Snake gaiters or Regular gaiters in snake country

Have a pair of Danner Pronghorn snakeproofs that have been very comfortable and held up well for the last several years. I don't bother with snakeproofs in the west but was religious about wearing them when hunting back in Alabama. Why, you ask?

1716312571270.png

I never bothered with snake gaiters out west, but deer hunting in the south often involves busting waist high grass in the dark for me... Yeah, I am pretty religious about snake gaiters down here.
I had become accustomed to watching where I stepped while tromping through the swamps, but the time I nearly walked face-first into a moccasin wrapped around a tree limb at chest height was a gamechanger.

I asked the question as I am going to be hunting elk in early Sep in Az archery season as a non resident. This will be my first hunting trip in Az and I hear they have lots of different snakes there and when chasing bugling bulls I not always look to see where I am stepping

I once sat down in a turkey lounger, set my calls out and rested my gun across my knee only to look up and see a snek coming slithering off a limb down toward my face. I loaned the snake the chair.

I already said if I know I won't be able to watch my step I wear chaps. If that were ever hunting, those turtleskins gaiters look good. Chaps are too noisy and bulky.But, how are you going to get close to an elk's ears without watching your steps? Sometimes they're really close before you know it. Idk. I look at the ground a lot when hunting.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back