope/Deer Lic. Fees?

And what's the story with the "Bowhunter Education" thing? It says you are exempt if you are a "previous archery big game licensee". Does that mean in SD or any other state?

Emrah

And what's the story with the "Bowhunter Education" thing? It says you are exempt if you are a "previous archery big game licensee". Does that mean in SD or any other state?

Emrah

Holding an archery tag previously in any state qualifies.

DHaffner, I didn't mean to call you out or ruffle any feathers. You've likely spent more time in the Hills than I have but I have seen some very large mule deer in the last 5-7 years. Theres no doubt the states you listed are well above SD when it comes to mule deer but I'm going to hold out for the any deer tag until I draw it. In 2010 I saw a very large mule deer. I'm not one for scoring but the image of that deer is burned in my memory.

My group has turned to archery when we do not draw the whitetail tag and last fall they took 2 muley bucks, one of which is roughly the same as the one in your first picture. Everyone in the group saw larger muley bucks just out bow range. These deer are all seen within the same area so maybe our group stumbled on a great muley area, I don't know. I do know that I've seen enough to convince myself that I need to hold out for an any deer tag. Who knows, maybe with the tag in hand I won't even see a nice muley! Maybe I'll stick a nice on with my crossbow before I draw the rifle tag. The Hills are my favorite place to hunt so I'll be going as long as they give out tags.

Good luck to you this season.

No ruffled feathers, I hope that Mule Deer in the Black Hills come back in a big way, I just see a lot of little guys running around every year, and have spent the last decade hoping they get big and they just haven't. But I see big Mule Deer every year on the prairie, so it's an easy decision for me. The good news is the all time record Non-Typical Mule Deer for SD is from the hills, the bad news is it was harvested in 1944. Looks like the rest of the bucks on this listing are prairie bucks. I hope things turn around out there!

http://www.southdakotahunting.com/record-book/mule-deer.html

Good luck in the draws and in the field!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back