Relocating, how do I decide.

Move but don't sell puts you back in debt, but that may not be bad. Check into taxes, cost of living, social life. You're single, so is there a social life there for you?

Is there a job market there? You say climb the company ladder, is this just the first move of several?

We left family moving from NH to WY, its harder than we thought between grandkids being born (not an issue for you), but also from aging.parents

You say you will not sell, is coming back an option since you are moving for a promotion

Sounds like you have intangible, nonnumeric motives along w the practical ones. Maybe that you want the promotion now with time to explore the possibilities it offers. Perhaps that you'd like to experience living somewhere new, sense of a larger world than where you've always lived, how and who you might be in another setting. If those are factors, the only way to know is to go. Your son and dog children can maintain a home base to return to. Factor wardrobe adjustment into the cost analysis. Congratulations on this opportunity!
1690035369807.png

The location I would be based out of is Wichita, Kansas. I would be all over the state for work though.

One other pertinent piece of information that I left out is that in my current position I have over 100 nights in a hotel so far this year. These are mostly in state.

I know that moving half way across the country isn't the same as spending half the year in a hotel but I am already away from home a ton.

Another thing to consider is that if my son chooses to move away rather than build on his 5 acres next door, I am going to have to sell livestock and find someone to take care of the dogs while I am away anyway. I love the dude dearly but we are both ready for him to be out on his own.

Folks his age have a steep hill to climb securing a home and setting themselves up, even with a decent job like he has. I think this move could buy him some time to be able to build on his land as I could rent this place to him for a very reasonable price which would allow him to keep banking money so that he could build without going eyeball deep in debt or even buy this house from me which would allow me to maybe retire earlier or set up my camp on the NWR to retire to.

And the doggos get to live out the rest of their lives right where they were born...

Sounds like you have intangible, nonnumeric motives along w the practical ones. Maybe that you want the promotion now with time to explore the possibilities it offers. Perhaps that you'd like to experience living somewhere new, sense of a larger world than where you've always lived, how and who you might be in another setting. If those are factors, the only way to know is to go. Your son and dog children can maintain a home base to return to. Factor wardrobe adjustment into the cost analysis. Congratulations on this opportunity!
View attachment 284996

Very insightful. Thank you.

Love the ‘ta, mostly. Have been here since the USAF sent me to McConnell. Being right in the middle means I can get to Texas gulf coast, northern Wyoming, Salt Lake City, Twin Cities or Albuquerque in a long days drive.

Over the counter deer (mule deer if going archery) plus five does (zone dependent) otc antelope (again archery), low density otc elk and all the upland opportunities, plus being further up the central flyway means lots of waterfowl options.

Should you move here and establish residency I would encourage you to get your lifetime hunting license. Always counted as a resident for draws and license fee purposes.

Our kids got stationed at Fort Riley, liked it so well they bought a home and plan to retire (out of the military, not from any job) there. Friendly people and seems pretty safe. Lots of lakes. They boat more than they hunt, but there is great hunting on Ft. Riley if you can get on.

Move but don't sell puts you back in debt, but that may not be bad. Check into taxes, cost of living, social life. You're single, so is there a social life there for you?

Is there a job market there? You say climb the company ladder, is this just the first move of several?

We left family moving from NH to WY, its harder than we thought between grandkids being born (not an issue for you), but also from aging.parents

You say you will not sell, is coming back an option since you are moving for a promotion

I am not entirely debt adverse if it involves a mortgage or land. If I buy smart up there I could possibly add to the nest egg when I decide to sell.

The company I work for is by far the largest in the industry. We have a presence in every State except Alaska and Hawaii, as well as in Canada.

There is plenty of upward mobility. I have only been with the company for 7 years after almost a decade out of the industry entirely and I have managed to move up the ranks significantly during that time.

Coming back home is always an option, if not for this company then for a competitor or a client. If I stayed up there until retirement I could certainly return then.

I really appreciate all the replies and DM's. Keep them coming.

I am going to talk this over with my family and friends as well as my team at work before I decide anything.

One hang up I have is that I don't feel like my work here is done. This operation here has not reached it's full potential by any stretch. I don't want to leave work here undone. I have to know there is someone capable to pass the torch to.

As someone who from 18-35 moved just about every 18months (big moves. Little moves), I don't see any upside in staying, other than emotional.

It'll force the boy to do something as well, in a good way, not a "house is sold, you got 30 days" but "I'll be checking up on you, but charging you rent in 30 days"

Maybe strike a deal with an airbnb for long term? I always found renting to be more my transient style, logistically.

However, the moving is a lifestyle. It's hard and tough if you're a root based person, or have a lot of family.

...I do not, for reference...that's why it is easy for me (and now partially easy for my wife and our kids). We are what we have.

I wouldn't relocate unless I made triple what I make now, and it would have to be to Wyoming.

It's just simply too much of a gamble to relocate right now and to me, it's simply not worth the hassle. I like having a garage and a property I can hunt on. I lived the nomadic lifestyle for over 10 years. Never again.

Back