So for those of you in training for your Elk hunt, all going according to plan?

I guess if it's working for you, great. However, training non-stop without rest days each week is simply a recipe for chronic injury.

Cardio days are rest days. Staying on top of it keeps me from plateauing. This is what works for me. Im 26 and am in great shape. Not only have a good physical regimen, but keeping my diet locked in is 90% of the battle. My familys diet consists of pretty much everything we catch and kill. Wouldnt change that for anything.

I was finally released by the doctor Tuesday of last week. Hit it full on with walking 3-5 miles every day, weights three days a week, basketball 3-4 days a week, 2-3 days of hiking through the hills with 50lbs on my frame pack, and shooting my bow every day. Using Saturdays or Sundays as my rest days. Going to try to catch up with where I wanted to be.

Cardio days are rest days. Staying on top of it keeps me from plateauing. This is what works for me. Im 26 and am in great shape. Not only have a good physical regimen, but keeping my diet locked in is 90% of the battle. My familys diet consists of pretty much everything we catch and kill. Wouldnt change that for anything.

Awesome for you! I've been on the 5x week plan with my weekends being recovery time. I think squats are some of the best mountain training you can do without a mountain. Although when I add in all my summer running my squat numbers really take a hit. Start adding in some weighted walking lunges after your squats if you really wanna feel it. Lunges tear me up something fierce.

Diet is 90% of the battle for sure. Keep Crushing It!!

Last edited:
^^^^Love the diet comments above and couldn't agree more. A proper diet should consist of fruits, veggies, some nuts and seeds....and PLENTY of wild caught/killed fish and game! :)

My first step was to put on about 10 pounds so I wouldn't have to worry about extra weight wearing holes in my pack. Now I'm trying to take it off. Saturday I carried my skis on a 16 mile hike to get 5 minutes of turns on corn snow. It was painful.

Attachments

• image-1.png
    image-1.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 266
17.5 miles last week alternating between run day and hike days with a 32 lb pack. Situps and pushups about every other day. Today my 16 week old yellow lab puppy saw me doing situps, got a big smile on her face and attacked me. She thought it was great fun. And it wasn't all bad until she started attacking my nipples. Man, those puppy teeth are SHARP!

I've been invited on a wilderness sheep hunt. I have six weeks to get into better shape.

Rest days don't have to mean doing NOTHING. However, doing intense cardio is probably not giving you the rest days. You're 26, so you can probably get away with this for now. However, as you approach and hit your 30s you will likely find yourself batting a plethora of chronic injuries. Who designed your workout regimen for you?

When I cross trained in my 30s, a rest day was an easy 3 mile trail run. I'm now closer to 50 than 40, and my rest days are either yoga or complete rest. Two years ago I trained for and completed a 50 mile ultra, and religiously took one day off a week where I did nothing but putter, work on my mountain bike, shoot my bow, etc.

I know the trend right now is for extreme fitness. However, I would urge you exercise (no pun intended) caution. Extreme fitness in your 20's may not translate into longevity in your 50-70s. My goal is to bow hunt elk when I'm 80.

Kudos to you for the clean diet. We too largely eat wild game, with a lot of produce and brown rice thrown in the mix.

Rest days don't have to mean doing NOTHING. However, doing intense cardio is probably not giving you the rest days. You're 26, so you can probably get away with this for now. However, as you approach and hit your 30s you will likely find yourself batting a plethora of chronic injuries. Who designed your workout regimen for you?

When I cross trained in my 30s, a rest day was an easy 3 mile trail run. I'm now closer to 50 than 40, and my rest days are either yoga or complete rest. Two years ago I trained for and completed a 50 mile ultra, and religiously took one day off a week where I did nothing but putter, work on my mountain bike, shoot my bow, etc.

I know the trend right now is for extreme fitness. However, I would urge you exercise (no pun intended) caution. Extreme fitness in your 20's may not translate into longevity in your 50-70s. My goal is to bow hunt elk when I'm 80.

Kudos to you for the clean diet. We too largely eat wild game, with a lot of produce and brown rice thrown in the mix.

Elk hunting into your 80s is def. on my list! I take pride in being in shape and its also a hobby/stress reliever. Ive had/have my share of aches and pains, mostly from working on the drilling/workover rigs. Broken wrist, rotator cuffs, impingement, meniscus.. List goes on. Ive learned alot of stuff the hard way, i still hear my gramps saying "you only get one pair!" As i jumped off the tailgate. Legs he was meaning haha i have 2 great friends who each own nutrition/supplement stores and are certified in all aspects of nutrition and fitness. Which is great for me.. We also train jiu jitsu together. Prob the best cardio besides open sprinting in my book! Ryan says it keeps him young, as he's pushing his 40s... Lol. I usually mix up my training regimen sporadically. Bigger/faster/stronger program, which i used in high school is what i like to always fall back on. Also finding my target heart has helped with training.

Its my favorite time of year. My wifes garden it out of control! Walleyes are rippin' and the bugle season is juuust around the corner... Lifes good. Everyone keep hammering!!!!!

My plan coming back from Montana had been to get back into Jiu Jitsu and spend more time going on day hikes with my pack, in addition to my normal routine. Unfortunately, the bear or the pack conspired to cause a bulging disc that I've been struggling with since I got back. Going a little stir crazy, though. Need to find some sort of exercise I can do without making things worse.

Reading other's posts, i think i need to start on the squats, i take it i start out without any weights?
I think they might help with tight Achilles tendons i suffer from.
Cheers
Richard

I'd start with a low weight and work up. 3x5 sets.

I'd start with a low weight and work up. 3x5 sets.
Thanks, i will start working on that.
Training going well, although Achilles tendon is a little sore at the moment, but ice helped, along with some stretches.
Off on 8 mile hike with a 40lb pack tomorrow.
Cheers
Richard

I definitely started too late, but otherwise training is going well. Training for a hunt is pretty much the only way to get myself to take the exercising pill.

A little blip in my training, whilst my Achilles have been causing me some discomfort, i have injured my left knee, about a week ago, after a run. So i decided to opt out of training for a week and try another run tomorrow, rest and ice appear to have helped a lot.
Not sure what else i can do, i have to get fit, but pointless if i pick up a serious injury that threatens my hunt, especially as i'm about to dig deep and pay out for the airfares.

Cheers

Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back