Remington 700 warning

James Riley

Banned
I've had a Remington 700 for over 40 years and, prior to going muzzle loader and bow, I killed a lot of deer and elk with it and I've never had a problem.

Nevertheless, last night on CNBC I saw a show about an alleged fault with the weapon. The show convinced me that I will never chamber a round again until I send it back to the factory (for free) and get it fixed. You may want to look into it. Some mom killed her son, a guy blew his foot off, etc. . . .

I can't believe I never heard of this until last night. It's been an issue since the 1970s and only now I find out? Testament to the ability of attorney's and marketing to keep things hidden. Maybe you people knew already but I didn't.

If it's the trigger/safety issue that has led to some accidental discharges, it's not new news...

I can't believe you just found out about this either. It's been all over the news and common knowledge for several years now.

The real warning should be the garbage grade guns coming out of Remington post 2006 with the freedom group buy out.

Real Remington issues are things like a bolt handle brazed to the bolt body prone to shearing, a massively undersized bolt handle and the ability to rust in pretty much any environment if looked at wrong especially on the SPS models.

If you are worried about the trigger just install a Timney.

The real warning should be the garbage grade guns coming out of Remington post 2006 with the freedom group buy out.

Real Remington issues are things like a bolt handle brazed to the bolt body prone to shearing, a massively undersized bolt handle and the ability to rust in pretty much any environment if looked at wrong especially on the SPS models.

If you are worried about the trigger just install a Timney.

This.

Are these issues (bolt and rust) with the post or pre 2006 models?

What years/models had the trigger issues?

Last edited:
My questions also.
I had the $20 Remington fix applied to the safety on my 1971 Remington 700 BDL. Do I now need to worry about trigger safety?

I searched the Remington website high and low, not finding answers to those questions, Rob.

The trigger/safety issues are one and the same. There's a ton of aftermarket triggers out there, that are far better than the factory Remington. Jewell, timney, etc. I put Rifle Basix on all my 700s.

Post 2006 on the rust.

The bolt being brazed is inherent to the production life of the rifle I believe.

The X-Mark trigger was the original fix to the Remington trigger issue, but those also have issues and are essentially a cartridge unit designed to no be tampered with.

No, it's a glue issue.

Go to Rem web site and input your serial to determine if yours is effected.

I am NOT defending Remington, however not one person would have been injured or killed
if the person handling the rifle kept the barrel pointed in a safe direction!

Remington should have fixed the problem when they learned about many years ago. But they didn't.

I never liked Remington's trigger to begin with, so I immediately replaced them on the two M700s
I purchased a few years back with Timney Triggers. Inexpensive and adjustable.

You've owned 700's for forty years and haven't killed someone accidentally yet because of a gun malfunction? Amazing! You must be living on borrowed time. :)

Actually, all 700's are junk and should be disposed of immediately. I'm currently looking to help someone properly dispose of a youth model 700 in .243. Even though they should just be thrown away, I'd be willing to pay all the shipping charges to get it to my house. :)

You've owned 700's for forty years and haven't killed someone accidentally yet because of a gun malfunction? Amazing! You must be living on borrowed time. :)

Actually, all 700's are junk and should be disposed of immediately. I'm currently looking to help someone properly dispose of a youth model 700 in .243. Even though they should just be thrown away, I'd be willing to pay all the shipping charges to get it to my house. :)
I've tried this angle before. It's wierd, no takers. mtmuley

Post 2006 on the rust.

The bolt being brazed is inherent to the production life of the rifle I believe.

The X-Mark trigger was the original fix to the Remington trigger issue, but those also have issues and are essentially a cartridge unit designed to no be tampered with.

Not entirely so. They can be adjusted just like the originals. It is easy to replace the trigger spring with a lighter one, making them a very respectable trigger. Erniethe gunsmith.com sells a great spring with instructions on how to install it. Mine sets at two pounds, twelve ounces and has passed all possible safety tests.

A lot of the problems with the early 700s, I believe, was due to people screwing with the sear adjustment, or gunk in the mechanism.

I have a 700 that my wife uses. I took it to a gun smith and payed the money to have a Timney put in it. Now I'm done worrying about the trigger.

A lot of the problems with the early 700s, I believe, was due to people screwing with the sear adjustment, or gunk in the mechanism.

I watched the show. According to Walker, Remington eliminated a quality control step after he left the company that checked for the issue.

I watched both the first and most recent msnbc programs. While truly there is a design failure the overwhelming odds are it will never happen to you or anyone you know.

Having said that I changed mine to Timney's I didin't trust Remington to fix it. Just the chance is enough for me to make the change.

I did witness the exact failure about fifteen years ago and luckily the rifle was pointed in a safe direction but it sure made an impression on us.

Remington is sadly a shadow of it's former self and msnbc certainly told the story they wanted out but regarless if you have a 700 I would change out the trigger, especially pre Mark X.

It happened to me twice, once closing the bolt, and another while taking it off safe. Replaced with a Timney, and NO problems. The 600 Mohawk and the 660 were recalled as well as others, not just the 700. They have known about the problem since the 60's and chose to ignore it. Stupid corporate thinking. Profits trump their customers lives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back