Silencerco Scythe Ti vs Banish Backcountry Suppressor

CoHunter1991

I am about to pull the trigger on a can after many years of putting it off. I am down to two options and would like some opinion especially from individuals who have used both. I am torn between the Silencerco Scythe Ti and the Banish Backcountry. Thanks for the help.

I have the Banish Backcountry but don't have another suppressor to compare it to but I'm told it stacks up well with other SilencerCentral suppressors that being said SilencerCo has a history of quality products and reviews suggest the Schythe has a slightly better suppression rating. I think I prefer the Silencer Co's hub attachments though the Silencer Central Backcountry has the same thread pattern so one could probably use both brand's hub attachments.

I've not been happy with the Silencer Central buying process and it added 2 months to the purchase process. I think I'd look into a Silencer Shop or Capital Armory purchase if you can't find one locally.

Okay sounds good, That is the direction I was leaning. What added so much time to the process?

Okay sounds good, That is the direction I was leaning. What added so much time to the process?
Are you doing a trust, individual?

My first can was done through sc and I wont ever use them again. They make the process easy, so do others, but they have processes that add lots of extra time.

Like MTHunter said, go capitol, ss, or a local shop if you have one.

Everything is done by mail (fingerprints, etc) then you mail it to them and you have to schedule appointments to fill out paperwork which takes about 3-5 weeks and at the end you file your 4473 online and they mail the local LEO that you're getting a suppressor before sending your suppressor to a local (within state) FFL to do the final mailing to your address. That added about a month. I also had to fight with the local USPS office for not actually attempting to deliver packages for signature because they assumed I wasn't home.

The Scythe is more appealing to me for a few reasons.
1. reportedly suppresses better and it should because it has more volume
2. a little lighter
3. almost as short if you use a flush end cap (I think its 0.1" longer in that config?)
4. Options to go flat end cap, single port, or 3 port anchor brakes depending on one's priorities on the suppression vs recoil reduction spectrum
5. Available at a variety of retail options

I own a scythe have not used a backcountry but it seems like a solid can as well.

I thought Capital was also done by mail? Like finger prints and such. I may be wrong.

Finger prints can be done by mail or you can go somewhere that can do them digitally (not a CA "kiosk" like SS but somewhere with the equipment to log digital fingerprints). I just did paper fingerprints at home and mailed it to them. The rest of the paperwork is digital. I was happy with their operation, it takes a little while after clearing for CLEO notification, was a little under a month from clearing ATF until suppressors were delivered to my house.

My one and only experience with a local shop was terrible. They messed up my trust and other submittals and it was nearly 2 years after i bought the can til i had it cleared. Now days it sounds like a lot of shops have their poop in a group with efiling and that has to be the preferred option if you have a good one near and they have the can you want.

Last edited:
Okay that makes me feel better about the direction I was leaning. I cant believe you got yours so fast. Fingers crossed I get similar results.

The Scythe is more appealing to me for a few reasons.
1. reportedly suppresses better and it should because it has more volume
2. a little lighter
3. almost as short if you use a flush end cap (I think its 0.1" longer in that config?)
4. Options to go flat end cap, single port, or 3 port anchor brakes depending on one's priorities on the suppression vs recoil reduction spectrum
5. Available at a variety of retail options

I own a scythe have not used a backcountry but it seems like a solid can as well.

Finger prints can be done by mail or you can go somewhere that can do them digitally (not a CA "kiosk" like SS but somewhere with the equipment to log digital fingerprints). I just did paper fingerprints at home and mailed it to them. The rest of the paperwork is digital. I was happy with their operation, it takes a little while after clearing for CLEO notification, was a little under a month from clearing ATF until suppressors were delivered to my house.

My one and only experience with a local shop was terrible. They messed up my trust and other submittals and it was nearly 2 years after i bought the can til i had it cleared. Now days it sounds like a lot of shops have their poop in a group with efiling and that has to be the preferred option if you have a good one near and they have the can you want.
What is the downside of running a flush end cap vs whatever comes on it standard? What does come on the Scythe standard?

First time for me so can’t really compare the different cans or companies.
I bought a silencer central .22 can at an rmef banquet. They then offered a two for 1 sale which they offered to me even though it was after the fact. I bought a back country.
They assisted with trust. It did take a little extra time to coordinate filling the paperwork out but much of that was on my end, as I had conflicts come up with the scheduled times.

I am just waiting for the phone call…

What is the downside of running a flush end cap vs whatever comes on it standard? What does come on the Scythe standard?

A single port brake comes standard. The downside to a flush end cap is it doesn't have the recoil mitigation of a brake and it costs $ to buy. The upside is it's quieter, shorter, lighter and allows you to tape off the hole when hunting to keep debris out of your can.

Flat cap vs Single port anchor brake that comes on the scythe.
4F45D30E-91FE-4090-939E-F8EEF06AA6C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Everyone I see on RS or this site are getting fast turnarounds for individuals. Makes me wish I did individual instead of putting something in my trust.

I’m sure the fast turn over is the exception still but it sure makes me envious.

I'm waiting on my 3rd and 4th Silencer Central suppressors, and will NOT be doing business with them again (they had my photos/prints and it was the easy button). The only reason to go with them is if they have you on file and you like the monthly payment option. They add at least two months to your wait and customer service is pretty garbage.

The Scythe is superior is almost every way. Get that one. I'll probably grab one of those next.

Everyone I see on RS or this site are getting fast turnarounds for individuals. Makes me wish I did individual instead of putting something in my trust.

I’m sure the fast turn over is the exception still but it sure makes me envious.

Sure seems to be the norm rather than exception for individuals lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back