Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shooting in B'more

Bambistew

There was a mass shooting event in B'more yesterday, and I'm wondering how many of you have seen anything in your news feeds yet. I know there is bias in the news, but this is just beyond my comprehension. Don't search for it, or google will find related searches for you. This thread may even trigger it... I want to see if it shows up and report back if you've seen anything.

The only place I've seen it was in the local news for the city. 2 dead 28 shot. It was a local city block party with 100s of people present.

I live in WV and will watch the Orioles play on tv from time to time and I hadn't heard anything until I saw this post.

Hadn't heard til just now but clicked on my news fir the day and it was there, I don't usually check it but once a week.

It was in mine, but it didn't really pick up much coverage on the usual national media outlets. Must not have fit the narrative. My guess is that the group of "teens" were hosed down by another "teen" using a Glock with a switch. That's why there is a relatively high hit count with low fatalities in comparison.
I'll wait for the spin to come out and blame it on inequality or something else moronic.

It was in mine, but it didn't really pick up much coverage on the usual national media outlets. Must not have fit the narrative.

Doesn't fit the narrative, so won't get much coverage.

I copied these quotes, not to disagree with you, but for the example it provides in the context of what Bambi has presented here.

For some people this story has been frontline in their news feeds. Why? Because the algorithms are customized for that reader/viewer who clicks on topics related to shootings, crime, guns, gun control, etc. For those who might not have that clicking/consumption habit, the Baltimore event might not even make their news feed, or is at the very bottom in small text.

"The narrative" is what the AI built into algorithms thinks you want. "The narrative" is different for each of us because of how our viewing/clicking/consumption habits drive the algorithms. "The narrative" as AI has developed for me is different than it is for you, or anyone else.

I appreciate @Bambistew posting this up. Not because I want Hunt Talk littered with threads about mass shootings, rather because it shows how algorithms have formed everyone's view of the world by what the algorithm feeds/doesn't feed us. The algorithms, which are based on our behavior, have built sophisticated profiles around everyone of us and uses that AI to determine what should/shouldn't be news; in other words, to form "the narrative" we see.

If that level of influence in the information library of citizens' doesn't put a scare in everyone across the entire political spectrum, then I suspect I've got myself out in the weeds.

Not being led around the information world by an algorithm bull ring in my nose is why I subscribe to a lot of information sources to help form "the narrative" as influenced by me and not AI. I'd rather pay for information than let an algorithm decide what I should/shouldn't be informed about. It costs money, but it is worth having choices to read/consume what I want and not what a computer thinks I should.

I've come to realize how less and less of America does that. I bring the topic up a lot when issues arise that can divide people who otherwise have a lot in common. It would be interesting to know how many Hunt Talkers subscribe to news/information that is behind a paywall. I pay around $100 per month, with the sources being independent outlets and some equally to the left/right on the spectrum.

Most people I talk to just rely on whatever their newsfeed gives them. I get it; it's cheap, actually, it's free, other than the payment made via your personal information and viewing habits. In the process, the AI forms a narrative that they see in their world or what they see as the narrative of others.

For you to say that "it didn't really pick up much coverage on the usual nation media outlets" is a function of what those national media outlets think you want to see/read, based on the profile that has been built around you by the many algorithms employed.

It's not right or wrong for you to state what you did. Merely a reflection of what you are getting served by those media sources. A reflection that we all get served whatever the algorithms think we want. A soft (or maybe not so soft and just well-hidden) form of censorship.

As someone who produces content that is distributed across algorithm-controlled platforms, the last six years have been a study in how digital platforms use algorithms. The conclusions of my interest in the topic being more troublesome each day.

It is that research that causes me to put great emphasis a non-algorithmic social media platform like Hunt Talk. This platform will never have an algorithm. You can take that to the bank. You decide what you want to read here, what you want to consume, not influenced by a form of AI.

Carry on.... Just keep it to the notion of what does/doesn't end up in your feeds and why that is.

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind...The Butlerian Jihad, Frank Herbert

Guess that ship has sailed.

I copied these quotes, not to disagree with you, but for the example it provides in the context of what Bambi has presented here.

For some people this story has been frontline in their news feeds. Why? Because the algorithms are customized for that reader/viewer who clicks on topics related to shootings, crime, guns, gun control, etc. For those who might not have that clicking/consumption habit, the Baltimore event might not even make their news feed, or is at the very bottom in small text.

"The narrative" is what the AI built into algorithms thinks you want. "The narrative" is different for each of us because of how our viewing/clicking/consumption habits drive the algorithms. "The narrative" as AI has developed for me is different than it is for you, or anyone else.

I appreciate @Bambistew posting this up. Not because I want Hunt Talk littered with threads about mass shootings, rather because it shows how algorithms have formed everyone's view of the world by what the algorithm feeds/doesn't feed us. The algorithms, which are based on our behavior, have built sophisticated profiles around everyone of us and uses that AI to determine what should/shouldn't be news; in other words, to form "the narrative" we see.

If that level of influence in the information library of citizens' doesn't put a scare in everyone across the entire political spectrum, then I suspect I've got myself out in the weeds.

Not being led around the information world by an algorithm bull ring in my nose is why I subscribe to a lot of information sources to help form "the narrative" as influenced by me and not AI. I'd rather pay for information than let an algorithm decide what I should/shouldn't be informed about. It costs money, but it is worth having choices to read/consume what I want and not what a computer thinks I should.

I've come to realize how less and less of America does that. I bring the topic up a lot when issues arise that can divide people who otherwise have a lot in common. It would be interesting to know how many Hunt Talkers subscribe to news/information that is behind a paywall. I pay around $100 per month, with the sources being independent outlets and some equally to the left/right on the spectrum.

Most people I talk to just rely on whatever their newsfeed gives them. I get it; it's cheap, actually, it's free, other than the payment made via your personal information and viewing habits. In the process, the AI forms a narrative that they see in their world or what they see as the narrative of others.

For you to say that "it didn't really pick up much coverage on the usual nation media outlets" is a function of what those national media outlets think you want to see/read, based on the profile that has been built around you by the many algorithms employed.

It's not right or wrong for you to state what you did. Merely a reflection of what you are getting served by those media sources. A reflection that we all get served whatever the algorithms think we want. A soft (or maybe not so soft and just well-hidden) form of censorship.

As someone who produces content that is distributed across algorithm-controlled platforms, the last six years have been a study in how digital platforms use algorithms. The conclusions of my interest in the topic being more troublesome each day.

It is that research that causes me to put great emphasis a non-algorithmic social media platform like Hunt Talk. This platform will never have an algorithm. You can take that to the bank. You decide what you want to read here, what you want to consume, not influenced by a form of AI.

Carry on.... Just keep it to the notion of what does/doesn't end up in your feeds and why that is.

Hopefully people read this a few times to try and understand it. I've been watching and tweaking my feed for years because it's pretty obvious to see how the various systems whether it's Google, Instagram, Facebook, or whatever react to your actions.

For example, most recently the story about the club pro at the US Open on the PGA tour sparked my curiosity so I clicked on a couple of stories. I don't follow golf, but my news feed has been inundated with the PGA tour and only in this past couple of weeks it has cleared up because I opted out or turned off notifications or tried to tweak my suggestions.

With Facebook, I'm extremely careful what I click on or even view or a period of time because of what can be considered an " impression". It's amazing the amount of information individuals will gladly volunteer on social media platforms.

It's certainly a two-way street, but it's incredible how one's digital actions drive their own narrative.

On the TV or newspaper front, many outlets are owned my private equity firms (McClatchy) or conglomerates so much of what is going to get broadcast or featured is the same across channels/platforms....that can certainly be a bit more "doesn't fit the narrative" driven, but it's also true that they know what their reader/viewers typically want as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back