Caribou Gear

Reintroduced CO Wolves

Westelker - W. Colorado

Just read in one of the local newspapers that one of the relocated wolf's may have been photographed this week near Yampa, CO. Local rancher notified CPW. After the rancher explained close proximity to the cattle the CPW officer provided the rancher with some non-lethal resources which included cracker shells, rubber bullets and bean bags. The wolves may not attack a human, but if I was the rancher I wouldn't be sleeping well at night, knowing that if a wolf attacks my cows I have rubber bullets and bean bags to discourage them. How can the CPW be so lame...what a f..ken joke!!

Just read in one of the local newspapers that one of the relocated wolf's may have been photographed this week near Yampa, CO. Local rancher notified CPW. After the rancher explained close proximity to the cattle the CPW officer provided the rancher with some non-lethal resources which included cracker shells, rubber bullets and bean bags. The wolves may not attack a human, but if I was the rancher I wouldn't be sleeping well at night, knowing that if a wolf attacks my cows I have rubber bullets and bean bags to discourage them. How can the CPW be so lame...what a f..ken joke!!

That's basically all CPW is allowed to do...

Here’s are two examples of nonlethal means used (in Oregon) and which unfortunately didnt work back in 2022 with two different wolf packs:

#1. “The producer requested lethal removal of wolves after ODFW confirmed four depredation events…..

That level of depredation meets the definition of chronic livestock depredation under Wolf Plan Rules (minimum of two confirmed depredations in nine months).
…..
The producer uses human presence and livestock protection dogs 24/7 to protect his sheep. They have employed extra herders, moved camps more frequently to move away from where wolves had depredated previously, and also used foxlights, airhorns and gunshots to scare wolves away. The producer's agent also legally shot a wolf that was caught in the act of fighting with livestock working dogs on Sept. 14.

Unfortunately, depredations have continued with the most recent one confirmed Sept. 26. Under the rules, there can also be no identified circumstances on the property (such as bone piles or carcasses) that are attracting wolves. The Department searched the immediate area for any bone piles, carcasses, or other attractants during their investigations and found none.”

#2. “The producer has a history of using non-lethal methods on their pastures within this pack area to deter wolf-livestock interaction, including employing a range rider funded by a non-profit organization. The producer and range rider used spotlights, radios, foxlights, and human presence at night and during morning and evening hours (and sometimes all day) to maintain a human presence to deter wolf-livestock interactions in previous years. To deter wolves recently, the producer has increased the amount of time humans are spending in the area. The producer spent several nights in the pasture with his cattle following the first depredation and attempted to haze wolves out of the area on April 26 by shooting in the air over eight wolves he encountered in the pasture. Despite these efforts, wolves have continued to visit and have killed additional calves.”

Yeah...I think you're correct thanks to our CO government. Perhaps the CPW could have provided some 12 Guage blanks instead of some bean bags. Guess we'll just have to wait for the first wolf kill to see what will happens.
It’s already happening well before the official reintroduction

Here’s are two examples of nonlethal means used (in Oregon) and which unfortunately didnt work back in 2022 with two different wolf packs:

#1. “The producer requested lethal removal of wolves after ODFW confirmed four depredation events…..

That level of depredation meets the definition of chronic livestock depredation under Wolf Plan Rules (minimum of two confirmed depredations in nine months).
…..
The producer uses human presence and livestock protection dogs 24/7 to protect his sheep. They have employed extra herders, moved camps more frequently to move away from where wolves had depredated previously, and also used foxlights, airhorns and gunshots to scare wolves away. The producer's agent also legally shot a wolf that was caught in the act of fighting with livestock working dogs on Sept. 14.

Unfortunately, depredations have continued with the most recent one confirmed Sept. 26. Under the rules, there can also be no identified circumstances on the property (such as bone piles or carcasses) that are attracting wolves. The Department searched the immediate area for any bone piles, carcasses, or other attractants during their investigations and found none.”

#2. “The producer has a history of using non-lethal methods on their pastures within this pack area to deter wolf-livestock interaction, including employing a range rider funded by a non-profit organization. The producer and range rider used spotlights, radios, foxlights, and human presence at night and during morning and evening hours (and sometimes all day) to maintain a human presence to deter wolf-livestock interactions in previous years. To deter wolves recently, the producer has increased the amount of time humans are spending inu the area. The producer spent several nights in the pasture with his cattle following the first depredation and attempted to haze wolves out of the area on April 26 by shooting in the air over eight wolves he encountered in the pasture. Despite these efforts, wolves have continued to visit and have killed additional calves.”
So, after four kills confirmed by the ODFW, nothing was done other than what's you mentioned. Looks to me that the war continues and the wolves are winning every battle. Not to mention the deer fawns and elk calves. A 24/7 presence, radios etc... everything to deter them is placed on individual rancher. CO will most likely follow OR. What a shame. As I have said before CO, especially the larger towns, are going to he_l.

It’s already happening well before the official reintroduction

Didn't take long...

"North Park rancher Brian Anderson said Colorado Parks and Wildlife confirmed three of his 100-pound lambs were killed by at least one wolf Friday morning."
Cha-ching! Up to $15k per confirmed stock slaughtered by ballot box city slickers...

Edit due to the candles blown out by @Dsnow9 , Just saw the date of the article... Bah! Apologies for my quick keyboard thumping.

In due time this will multiply expodentially due to ballot box city slickers...

can we pretend this was caused by the city slickers? I know, I know... wolves relocation from OR to Co on the 18th... and this was published on the 19th... just ignore the line the calf was killed by actual wolves IN Colorado the week before?

Question:

Why couldn't CPW consider wolves have already been re-introduced naturally... as established by the aforementioned confirmation of stock kills directly by wolves IN Colorado - thus the city slicker ballot box biology agenda fulfilled?

Was there some definitive direction that required CPW to force relocate wolves from other States to CO? Interpretation of the ballot is open for interpretation...
Per the ballot wording:

(d) “RESTORE’ OR “RESTORATION” MEANS ANY REINTRODUCTION, AS PROVIDED FOR IN SECTION 33-2-105.7 (1)(a), AS WELL AS POST-RELEASE MANAGEMENT OF THE GRAY WOLF IN A MANNER THAT FOSTERS THE SPECIES’ CAPACITY TO SUSTAIN ITSELF SUCCESSFULLY.

Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 33-2-105.7
  • (1) (a) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "introduction" means the release of a nonaquatic wildlife species that is currently not found or no longer found in this state into the environment of Colorado, and shall include reintroduction; except that introduction shall not include any nonaquatic wildlife species the actual initial release of which occurred prior to May 24, 2000, or any release that has previously been approved by the general assembly acting by bill.

Last edited:
Didn't take long...

"North Park rancher Brian Anderson said Colorado Parks and Wildlife confirmed three of his 100-pound lambs were killed by at least one wolf Friday morning."
Cha-ching! Up to $15k per confirmed stock slaughtered by ballot box city slickers...
These were killed before reintroduction

What’s the grain of those bean bags? Construction? Effective range? That’s going to make for some interesting DOPE.

I can imagine two ranchers with their bean bag cannons hidden in a tree line prone. One gets the range, and states “86 yards that’ll be 2,989 clicks Hank.”

So much confusion here.
You should see FB, the collared wolf photographed off trough road is now being billed as ‘seen in Kremmling near a house’

And naturally, everyone all over the state has seen a wolf lately. Folks claiming sightings in Gunnison, Browns Park, Pitkin, Canon City, Limon 😊, Crested Butte, Taylor Park, Montrose, Saguache, Durango, and that was just in one post.

This is a case study in propagation of rumor into misinformation.

You should see FB, the collared wolf photographed off trough road is now being billed as ‘seen in Kremmling near a house’

And naturally, everyone all over the state has seen a wolf lately. Folks claiming sightings in Gunnison, Browns Park, Pitkin, Canon City, Limon 😊, Crested Butte, Taylor Park, Montrose, Saguache, Durango, and that was just in one post.

That's nothing, saw a pack on the 16th street mall last week

You saw the pack of woofs in Park County - yes? Video proof! (I jest - in good fun)

Also correct me if I’m wrong but north park is not anywhere near the release site right? I doubt they would want those wolves anywhere near that Wyoming border

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back