Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sausage

roytax

Hi guys I just got a meat grinder and I was waondering do any of you have recipes for sausage. Any recipe is welcome. Thank you and have a nice day.

roytax,
Here's a recipe Elk hunter and I make, so I thought you may want to try it. It is very good.

Italian Sausage
5 pound batch

5 pounds venison or elk burger
25% suet
3teaspoon Fennel Seeds
4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
5 teaspoon Dried Oregano
2 ½ teaspoon Salt
3 cloves fresh Garlic
1 ½ teaspoon Ground Pepper (black pepper)
4 oz. Parmesan Cheese
1 chopped Bell Pepper
1 teaspoon Basil
½ Onion
2 tablespoon Sugar
1 ½ teaspoon Ground Red Pepper

Mix with burger - add water to help moisten and help marinade - add to a mushy consistency
Cover and let sit in fridge for 24 hours

Stuff into skins or use loose like burger

Note:This was originally made with 15%suet and felt it was too dry so I increased it to 25%. When we make it we do it in 50 lb. batches. I also cut back on the hot peppers as others said it was a little too hot. This is my own recipe made up from a combination of 4 different recipes. Hope you enjoy it.

L.B.

We used to make Italian sausage and Chorizo out of the wild pigs. I'll get the recipes from my brother. The chorizo was more like taco meat than the chorizo you buy in the store. We loved it in breakfast burritos in hunting camp! Chorizo, onions, scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa...all wrapped up in a warm tortilla...YUM!

Suet is hard fat, usually found around the kidneys and loins. 25% suet would mean 3 pounds of meat and 1 pound of suet. I used to add between 10 and 20 percent fat and suet to my ground wild pig meat. Without it, it was as dry as toast.

You should be able to get some good suet from your local supermarket, probably at no charge. I get mine from my local processor and pay $1 per pound as the local market here no longer gives it away. Where ever you choose to get it, ask them to grind it up for you. It is free and their grinders do it a lot easier and a lot faster. Also try to stay away from pork fat as it breaks down in the freezer and will only lasts a few months. I always use beef fat and have had it in the freezer for over a year with no problems.

Here Ya go RoyTax

Venison Oven Sausage

15 pounds venison hamburger mixed with beef fat

1 teaspoon garlic powder

3 tablespoons coarse black pepper

1 teaspoon Lawry's hickory smoked salt

1-1/4 teaspoon Mase

2/3 cup brown sugar

1-1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

1 cup Morton's Tender Quick salt meat cure

1 teaspoon accent

1-1/2 bottle ( 4 oz.) liquid smoke

1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt

Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate covered tightly for 24 hours. Pack the mixture into unbleached white muslin sleeves, measuring 4 x 12 inches long. Pack meat tightly and tie ends together. Place bags of meat on broiler pans and bake 5 hours at 225 degrees. Turn over when 1/2 baking time is complete. When complete, open oven door and remove rolls when cool.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05 May 2001 21:59: Message edited by: RavenBeauty ]</font>

Back