Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Powder and Bullets

shannerdrake

Hey all - just returned from CO muzzy and have a few thoughts.

BH209 takes a little tinkering to get dialed, but it really is awesome. I was drenched by unrelenting rain for 5 of my 7 days. Despite this my ML went boom every time I pulled the trigger and with no cleaning whatsoever.

Get a scale and measure your powder. Volume is not accurate. Below are two pics. Both of these loads were 84gr by weight measured on a calibrated jeweler’s scale. One sat at home and one bounced around in my bag. Weigh your powder.

Federal Copper Bore Locks might be the best ML projective ever made. Sure you can go the Thor route and size your barrel, etc. But off the shelf I’ve never seen these shoot over 2moa in any gun and the terminal performance is arguably the best I’ve seen in any bullet. IMG_5395.jpegIMG_5394.jpegIMG_5391.jpegIMG_5290.jpegIMG_1199.jpeg

Hey all - just returned from CO muzzy and have a few thoughts.

BH209 takes a little tinkering to get dialed, but it really is awesome. I was drenched by unrelenting rain for 5 of my 7 days. Despite this my ML went boom every time I pulled the trigger and with no cleaning whatsoever.

Get a scale and measure your powder. Volume is not accurate. Below are two pics. Both of these loads were 84gr by weight measured on a calibrated jeweler’s scale. One sat at home and one bounced around in my bag. Weigh your powder.

Federal Copper Bore Locks might be the best ML projective ever made. Sure you can go the Thor route and size your barrel, etc. But off the shelf I’ve never seen these shoot over 2moa in any gun and the terminal performance is arguably the best I’ve seen in any bullet. View attachment 292692View attachment 292693View attachment 292694View attachment 292695View attachment 292696

Get a scale and measure your powder. Volume is not accurate.

One alternative is to use "compacted volume." Basically, you vibrate the tube after initially adding powder and fine tune until your hit your volumetric measurement target. This removes most of the inconsistency you show in your picture, and can be done in the field with no tools or electricity.

Also, the Thor charge tubes shown are great for storage and transport, but not what I prefer for measuring my charges. The one I use is just a cheapy plastic rig from Bass Pro or something, but it's much smaller in diameter and therefore measures volume more accurately.

Never really thought about weighing and/or settling of powder! Guess that goes to show how much muzzleloading and shooting I do! Gonna be doing more as we’re hopefully headed back to CO next fall.

That said, I’ve used both Thor’s and Bor Lokts and if the Federals continue to shoot good in my gun, that’s what I’ll be reaching for. Happy hunting! FFG

Don’t leave your bh209 powder in those little canisters for an entire season…

Mine picked up moisture somehow…drying it out in the sun today on my back porch…lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back