Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rookie to the west.

PlusFive

Hello,

I am new to the fourm and western hunting in general. However, I am not new to hunting. I grew up an avid, some might say obsessed, whitetail and turkey hunter in west central Wisconsin. Due to an imminent move to Bozeman MT this August, I applied for my general non res elk deer combo license.

This thread to many might appear redundant, but I would like to condense the information from many threads into one. Which is, what are the essential tools/rules for a western public land hunt? Specifically south west MT.

Already being an avid hunter you can assume I have a top quality rifle and bow, and am proficent with both. In this place I am looking for the easily forgotten objects or skill sets that a midwest whitetail hunter may overlook when planning his or her trip due to lack of expirence.

Thank you in advance and I am truly jumping out of my skin in excitement for the chance to chase mountian game.

Optics, boots, backpack and conditioning are some things more needed out there than what you use chasing whitetails and turkeys.

Boots and packs are the two most foreign peices of equipment to me. By foreign I dont mean that I dont use them, rather the purposes are different.

I know it gets cold in MT. As it does in my home hunting grounds. However, whitetail hunting usually invovles perching over a food source for hours on end in a tree. Therefore, my boots are all 800 to 1200 gram insulated. Most are rubber for the swamps as well. Would an 800 gram 8 inch hunting boot be too much for there? I have heard several hunters, none really from MT yet say that anything over 400 gram is extra weight to which I wonder how much time is really spent remaiming in a hiding or glassing position for ambush?

Long question short, should a western boot be made for warmth or mobility?

Optics are likely needing an upgrade. Most western hunters like 10x40. I use 8x but thats because I do most of my hunting in the east. Get used to hunting with your eyes instead of ears if you are like most guys heading west for the first time. Also under optics, get a good rangefinder. You will likely have little ability to judge distance out there. I prefer leica and you can often find some good deals on ebay.

As mentioned boots and packs are a must. Depending on your feet you may or may not need insulation. I prefer no insulation and will add socks as necessary. Yes you are going after mobility and there are several threads on advise for reasonable priced boots and packs.

Spend some money on wool baselayers. In my opinion if you start there you can make do with bargain outerlayers if you are warm and dry underneath. Wool won't stink like synthetics.

Get used to using binos all the time. I've hunted with guys who don't and they never see squat. Good luck on the move.

Thanks speedgoat! I never though about wool and scent, I always used carbon synthetic clothing here in the east. I will take that into account when packing.

Do not and I mean DO NOT!! Skimp on boots, I like Cabela's by Meindl, I dont mind spending $250 when they come with a lifetime guarantee, thats life of the boot, so it they leak in a year, take them back!. While alot of the day is spent scouring territory, there will be times when you are just sitting still and its 0 degrees, I like 400gram thinsulate, nice cross between no insulation and a big bulky plus boot.

Not my finest quality, but I can turn scent control baselayers stanky before I get out of the truck in the morning. Wool will hold for a couple of days if need be. Plus they aren't cool to the touch and insulate when wet.

I went on my first SOLO archery elk trip in Colorado last year. I was in the mountains for three weeks straight. It was the greatest adventure and time of my life. I didn't shoot an elk, and a few things failed on me but I was completely o.k with it. I had a bad ass to tell all my city friends.

I played around the idea of elk hunting for years but it always a backburner. My advice for a golden rule is to be fully committed. Set a date, take time off work, do your homework and PREPARE. Preparation will be a big part off your off season since its not like walk to the back yard tree stand.

Information about gear, maps, location, you will find everywhere, especially on this form.

Dedication is the key to a successful hunter and success in life. Dedicate your time to studying maps but more importantly get a good pack, boots and start conditioning your body. Go on short hikes with the pack and boots a few days out of the week. Take a few long runs, stretching routines, healthy diet. Don't worry too much about your shooting skills since those are developed and in muscle memory.

+1 on wool base.

I got turned on to Merino wool from Kings from reading this forum. I was never into material much. Didnt pay attention. WOW it makes a huge difference, and thats just my nose.

Thanks speedgoat! I never though about wool and scent, I always used carbon synthetic clothing here in the east. I will take that into account when packing.

Congrats on making to move out west!!

You can ditch your scent blocker for chasing mulies and elk. Wind is the only scent control that works.

Good breathable layers, with merino as your baselayers is the way to go. I wouldn't sweat having camo, just good mountaineering/hiking clothes. Check out the REI clearance area.

If you have a limited budget stick to investing in the basics that have been mentioned. Boots, Pack, Binos. Most guys I know from the Midwest take these for granted.

-A good MTN boot is going to run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 and up, and are worth every penny. Try several brands on and find what fits your foot. You might wait until you get out there, as you will find a much better selection to try on.

-Don't be shy about looking for a used pack to save some money. If you are going to be at it for a while, invest in a decent pack. Mystery Ranch/Kifaru/Stone Glacier/EXO MTN are all good and will last a long time.

-Binos: 10x42 is going to be the most popular for western hunting, and buy the best you can afford. You are going to use them 100x more than you do now. IMO, about $500-600 is going to get you into a pretty decent bino.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back