SB 442 - Habitat and Access

HB 868, which contains the statutory appropriation for SB 442 among other compnenents, was vetoed along with SB 442.

That veto has been overridden as of last night.

This is a solid step in the right direction and provides a pretty good idea of where the Legislature is at post-session. Not sure how many vetoes have been overridden at this point, but I can think of at least 3-4.

Any updates on this front from the past couple of months?

The Governor & Secretary of State have both sent in their responses and have asked for the case to be dismissed. I haven't seen their responses yet but expect to see them this week.

That will set off some action w/the judge. Should be more in the next few weeks.

There's also this: https://helenair.com/news/state-reg...cle_535de5fe-3de2-11ee-bcaa-c7e020dcd657.html

Kudos to FWP for moving on what they can in this realm.

Any updates on this? It seems to have fallen off the collective radar

Sorry for the delay: Things are still waiting for finality while motions and responses are filed. Thinking there will be a decision from the court within the next month.

If the judge sides with the plaintiffs, then the Secretary of State will need to send out the poll. That starts the clock on the 30 day window for returning ballots (IIRC).

If successful, plaintiff organizations & the sponsor of the bill will be pushing hard for the required 2/3 vote to overturn the veto.

If that happens, I would expect more attacks on the recreational marijuana funding to happen to take back at least the 20% of the revenue for county roads in the 2025 legislative session.

The counties of Montana having just lost a lawsuit against the State due to the State feeling Montanans should pay higher taxes than the counties felt, I read the other day that a poll is going out to lawmakers regarding reconvening for a special session related to the high taxes they knew were coming 6 months ago but folks are now actually pissed off about.

It doesn't seem it is likely to happen because of politics, but it made me wonder if such a session would be a potential venue for a resurrection of this bill.

The counties of Montana having just lost a lawsuit against the State due to the State feeling Montanans should pay higher taxes than the counties felt, I read the other day that a poll is going out to lawmakers regarding reconvening for a special session related to the high taxes they knew were coming 6 months ago but folks are now actually pissed off about.

It doesn't seem it is likely to happen because of politics, but it made me wonder if such a session would be a potential venue for a resurrection of this bill.

As there is still a lawsuit going on regarding the constitutionality of the veto, I doubt this would happen and I'd be surprised if the Leg had the votes to convene regardless.

There is still quite a bit of road left for 442 and it all goes through Judge Menahan's court.

How'd it go?

Here's an article on it:

Talked with some folks who were there and they thought it was a good hearing with some very good questions asked by the judge. Not sure when there will be a ruling.

@Ben Lamb Should we be making calls to our lawmakers to ask them to vote to override the veto or is an override a sure thing?

Never too early to hit them up. There is still some work to be done on the legal end, especially ensuring that the writ is executed and the SOS sends out the poll (which I have every belief that they will). Given the way the writ came down, the clock is starting at the SOS Office, which has 5 business days to get the poll out. Not 100% on timelines just yet, and I know a ton of groups are working on helping secure the vote, so more will be coming in the next few days - but if you have a relationship with your legislator, talk to them and remind them that this is a good bill, that helps all Montanans.

As a reminder, the bill has 4 main components:

1.) Increase funding for addiction services: This bumps the HEART Fund up to 6% of Recreational MJ revenue, significantly increasing investments in addiction treatment & family services to help deal with the opioid crisis. (Gov recommended)
2.) Property Tax Relief: About $6 million in permanent property tax relief for our nation's disabled veterans & their spouses. (Gov recommended)
3.) 20% of Rec Rev goes to county road maintenance, with areas of high recreation value getting more funding based on a formula woven around public land, accessible private, etc.
4.) Conservation: the bill preserves critical funding for non-game, trails and parks maintenance (12% total) and seeks to create a new enterprise fund that feeds an expansion of the WHIP program to include many other facets of habitat conservation including noxious weeds, water infrastructure, partnering with tribal wildlife entities, terrestrial habitat stewardship, grazing planning, and so much more.

Latest story I've seen on it: https://missoulian.com/news/state-r...ad6b8faec.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back