Question on backcountry food

Pa Bowhunter

I have been doin some research on meals for backpack hunting

From what I have found I need to stay around 2800 cal per day is this about Right?

Also as far as the instant coffee packs for morning dose anyone replace the instant coffee for a pre workout try powder to get the the energy and wake up for the day

There is an incredible amount of products out there these days for back packers and back country hunters.
I have tried a few things, like the freeze dried meals. But I have been bivy camp hunting for a long time and it doesn't have to be too high tech or over thought out.
Instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, beans, rice, cured meats, and my favorite is bagels with peanut butter and honey (aka the butthole sandwich).
Apples, oranges, are great.
Plenty of coffee, I like the instant in tea bags.
A little sugar and creamer or dehydrated milk.

All this can easily be portioned out and put in ziplock bags for easy packing.
I kinda like payday bars for breakfast.

As for the amount of calories you'll need that is variable person to person but like you said plan for more than normal.

As mtnrunner pointed out, calories are going to vary from person to person and vary from day to day during a hunt. There are multiple online calorie calculators that you can use to get an estimate, then plan from there. If you google search "free calorie calculator" you'll get a lot of options. I've used the calculator at freedieting.com and it has been accurate enough for my needs. I would suggest finding your maintenance for daily intense exercise and possibly plan even more calories than that.

Doesn't the Butthole Sandwhich have Bacon as well? Otherwise i just call those PB and honeys lol.

Pa Bowhunter, I would go on a pre-hunt backpacking trip somewhere in your neck of the woods and get a more accurate answer based on your own needs. Could be a good way to test all of your other gear at the same time.

I would error on the side of more food then less until you find what you actually need. Pre-season scouting and backpacking trips are great shake downs for things like food and gear.

Above all else calories, weight etc take food you like to eat at home. Nothing worse than watching a how to video or listen to a podcast telling you to take this and that and get kn the mountain and find out you dont like it.

Also the air is thin and dry so drinking lots of water is even more important. So think about it. If you have alot of bars or peanut butter you are going to want more water.

Honestly, unless you count calories on daily basis it's probably not going to be all that helpful for backpack hunting. I have found that there is absolutely nothing that I can do to keep from losing some weight over the course of hunting season, but unless you are a professional athlete that needs to maintain weight for some reason coming out of a hunt a little leaner is only a good thing.

If forced to do a rough calorie count I bet I bring 2000-2200 calories of food per day, this is what I have typically packed:
Oatmeal with Justin's peanut butter - breakfast
pita-cheese-mayo-meat - lunch
mountain house
1 bar and 2 snickers bar equivalents
various snacks

I never seem to be able to get close to forcing all this food down, I always seem to have some food left over at the end of a trip, and of actual food consumed probably only take in 1500-1800 calories. I have read several articles that say you need something like 2500+, but honestly hunting is more akin to climbing than some intense cardio activity like swimming or biking so I really don't think you need to be consuming way more than usual. Recently I was reading an article about Alex Honnold, climber who free soloed el cap, he pretty much eats vegan/vegetarian and puts away at most 1800 a day.

One thing I have found about myself is that when backpacking I have a really hard time eating a lot in one sitting, eating a full mountain house at the end of the day is always a struggle, so what I focus on is bringing food that I can snack on over the course of the day. I think this year I'm going to drop the oatmeal and something more like nuts to snack on.

As others have said, try to eat things that you would normally eat, don't worry about the latest greatest fad product/powder, and do a couple of practice trips to figure it out. A couple of times during the summer plan out 2 night hike somewhere close plan something that is like 20 miles, hit the trail Friday after work do 5 miles, Saturday 10 miles and come home Sunday morning/afternoon after 5 miles, this gives you a full day in the field and enough of a walk that you will have a general idea how you are feeling with your food choices.

Bottom line play around a bit and find mixture of foods that makes you feel healthy, numbers are kinda irrelevant.

Basal metabolic rate + estimate of calories burned while hunting (I'd use a backpacking exercise calculator) is a target for the calories you need. From there mix your macros to how you prefer to burn.

I don’t have mine calculated to a T but I know my full stomach carrying 57 pounds can walk circles around my empty stomach carrying a 53 pound pack that weighs such because I’m skimping on food.

Basal metabolic rate + estimate of calories burned while hunting (I'd use a backpacking exercise calculator) is a target for the calories you need. From there mix your macros to how you prefer to burn.

ketosis.jpg

Something I have been practicing a lot on is food selection. If I like it around the house or office I will like it in the backcountry. If I can't stand in at the house I'm sure to toss it out and never carry it. I currently have a heck of a list of food that will make it to the pack with a variety that I will not get sick of either. There are a still some things I want to try. Also, one of the goals I will like to reach is to go semi stoveless.

caloric deficit is really the only way to lose weight. Calculate Base Metabolic rate...cut it down a few hundred calories...that simple. You can lose weight by eating 10 twinkies a day if you choose. Is it healthy? no but you can lose weight doing it. Cut out fried food, cut down the simple sugar and carbs, eat salad and veggies with as little dressing as possible, and eat lean meat. Toss in a mix of weight training and cardio.

Jr- What diet do you suggest for someone looking to lose a few lbs?

Keto, LOL.

Seriously though, keto is a good diet for a jumpstart, but not a long term plan. A week or up to three weeks can be a good way to get started, so can many other diets like HcG. Once the jump start has occurred, moving towards something that is long term is your best bet. We are all human though, we ebb and flow, and sometimes a jumpstart is what is needed. As Grant noted, going calorically deficient is the way to lose weight long term or keep it off. Most people are calorically delusional, this isn't really just my opinion this is based on my wife seeing patients in her practice for the past 14 years. People literally have no idea how many calories they consume, nor any idea of what they burn. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories, if I wanted to lose a pound a week....a very sustainable level I would need to be calorically deficient by 500 calories every day for that week. My basal metabolic rate hovers around 2000 kcal and moves up or down depending on my muscle mass. Utilizing a calorie app like Lose It is an incredible tool to first put you in check and second to keep you on track.

Below is an image of my body composition. I have the advantage of knowing what my body comp is, what my BMR is and my genetic make-up to really understand how I can optimize my weight loss. Granted I like whiskey and beer, so it's tough. But, if you have the tools to know where you are and what your body needs you can get closer to optimizing your weight.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 5.07.02 PM.jpg

Lots of good stuff being said..I would just make sure that like others have said you try it out. Nothing like going on a backcountry hunt with a bunch of "quality" food only to find out that your stomach does not agree. Your body will be under a ton of stress as it is, make sure your food is helping you go further...not stop and crap your pants every 20 steps.

this isn't really just my opinion this is based on my wife seeing patients in her practice for the past 14 years.

:cool: married up as well I see...

every time I ask a medical related question in our house... "this isn't for your stupid hunting forum is it"

I agree with jryoung. If you want to loose weight, the best tool in the box is a calorie tracking app. I tried three for the first month and settled on the one I liked the most. I lost 40lbs the first five months, and a year later lost 30lbs more in about seven months. I didn’t even realize how fat I’d become. Five years of marriage and out of the gym and I hadn’t even gained a pound...I just converted about 20bs of muscle into 20lbs of fat and was already 20+lbs overweight.

Personally I don’t think you should worry too much about perfect food in the back country. It needs to be packable and convenient as wells as something you know you can eat. If you’re going to be around the truck every so often, then you can bring more normal food. If you’re going to be away from the truck for multiple days then the primary concern is that you can pack the weight and it won’t spoil. Pasta and jerky is so easy for packing. Just camp within a reasonable distance of a water source. Your body isn’t going to shut down because you didn’t feed it exactly as many calories as you burned that day for four to six days.

Admittedly I loose 1.5-2lbs per day on a hunt. At 200lbs, plus a 65lb pack and 12lb gun traveling 9-18miles per day over varied terrain, you’re looking at 1800-5000 calories per day in activity alone, plus around 2500 in BMR. I don’t care to carry 5000 calories per day of hydrated food, don’t want to stop and cook dehydrated food during the day, and can’t eat 5000 calories in one sitting comfortably. Your body brings enough fat with it for four to six days, so I don’t bring a lot of extra fatty foods. I focus on mostly carbing up at night to the extent that it’s reasonable. I eat an apple at the truck to a breakfast bar in field for breakfast, and I’ll rarely eat again until dark, where it’s jerky and pasta in the field or game meat, beans, rice and tortillas if I’m at the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back