Ruby Mountains (Montana) Access

Beartooth83

I realize access to public land is limited, but I see a few possible entry points to public access in the Ruby's. For those of you that have spent any time up there, please correct me if I'm wrong on the following:

You can gain access via the following:

1) On the south end, Cottonwood Cr/Stone Cr Rd.
2) On the northeast side, it looks like there may be a road between Loorin Canyon Rd and Spring Canyon Rd that could provide access.
3) And on the northwest side, a Spring Canyon Rd. (same name as a road on the east side)

I know the Ruby's are not a big range, but I'm intrigued to give them a go for archery elk. Info seems a bit lacking, which is one of the main reasons I want to give it a try.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,859
Pin drops might be because people don't like open postings on spots they specifically hunt. Another way to do it might be to ask to engage in a PM conversation with someone willing to share info on the Ruby Mountains in general and then get specific once that conversation goes private. Just a thought.

And no I do NOT hunt the Ruby Mountains.

If I remember correctly, "Elk Hunting Montana" by Jeff Ballard has a section on the Ruby's. I can take a look at the book when I get home.

Steep and rocky looking country in the Rubys, but there are some areas in the range that have caught my eye.

The number two all-time nontypical Montana mule deer was shot there in 1960, but times have changed over the past 54 years.

Yeah cottonwood is a good access point. We were just up there this spring bear hunting. Beautiful Mountains saw lots of Elk and Deer.

If I recall correctly Ben and I scouted the Spring Canyon entrance. It is (maddeningly) 20 yards from public land, but you have to walk up a trail 2 miles to actually access it.

If I recall correctly Ben and I scouted the Spring Canyon entrance. It is (maddeningly) 20 yards from public land, but you have to walk up a trail 2 miles to actually access it.

If that. Looked like great country though. I'd get a Forest Travel Map. I think there's a few roads up in the forest that are open.

Bradley livestock owns about half of the area on that map. He used to allow hunting but people abused it and he shut the place down to everyone except a select few. I have spent a little time in the Ruby's and have run into elk. The access is difficult, but if you are willing to study maps, carry a gps with a landowner chip, and hunt hard you can have a descent hunt.

Carnage is dead on. I have spent 4 days in that immediate country very recently and hard success finding animals but nothing that was actually huntable. We spotted a good herd late one day from a ridge top and then next morning headed out that spot and they had ventured back to private land. I have seen a few good muley"s up in that area also. Never been there doing archery season though. We accessed it from the south

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back