Caribou Gear

SB 442 - Habitat and Access

MTWF already sent me an email that they are bringing it back in the '25 session

Being 'unvoted' seems an abdication of responsibility. Until voters make them pay, they will continue to get screwed.
Many Republicans stated early on that they didn’t agree with the court’s decision to send the veto override out for vote and would not be voting. Not sure they could get much more spineless. Can’t even stand up for their own Legislative authority to override a veto. At least vote No.

Being 'unvoted' seems an abdication of responsibility. Until voters make them pay, they will continue to get screwed.
Until Montana elects legislators who can read, write right, learn, and legislate ... the state is in a dark quagmire, with no footing forward.
Again ... that's why I'd rather see them convene for two days every ninety years, instead of ninety horrible days every two years!

I cant think of a clearer example of political gamesmanship taking priority over the wishes of the constituency than this right here. Outrageous.
Maybe someone closer to the ground can help. It is still hard to understand the "why" part. Sure, it's probably money, but it is hard to see exactly where the money is going. It was basically something everyone agreed to, so it is hard to find an opponent who directly benefitted. Those who didn't mail in the vote this time are basically following the party line - which is apparently just a big F U to all constituents. Do those reps think they have a political career outside of the circus that is the Montana legislature?

I would love to see it voted on the first day in 2025 session.

Maybe someone closer to the ground can help. It is still hard to understand the "why" part. Sure, it's probably money, but it is hard to see exactly where the money is going. It was basically something everyone agreed to, so it is hard to find an opponent who directly benefitted. Those who didn't mail in the vote this time are basically following the party line - which is apparently just a big F U to all constituents. Do those reps think they have a political career outside of the circus that is the Montana legislature?

Yep. It’s real disappointing. A lot of legislators surrender their role as a coequal branch of government, and instead become the executive office’s bitch. It’s disappointing when the independent thought I felt certain reps were exhibiting in their responses to 442 during the session were abandoned.( including my own rep who voted yes last year and no yesterday )

I think what’s in it for them is the alleviation of pressure that comes with the party doing all your thinking for you and not going against the tribes leadership grain and the political capital one gains by being a good soldier.

...not going against the tribes leadership grain and the political capital one gains by being a good soldier.
Agree, I just can figure out what the political capital gained would be. The overwhelming desire to be part of the tribe seems to be the only reason I can come up with. Given this whole thing started with a citizen ballot initiative 190 to legalize weed on the premise much of the taxes would go to conservation, it seems the R's in Montana are set on pissing off as many people as possible.

Busse should put signs up along roads that say "this pothole was brought to you by GG".

To me the "why" is one of the easier parts to understand in my mind: It's an election year. The Party needs to show a united front behind their governor, because even though he vetoed much of this last session's Crazy, he's still going to let slide even more of the supermajority's stuff. Right now consolidating power, standing with the Party, before the election is much more important. It's not money, it's Power.

And there were two very persuasive arguments presented to help kill this in the last couple months: first, that many of the counties not paying in to the tax would benefit (and how dare taxes go to help other Montanans!), and second, the judiciary (when they rule against them) has become the Enemy. These two arguments have significant pull among some.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back