Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Seized Cylinder on Revolver

ChavytheGoat

I acquired a Pietta 1851 Navy "confederate" .44 cal brass frame for a good price because they stated the cylinder was corroded and stuck. I figured it would be an easy fix involving penetrating oil and a sonic cleaner......well after hours in the sonic cleaner and a lot of Kroil later, I still cannot get the cylinder to break free. Almost all of the corrosion has been cleaned, however, I cannot figure out for the life of me why this cylinder is stuck! If anybody has run into this issue and has fixed it please help. I have taken it apart, coated it in Kroil, used a sonic cleaner, tried hammering and prying it off. I think my next step will be to give it a Kroil bath for about a week? Then take it to a gunsmith. Thoughts? Ideas?

Is the cylinder pin seized up inside the cylinder? That would be tough to break free if so.

You might want to try carefully heating up the stuck part with a heat gun (not a torch) and some light hammering with a brass hammer if you have one. The combination of heat, Kroil and vibration work great on stuck parts. Along with time.

You might want to try carefully heating up the stuck part with a heat gun (not a torch) and some light hammering with a brass hammer if you have one. The combination of heat, Kroil and vibration work great on stuck parts. Along with time.
Might try this, would have to get a brass punch and hammer probably.

If you think its from powder residue, I'd try scalding hot water with a good bit of Dawn dish soap. If congealed oil, parts/brake cleaner. Either way a good soak will likely be needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back