Pilots?

Been there done that. Hung it up due to prices of AV gas. I saved a lot of money by researching into buying into a share of a C172 and hired a freelance instructor on a cash basis and did the training in my own plane. Saved at least 40% on costs that way but many clubs and part owners are not too keen on students buying into the plane. Ground school can be mostly done with videos and books, no need to pay big bucks for that either unless you have the cash to toss around.
I still and always will have my private ticket but I would need to take a flight review and put in some hours to get current. I must say before the kid came along it was a pretty fun way to kill time. If I can answer any questions let me know.

Slinger,
Schmalts made some good points. As an ex aircraft mechanic (not AE) I always wanted to pilot. Did enough flying, wanted to pilot. There is a difference. I would check into joining a club as he said. It is still on my bucket list, but time is running fast. JMHO, do it if you can and don't look back. I envy you.

My daughter is going through ground school right now. Pretty rigorous for an 18 y/o.
Can't wait till she starts flying. Then I'll have an in for aerial scouting!

After I got my kids educated I began training for my license, something I had wanted to do since about age 8 or so. Got my ticket in a taildragger (Citabria 7ECA) in the early 90's and that's what I have most of my time in. Bought into a 172 and got checked out in a few other types, PA 12, 150/152, Waco, Stearman, Piper 160. Costs kept rising and I finally sold my share to a friend with deep pockets but still fly some from the back seat of a friend's Van's RV-4 Experimental.

I also did it until kids took all my free time. You have to fly pretty regularly to keep current so it gets expensive and time consuming. It is somewhat impractical for most people unless they make it their lifestyle or part of work. You can think of all cool these places to fly, but you can't do anything once you get there because you have no car! So you do a couple touch-n-gos and return home, or maybe grab the loaner car and get a hamburger with a total cost of $100.

It's cheaper, easier and quicker to drive most of the time.

But it is fun with the proper toys... here is a view of the Swan Range from my Dad's RV-8.

Attachments

• dadupsidedown 2.jpg
    dadupsidedown 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 211
I flew helicopters for twenty years, thanks to the US Army, four years active duty (VietNam), then with the Montana Army National Guard, when I really got to see Montana ... from the air, mostly in UH-1 Hueys. It was the best! You will enjoy flying; however I caution you about the weekend warrior, hobby syndrome. Approach aviation seriously and professionally. Set other time-consuming hobbies aside and engage studies and practice fully. Once proficient, build on your skills; keep learning and training. Knowledge, skills, and constant awareness of safety concerns comprise the path to becoming an accomplished aviator. Good luck with your endeavor and enjoy! I will be the groundpounder you view as you fly over the beautiful landscapes of Montana. Keep your gauges in the green.

Straight arrow made a good point. To save time and money get it done as fast as possible. In the beginning if you only go once a week it will be 2 steps forward and one step back. Bank the cash until you have enough to get around 40 hours worth saved and go at it 2-4 days a week. Time is money

My experience is similar to schmalts. I did the ground school from books and vids and used a local CFI. I bought a Cessna 152 in which I completed all my flight instruction and built a little time. The plane appreciated during that time and I sold it and made enough to nearly pay all costs of getting my license. I did my flying in the mid to late 90's before I had a house and kids, not enough paycheck for both. For me flying was purely recreational. It was an expensive hobby, but man was it fun. I sure wish I could take my boys up.

Are there any CFI's in Baker? I assume Roger Meggers is still there and still rebuilding Cubs?

I've been through all the training through CFII and fly for a regional airline so if you have any specific questions, just shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to help you out. I could also email you a lot of my old powerpoints and stuff from college.

Like a few others have mentioned, once you start, you need to really go 100% and finish it ASAP. You lose so much proficiency if you have 2 weeks between lessons that you will spend tons of extra money. One of the best things you could do is if you could find a flight student who is in training and see if they would allow you to ride along in the back and observe. By watching somebody else, you will learn a ton of stuff for free.

Aviation is just so dang expensive that it is tough to keep flying every year. Just with your biennial and medical, you will be spending a couple hundred dollars every few years just to be legal to fly.

You aren't going to make a career out of it are you? That's about the worst mistake a person can make!!!

You all have had great input and I am thankful. I had originally thoughtu could do this over time but what you are all saying makes sense to push thru it quickly. Also the cost talk was great and enlightening.
Yes Meggars is still here. He has the best job in the oil patch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back