Soooo I did a dumb thing

220yotekiller

I needed a set of rings for the 22lr that I shoot my matches with. I upgraded scopes to one that has a 30 mm body. being on a tight budget I bought a ebay special (meaning cheap). When I put the scope on I stripped one of the two screws on the rear ring for sure and I think I might be very close to stripping the other. The thing that surprised me was how soft the aluminum was. Now I am second guessing myself should I give it a shot or just bight the bullet and buy good rings?

I needed a set of rings for the 22lr that I shoot my matches with. I upgraded scopes to one that has a 30 mm body. being on a tight budget I bought a ebay special (meaning cheap). When I put the scope on I stripped one of the two screws on the rear ring for sure and I think I might be very close to stripping the other. The thing that surprised me was how soft the aluminum was. Now I am second guessing myself should I give it a shot or just bight the bullet and buy good rings?
Shooting a match, that sucks. 22lr won’t have any recoil so you might try it for a one off but in the end, I’d look for a new rail

Cheap rings are probably not very concentric either. Lesson learned. But quality parts always.
What brand rifle is it?

Did you strip the screw or the receptacle hole in the ring half? You might try new screws first if you can find them locally. If it's in the ring half yer screwed. Or if they are Allen head screws I'd buy rings that fasten together with Torx screws.

Did you strip the screw or the receptacle hole in the ring half? You might try new screws first if you can find them locally. If it's in the ring half yer screwed. Or if they are Allen head screws I'd buy rings that fasten together with Torx screws.
Good question, I should check that.

I guess you are lucky you discovered how crappy they were now, instead of half-way through a match when your scope falls to the ground in front of all the spectators. Go for the Murphy Titanium Rail and Farrell steel rings, or somewhere between that and what you bought.

I guess you are lucky you discovered how crappy they were now, instead of half-way through a match when your scope falls to the ground in front of all the spectators. Go for the Murphy Titanium Rail and Farrell steel rings, or somewhere between that and what you bought.
It's only a .22 with little recoil so not sure why you'd want to pair the lightest base with the heaviest rings. A good quality aluminum ring should work fine. If you're stripping the threads in the screw holes of the ring half then you're obviously doing something wrong.

My reply was a little "tongue in cheek". Any quality brand rings and bases are better than any Chinese knock-offs of the same product. I have found lots of accesories on Ebay are designed for air soft applications, and not the real world of hunting or serious competition.

You can always go up one size screw and retap the hole. Might require opening the hole for screw shaft and head. I don't think you have to look to figure it's the ring that's stripped out. It's made of aluminum and the screw is steel. Pretty much impossible for a soft aluminum screw hole to strip threads on a steel screw.

Lifes to short to use crappy rings or crappy scopes or crappy binos or crappy rifles or eat crappy food. Crappy hats I will tolerate.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back