Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Prince Of Wales Alaskan Adventure

B

big28hunter

September 14th our group arrived in Ketchikan, Alaska with only one more flight to our hunting camp. We had to take the ferry from the airport into town to board our last flight. We enjoyed a great meal at Annebelle's before heading to Pacific Airways float plane base.

Heading out to Thorne Bay I had high hopes of getting one of the islands famous black bears.

My first priority however, would be getting my buddy James one. This was his first out of state hunt and he had never taken a bear.

The first night of hunting we almost pulled it off on a creek loaded with sign. I saw a big bear come in across the creek and positioned James in front of me for the shot. I saw him one more time to our left but he never gave James an opportunity. Not sure what happened. Maybe it was our scent or the movement from us protecting ourselves from the little suckers eating us alive.

On this creek the sign wasn't hard to find. It was literally everywhere!

That evening Nick and Scott (both members on here) who didn't have bear tags were hunting sitka blacktail deer. Nick ended up seeing a really nice buck but couldn't get a shot at it. This was the only big buck the 6 of us saw all week. Does were everywhere and our group took 3 spikes for meat. I shot this little guy along the beach for our surf and turf night and Mike took his along an old logging road.

The second day James hunted a different creek with my buddy Mike who had successfully hunted the island before. They had a great day on the salmon creek as James pulled the trigger on this beautiful boar.

It was certainly a tough week of hunting as we were only seeing small bucks, does, and sows with cubs. Sign was everywhere for bear and deer though.

The fishing on the other hand was INCREDIBLE!

Surf & Turf Night proved to be one of our favorite dinners of the week on this DIY adventure.

Not much of a duck hunter but I did have a little success along one of the lakes while looking for big game. I also tried sea duck hunting Thorne Bay. Those ducks made me look silly as everytime I was about to get some shooting in they would take off to another cove.

Learned a few lessons while hunting ducks too!

1. Shoot them closer to shore

2. Watch where you step.

We stayed with Adventure Alaska and Jason & Trisha provided us with great accomadations and gear.

Can't wait to return and give the island another try. Good huntin' and GOD bless

Brought back some great memories from this last spring. CONGRATS on that great bear and all the deer taken.

I have a bear tag for this spring, however, no hunting companion... so I may have to eat the tag.

good luck to all
the dog

Looks like a great adventure and awesome food and company! I caught up with Nick and Scott on the phone just as Scott was preparing to head back east. Those guys are great hunting partners and good guys - glad you all had a blast!

WOW! What an awesome adventure! Flat out awesome! Fish, venison, ducks... bear ~ Grats on the good times spent w/ friends! Nice bear as well to your friend James!

Thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. Certainly can't beat family, friends, and the great outdoors. I'll certainly be doing this hunt again and next time I plan on booking a halibut trip as well. Best bang for the buck as far as Alaskan hunts go. Good huntin'

Looks like a great adventure and awesome food and company! I caught up with Nick and Scott on the phone just as Scott was preparing to head back east. Those guys are great hunting partners and good guys - glad you all had a blast!

Live pretty close to Scott and bear hunt with his gang in the Poconos. Very nice guy and accomplished hunter. Nickster was a blast to have in camp as he is quite the character. As I'm sure you know. Very good cook too!

Last edited:
Awesome looking adventure. I thought I recognized mixedbag in that photo.

Wow! Sounds like a great time. The surf n turf is making me hungry! :)

Isn't POW a great place I need to get back there soon I may put in for that draw next year hadn't been there since it went draw hunt.

whats up chris,WVHunter,next time I go back your going to have to come along.Won't ever forget my roundtrip car ride with you to wy.Laughed my a$$ off the entire time.I'm sure you'd make the travel to Ak bearable.Its the only downfall to hunting there

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back