Snake Gaiters .

isu22andy

Im a complete noob on rattlesnake country , but Im not a big fan of them after seeing a few in Western SD . Im going to be hunting antelope in Unit 6 in WY rifle season. Are rattle snakes a concern or not a big deal ? Should I invest in gaiters ? We are going all public land and likely hiking like crazy so we will be covering ground. Also do I need a pack incase I shoot one miles back in the public ?

Not sure about the snake question. When I hunted antelope by Alcova reservoir we did see a couple of rattlers, not sure about area 6 but I'm sure they have them as well.

I'd definitely get a pack if you are hunting public and hiking far from the truck. Antelope are easy to disassemble using the gutless method. When I shot mine I let the meat cool off while laying on top of some sage (evening) and then packed it all in a game bag, strapped it in my pack and away I went, hiking back to the truck. At the truck I threw it all in a cooler that had ice blocks in it. Good luck this year- hope you have a great hunt.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the leather gaiters stopping a snake bite but regardless I don't think you need them. Just watch where you're walking and placing your hands. Besides gravel roads I've only ran into one rattle snake this summer and I've spent what my wife would say is "too much time in the hills this year."

He let me know where he was long before I could see him.

Snake bites from Rattlers are not as life threatening as some may think. Not a pleasure to experience but plenty of time to get to a hospital.
I have been bitten by cotton mouths, and Eastern diamondback and timber rattlers with no serious complications.
I did not get an antivenom shot in any instance. Had some swelling, but it wasn't horrible and went away after a few days.

Avoiding a bite is as simply as leaving the critters alone. I was attempting to catch snakes when I was bitten. Once in the left thigh and three times on left hand.

Gaiters wouldn't have helped me there. But I like gaiters to help keep snow out from under my pants legs and tops of my boots.

I gotta call bullshit Millsworks! I know you can get a dry bite when they don't inject venom (or very little) but if you were bitten 4 times you would have had at least 1 that would've been significant. I know 3 people that have been bitten and 2 were in the hospital with significant swelling and extreme pain.

This article doesn't agree with your toxicity claims either. It claims only 1000-2000 bites in the US per year but death rates are still significant for the eastern and western diamondbacks.

I agree with you about avoiding them and your chances of being bitten are slim to none. People are overly fearful of them.

To the OP, if you are worried about them wear some quality leather boots and gaiters for your peace of mind. You'll enjoy your hunt a lot better and be covered on the very, very slim chance you have an encounter.

I'd worry more about your hands than your legs. I had a few close encounters while stalking antelope. A couple encounters in 30+ years. I wouldn't sweat it. Just watch where you put your hands around rocky areas, that's where I see most of them, there and around irrigation ditches and streams when it's hot.

I hunt unit #26 near Wright. By October most ranchers tell me that the snakes are already in the dens. I have never seen one that time of the year. On a side note: stay away from the P-dog towns where they like to live.

good luck to all
the dog

I've hunted in Unit 6 since 2001 with a group of 6-8 friends. In total we've seen 2 rattlers. One was a fairly large snake that was sunning itself in the middle of a two track. The other was only about a foot long and it was moving through the grass. Most years they are in their dens, or at least pretty sluggish in October. Like others have said, your hands and arms are just as likely to sustain a hit. Keep your eyes open and you should be fine.

Thanks fellas . Just heard so many different sides of the stories. Just gonna go without gaiters and be careful.

I was sure some guy out there would doubt. But I assure you all it is what happened .
If you look up snake bite victims across the country you're gonna find very few deaths.
Snakes need that venom to survive. Most bites probably have little venom if any.
Even a full dose is easily survive able with medical attention.

Not getting bitten is obviously still a good idea.
It wasn't a pleasant experience, I assure you.

I'd rather have a good set of snakeboots than a pair of gaiters. Snakeproof gaiters are way heavier than the snakeboots that I have.

Dont let your guard down just because it is October...every year can be different. A friend was leading a horse in to pick up an elk i shot and killed 12 rattlers(his thing,not mine)....in early November in Montana.Most people that get bit are messing with them.

I wear Irish Setter Vaprtrek snakeboots while bowhunting deer and turkey hunting. I walk miles in them a day during turkey season. They feel good and are lightweight. When I hunt in the swamp, I wear my Lacrosse rubber snakeboots.

I don't find the prairie rattler to be very aggressive, they will usually crawl off and the ones that don't will rattle to give you a warning. Never had one strike at me that I didn't antagonize. Have 100's of miles walking the prairie during September grouse season and sure I have only noticed 1 out of 100 snakes.

Toxicity of the prairie rattler is pretty low in the continuum of poisonous snakes. Not volunteering to take a hit though. If a person is smart on where you are walking I think you can avoid most of the issues in snake country. Stay away from prairie dog towns and south facing slopes on cool mornings. The later in the season the better off you will be keeping in mind where will the snake want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back