MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle Tag for 700 Missouri Breaks Elk

fowl_minded

I have been doing a lot of reaserch on this tag and have came up with a few different senarios on how i would like to hunt it. Just curious if anyone has drawn this tag and has hunted these same areas.
1. Accessing the lake by a boat and doing a 7 to 10 day hunt in the Billy Creek Area, i have heard lots of great things about this area i am well aware of the terrain in this spot and know that it is very demanding. My thoughts are to try to get into many places that most guys wont go because its a little out of there range.
2. Accessing the Snow Creek Bay by boat and hunting that area.

Has anyone here hunted or know of anyone that has hunted these areas? Obviously these breaks tags do have some horror stories and im not looking to become one of them. I am also curious that if anyone has hunted these areas is it worth doing all the work and setting up camp out of a boat or is it easier out of a truck and getting in there doing spike camps and what not.

Thanks

If I were you I would camp at Bone Trail and take the boat across the lake over to Billy Creek and Snow Creek areas every morning. Bone trail gives you a central location from where it sounds like you want to hunt. I've never elk hunted 700 but the only knock against it I usually hear is when it begins to get pressured elk congregate on the hard to access private land.

I have hunted it alot and hold a few good spots for future. Billy creek is a great start. Don"t hesitate to hike all the way to the top against the private....good things will await you!

All I know is that I have seen some GREAT bulls along the lake in that area and you are in for an awesome hunt!! Keep us updated on how it unfolds! Good Luck!!

Late update

I have had a couple people ask how we did on this hunt so i thought i would just through a couple pictures up. My brother is the one that had the tag and it was his first ever bull so i was glad to see him get one. it was a quick hunt ( like 15 minutes). i wanted to do something kinda way off the beaten path, my dad and brother not so much so i asked a buddy of mine and he got us hooked up with a ranch he used to work on a few years ago. So we went up to his place the second week of the season. on the first night we get there my dad and brother are wanting to go out and get the lay of the land. and in the first 15 minutes i look over to my left and said there's a bull and he happens to be with about 12 other bulls. The wind was blowing 90 and i am thinking to myself "o well it will be good to get out and stretch the legs after the drive to the ranch." We got out and put a sneak in on him and his buddies and my brother looks at me and goes "I'm dumping him!" the rest was history. Hes a good bull he measured 348 1/4, with 53" main beams! My brother has been on some rough elk hunting trips with me and my dad and usually by the time we are done he is thinking "I am never doing this again!" So i was glad for him to have a good quick successful hunt and especially proud of the bull he took. I cant wait to draw the tag myself or my Dad hes been applying for 45 years and never drawn a Breaks Rifle Tag! So wish him the best for the upcoming draw. And good luck to you all in the upcoming draws and seasons!

Attachments

• Christians Breaks Bull 2.jpg
    Christians Breaks Bull 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Christians Breaks Bull.jpg
    Christians Breaks Bull.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,415
Had that tag a couple of years ago. It was fun hunting, but way less elk compared to archery, which is to be expected. I ended up killing a pretty nice bull on a very sub-zero hunting day. I'm not much help with the area you are looking at, and can't give the locations I hunt as they are not mine to give. A very good friend helped me when I first started hunting out there, and was instrumental in my rifle tag success. Have fun!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 733

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back