Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sagebrush Fires and Deer Behavior

Bomber

One of my mule deer hunting spots was burned in late July. It's a sagebrush canyon, with (very) few junipers scattered about. I have some thoughts about hunting burned timber, but no idea how the deer react to fires in open sagebrush canyons. I'm sure it will be flush with new growth next spring, but we've had very little rain since July to kickstart any plants this summer. The season opens on October 1 and I only have a day or two to scout before then.

I'd be grateful for insight into deer behavior in such a scenario. Should I focus my scouting and hunting in other areas, or will the deer already be using the recently burned land?

Last edited:
I'm no biologist, but I've heard that mature sage fields can be a hundred years old or older, and that in some cases it may take decades for it to return after a fire. Personally ide be looking into different areas. But if you have a lot of time, it cant hurt to do a drive by and see how the place is looking/progressing after the fire. Hunting burnt timber after its received some moisture is a different ball game.

If the burn got some m moisture after the fire it may have generated some browse for the deer. Check it out to see the regeneration progress, then you'll know if it is good for hunting.That sage might very well take years to regrow but buckbrush may get started, better for the deer.

I have seen deer "in the black" within days of a sagebrush fire. That said, I'd probably focus on the edges of the fire unless it was a "dirty" burn. Meaning a lot of unburned islands inside the fire boundary.

PS- As a sagebrush nerd, the two above are correct. It'll be some time before that area is covered in sagebrush as it doesn't resprout, it has to recolonize an area from seed. That said, lots of other plants that make good deer chow do resprout.

It'll be some time before that area is covered in sagebrush as it doesn't resprout, it has to recolonize an area from seed. That said, lots of other plants that make good deer chow do resprout.

Since the burn was in a canyon and I assume OR, it could be Bolander silver sagebrush and will resprout after fire. All may not be lost. Now that UT sagebrush......hahaha

Since the burn was in a canyon and I assume OR, it could be Bolander silver sagebrush and will resprout after fire. All may not be lost. Now that UT sagebrush......hahaha
Silver sagebrush?!?! That stuff's fake. ;) You caught me. When I think of sagebrush my mind goes straight to the 3 "big" sagebrush species; Wyoming, Mountain, and Basin.

Oh ElkStalker, I hunt in sage country all the time for deer. That sage bedding area right next to the alfalfa circle!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back