Caribou Gear Tarp

Revenge of the Elk. aka how to screw hunting season

Missoulaz28

So shit happens and I understand that. but I'm kind of bummed.

On Saturday night the wife and I were sitting down to eat some dinner and I had a piece of elk steak that I decided to choke on. :( So I go hack it up into the garbage, nothing major. The extreme chest pain that started immediately after was another story. Made the trip to the ER thinking I had a chunk of food in my lung. A couple x-rays and a CT later and they find a tare in my esophagus. The new hurry that the docs get lets me know that's not good. A couple hours later and I was on life flight to Seattle to be checked out by a Thoracic Surgeon. They check me out and set me up to be monitored, with constant vital checks to make sure an infection didn't start.

After 36 hours of living off an IV they decide I'm not going to need surgery :) but I don't get to eat anything. :( So they throw a feeding tube down my nose and hooked me up to a pump that gets to be my buddy for 20 hours a day.
IMAG0350.jpg
The worst part about it is that the pain subsided reasonably soon, so I was laid up in a hospital for 3 days feeling perfectly fine, except for the tube stuck down my nose. I was able to come home on Wednesday, partly in thanks to my brother (randy11) flying my mom over to drive me home.

Plan is Feeding tube for a week, then a Liquid diet for anywhere from 1-4 weeks depending on how I'm doing. With a restricted diet after that.
Meaning that the ~month leading up to hunting season I'll be on the worlds crappiest diet for having energy. Plus the beauty of having thousands of dollars worth of bills coming in the next couple months has me kind of bummed out.
I'm ok with skipping most of the season, but the Missouri breaks rifle elk tag I have this year is something I don't want to miss out on. The only upside is that I am not limited on activity once I get the tube out.

Sorry for the venting, just sitting here bummed as can be thinking about what the next couple months are going to entail.

Man hope you get better soon. That elk had it out for you. Same thing happened to a buddy at work last year with me he chocked on an aspirin and tore his. Bad deal.

Dang that sucks.

My wife is an endoscopy nurse. These things happen and as long as you follow your doctor's orders you'll be back to yourself in no time. Hopefully in time to go to the breaks. Good luck healing.

Man that stinks! But it could've been a lot worse. Take care. The elk and the mountains will be waiting for you.

Get well soon.

On the up side, if you go into the woods with that tube, it will make menu selection pretty easy. :D

Bummer deal. A friend of my wife tore her esophagus a couple of months ago. The restricted diet did not sound like much fun.

The only questions left are how big of a bull you're going to kill, and how small we're going to make you cut up your victory tenderloin in camp.

Glad it ended up better than it could have.

Sorry to hear this, wow what deal. My mom would always say to chew each bite 100 times. I never have been able to do that, but this certainly makes you think twice about how you consume your food.

Wow. Never heard of anything like that before.

Hope you get better in time to go shoot a big one though!

What can I say... it sucks, I Know. Crushed a disc in my back a few many moons ago and went under the knife. Long story, made short....I manaed to escape (and i Do mean escaped the house) with the aid of a couple of buddies and made to deer camp for a couple of days. No horns to brag about, but I did sit and popped 2 does from a stand.

There's Hope, as long as there is will !!!!

Good news is you have plenty of time to conspire with your reprobate buddies until the season comes push to shove. Good Luck, speedy recovery.

Get well soon, glad you don't need surgery. Also had a family member that needed it surgically repaired. Can you do any elk calls out of the tube?

That bull came back to bite you. Hope you are feeling better soon, and this doesn't cramp your style too much this fall. Hopefully, we can link up when I am out helping your brother chase moose.

Take it easy!

Thanks Ross, I knew it was too easy getting him. Especially after seeing you get yours out. Little did I know it was the most delayed pain in the rear elk ever.

I'll for sure meet up with the great moose chase. Was hoping to take some time off and help, maybe not now though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back