Seized cylinder, HELP!

ChavytheGoat

I acquired a Pietta 1851 Navy "confederate" .44 cal brass frame for a good price because they stated the cylinder was corroded and stuck. I figured it would be an easy fix involving penetrating oil and a sonic cleaner......well after hours in the sonic cleaner and a lot of Kroil later, I still cannot get the cylinder to break free. Almost all of the corrosion has been cleaned, however, I cannot figure out for the life of me why this cylinder is stuck! If anybody has run into this issue and has fixed it please help. I have taken it apart, coated it in Kroil, used a sonic cleaner, tried hammering and prying it off. I think my next step will be to give it a Kroil bath for about a week? Then take it to a gunsmith. Thoughts? Ideas?

Are you sure it's stuck because of corrosion? I've had some brass frames that stretched or shifted which messed up the action timing.
The worst was a 1858 Remington that a guy was loading way to heavy.

I've seen brass frame revolvers that were constantly loaded to the top of the cylinder with powder.
Makes ramming the wad & bullet a PITA to get it down far enough so the cylinder would turn.
He loaded like that for 20 years or so.

Used to sit the pistol in a mixture of boiling water and vinegar.
Dry well, lube & reassemble.
He wasn't the best at cleaning right after he shot black powder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back