PEAX Equipment

Podcast on wounding

What general area have you seen with a spike or cow only season during the 6 week archery and 5 week season since 1979?

I haven't seen one in a general area ever, hunted Montana that long.

I've seen brow tine bull only implemented, I've seen season extensions for bulls and cows in general areas.

I'd just like to see some examples of a spike only or cow only season due to accounting for wounding loss.

What general area have you seen with a spike or cow only season during the 6 week archery and 5 week season since 1979?

I haven't seen one in a general area ever, hunted Montana that long.

I've seen brow tine bull only implemented, I've seen season extensions for bulls and cows in general areas.

I'd just like to see some examples of a spike only or cow only season due to accounting for wounding loss.
Maybe when the counts hit zero they implement a wounding factor.

As stated earlier, it's a factor. Not "THE" factor. FWP factors in a significant amount of data for management decisions, one such factor is wound loss. This specific point got blown way out of proportion by the opinion brigade.

I have sat in on FWP season setting meetings and tentatives for near 30 years. We work with bios on season proposals and restrictions. I can safely say in all those years not one time has wounding loss been brought up when it came to season proposals, permit levels, or season types.

I can only speak to the westside of the state where most all populations are measured by spring green up counts or in the case of mule deer post season winter counts done before bucks shed.

The only way wounding loss would be factored in would be same has hunting harvest-if the critter is dead it wouldn't be on the hillside when the counts are done.

1:1 wounding loss for archery sounds like someone with a strong anti archery bias or axe to grind

Bad hunters come in all flavors but in my experience there are more slobs during general rifle than any other. It’s easier in my opinion to go buy a cheap box of shells at the gas station and grab your old rifle out of the closet and wing shots at stuff from the truck than it is to get into archery range on most critters

I think forums like this show hunters that are generally outliers with the amount of time and effort they put into being proficient with their weapon of choice. That is not the norm

I'm done with this conversation everyone. I trust experts with experience more than your anecdotal opinions, and will continue advocating for things that matter on other threads. This thread, much like tracking a wounded animal over several days, has become an exercise in futility.

I'm done with this conversation everyone. I trust experts with experience more than your anecdotal opinions, and will continue advocating for things that matter on other threads. This thread, much like tracking a wounded animal over several days, has become an exercise in futility.
Okay.

Many of the comments on this thread are far from anecdotal. These guys have worked with FWP on seasons settings and such longer than many of the current FWP experts.

Discounting their opinions just because they are not FWP employees is shortsighted on your part.

I was discussing this thread and the topic in general with a friend today. I mentioned I'm not a fan of the notch if you draw blood thing. His reply was that he understands my perspective because he's been with me for 3 days until we found a badly hit deer. Then salvaged as much meat as possible. He said, "I've seen you look down a mountainside and point out where we would find blood because the grass didn't look right. Sure enough, there was blood and track."

This is why DISCUSSING these issues is important. He said most hunters he has hunted with before moving here look for an hour or two and quit. Then go back to hunting. Why? They are generally are confident in their tracking skills. Why shouldn't they be? It's worked in the past. But their skills are lacking for extreme cases. Not their fault. You don't know what you don't know right!

Perhaps we could focus on learning different tracking techniques? A podcast or video on tough tracking? An episode devoted to how to find badly hit animals. I feel like I learn something new every time I get a call to help find something? Maybe we could start solving this issue by throwing out knowledge.

So last Thursday I'm taking a shower in an RV park in probably one of the most infamous elk units in the country. I can overhear my brother, talking to other guys shaving at the sink about the 2 bulls they had killed.

These freaking bloodhounds had a bad hit on a bull with a bow on a Tuesday evening. Jumped it at first light Weds morning, finally got it shut down and tagged that evening. 2 miles, pretty much 24 hours.

Now, we can all agree that's not an ideal length of time or situation. However, I promise I ain't ever heard of a rifle hunter that dedicated to tracking down a deal like that. Ever. Period.

Carry on rifle hunting scum!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back