Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Silencerco Scythe Ti vs Banish Backcountry Suppressor

According to this blog post, trusts should start catching up. Fingers crossed that it’s true!

I saw another online seller (of suppressors and trusts) was sayin this gap is short lived as well. I hope they are right but I do wonder if they aren't bullish on trusts because they sell a shitload of them at large margins.

Everyone I see on RS or this site are getting fast turnarounds for individuals. Makes me wish I did individual instead of putting something in my trust.

I’m sure the fast turn over is the exception still but it sure makes me envious.
What is a fast turn around?

In looking at the specs for the Scythe-=Ti, it doesn't appear to reduce the dBs much. Am I reading the below correctly? For a 300 WM, dB is 137? That seems really high. Anything over 85dB for extended periods is considered harmful and can cause hearing damage.

1710951434022.png

I believe 135db is good for a high power rifle. They will tell you hearing protection is still needed even with a can

Interesting. So on average, it appears that most suppressors only reduce the dB levels by about 30dB. I must have naively thought that the purpose of a suppressor was supposed to reduce the dB level enough to avoid wearing ear protection. Can someone fill me in on why you would spend so much money on a suppressor and still be required to wear hearing protection?

In looking at the specs for the Scythe-=Ti, it doesn't appear to reduce the dBs much. Am I reading the below correctly? For a 300 WM, dB is 137? That seems really high. Anything over 85dB for extended periods is considered harmful and can cause hearing damage.

Most hearing protection doesn't even reduce noise by 30 db and most hunters dont wear hearing protection. So with the #'s you shared, a suppressor roughly reduces decibels to the hunter without hearing protection to levels that would be experienced by a hunter with bare muzzle rifle AND hearing protection and dB are reduced to level lower than a hunter with a muzzle brake using hearing protection.

With hearing protection, even doubled up plugs and muffs, i still much prefer shooting suppressed. There isn't the concussive blast and the recoil is also reduced in sharpness and magnitude.

Last edited:
Anything over 85dB for extended periods is considered harmful and can cause hearing damage.
Gun shots wouldn't qualify as extended periods of time, and it's important to note that the decibel scale is logarithmic (base 10), so 30 dB is a 1000x reduction in noise intensity. The goal is to reduce the noise intensity to a low enough level that brief exposure doesn't cause hearing damage; this may or may not be accomplished based on a variety of factors like barrel length, suppressor size/design, and cartridge.

Agreed, and currently I run brakes on most of my rifles so I should see a drastically improved noise intensity.

Interesting. So on average, it appears that most suppressors only reduce the dB levels by about 30dB. I must have naively thought that the purpose of a suppressor was supposed to reduce the dB level enough to avoid wearing ear protection. Can someone fill me in on why you would spend so much money on a suppressor and still be required to wear hearing protection?
Its something that you need to experience. Measuring DBs is really a fool's errand, especially on supersonic hunting cartridges. The noise of a gunshot is very high, but it is at its peak for only a brief moment. There are a couple ways to measure this, but there really is not an industry standard that makes comparison across different brands possible. As I've said before, looking up can diameter, can length, and number of baffles is a pretty good method to roughly compare capability.

The other factor is actually experiencing suppressed shooting, then you will hear what these numbers actually mean. This last season, my brother in law and I were hunting his muley tag. His new can had just been approved a couple days before. When a buck popped out at about 250, up high in a tight canyon, he lined up and sent the 300wm maybe 3 feet from my head. I didn't flinch at all and still heard the smack of impact. No ringing, no yelling to be heard, no scramble to put on ears. Now contrast that with my first time hunting. I shot a muley with my 30-06 and couldn't hear right for 4 days. You will notice a huge difference even with a minimally effective can on a hunting rifle. Then your mind will be blown with a subsonic load like 300blk or sub 22lr, they are the kind of quiet that genuinely hearing safe (I still wear ears when shooting them recreationally though).

Last edited:
Most hearing protection doesn't even reduce noise by 30 db and most hunters dont wear hearing protection. So with the #'s you shared, a suppressor roughly reduces decibels to the hunter without hearing protection to levels that would be experienced by a hunter with bare muzzle rifle AND hearing protection and dB are reduced to level lower than a hunter with a muzzle brake using hearing protection.

With hearing protection, even doubled up plugs and muffs, i still much prefer shooting suppressed. There isn't the concussive blast and the recoil is also reduced in sharpness and magnitude.
This. Even with in-ear foamies, you're getting 29-31db reduction at best, muffs are worse than this, so think of it as having foamies in every time you shoot, except without having to talk extra loud to communicate with each other. The reduction of muzzle blast and perceived recoil is just the cherry on top. Hearing damage is caused by a culmination of peak db and exposure time. A gun shot is obviously a very short duration, but with decibels being exponential, 130db vs 160db is much greater reduction in noise level than you'd think.

To the OP- I've got the Scythe, and you will not be disappointed. 57 day turnaround as an individual for me, so your goal of having it by hunting season might even be applicable for this upcoming bear season. Enjoy it when it arrives!

Where are folks ordering the scythe from? Seems like it’s out of stock many places.
I got mine off capital but that was three weeks ago now and it was the last one they had. Buddy just found one at a local shop after seeing them all out of stock online.

I'm waiting on my 3rd and 4th Silencer Central suppressors, and will NOT be doing business with them again (they had my photos/prints and it was the easy button). The only reason to go with them is if they have you on file and you like the monthly payment option. They add at least two months to your wait and customer service is pretty garbage.

The Scythe is superior is almost every way. Get that one. I'll probably grab one of those next.
How do they add time to the process?

How do they add time to the process?
They process so many Form 4's that they have a backlog of about a month from the time they take your money. Even though they had my prints, photo, etc. I still had to wait about a month and a half until I officially submitted to the ATF.

Similarly, they add 1-2 months on the backend, since they don't bother shipping your suppressor out to a local FFL until you're approved. At a local dealer, once the ATF approves your Form 4 you can go pick it up immediately. At Silencer Central, they wait about 2 weeks to get around to acknowledging your approval, then they send out a certified letter to your local Sheriff, then wait an extra 7+ days, then ship to your local FFL, then that guy turns it around in a day or two and then they ship to you...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back