Caribou Gear

Possible Coyote gun

RkyMtnELK

I'm looking for a rifle for coyotes. Found a Savage Axis, 22-250, Camo stock, heavy barrel and a Bushnell 4 to 14 scope at my local WalMart for less than $400.00. Comments, please. Thanks, Jerry

I'd shoulder the gun a few times and test the trigger, looking for what you don't like - if you're not finding things you don't like then buy it. I'm sure the scope is at the bottom of Bushnell's lineup, but it may work just fine anyway. If not, as long as you like the rifle the scope can be upgraded later. I have to look for what I don't like at the store, to keep the 'gotta have it' part of my brain from taking over and then later the negatives stand out.

These guys usually have pretty good prices, if this is the same rifle. Then on top of their price you'll have a little shipping, an FFL transfer fee and the wait. So, given those costs, the WalMart price looks reasonable.
https://grabagun.com/savage-arms-axis-22-250-bl-mobu-dbm-pkg.html

Last edited:
It's always personal preference, but if the Axis doesn't have the AccuTrigger I'd look at upgrading to a rifle with a better trigger. Again, everyone has different preferences, but I'm trigger picky and still have to force myself to subdue my 'gotta have it' issues.

If your going to pack that gun very far, you,re going to start hating the added weight of the bull barrel. Most modern suporters have good enough accuracy for coyotes.

I have the original Axis without the accutrigger and I'm very happy with the accuracy. I know a lot of people have a hard on for the accutriggers, but with 15 years in the military shooting M16's-M4's with their triggers, I don't mind the trigger. The Axis is a solid shooter for the price.

Thanks for responding. What I know so far is it is a tad heavy and WM has a trigger lock installed on the gun. When I asked to look at it I was told to stand "here" and was handed the rifle. I may have to wait for a different clerk that will remove the trigger lock. Packing the gun a few hundred yards may not be too bad, don't know yet. WalMart does not carry the RAR any longer they just handle Savage so being able to do a side by side comparison won't happen. I do like the idea of looking for the things that I don't like, makes it more objective. I would give the scope a fair chance. Thanks again.

I use an old heavy barrel Savage 110 on coyotes. I bought it back in the early 90's and still use it today. It is scary accurate with hand loads, but I made some changes to it from its factory condition. I would look for a little higher end gun than the Axis. Consider a couple of things with the $400 price tag. First, you will probably pay a gunsmith to work over the trigger. Second, you may find yourself wanting to replace the stock at some point.

As for the weight of the heavy barrel, I've never found a couple of extra pounds on my rifle to keep me from going the extra mile on game. That said, a lighter medium weight/contour barrel will work fine for coyote hunting where you will only be firing a few rounds, at most, at one time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back