Do you prefer the Oxford Comma

• Yes

Votes: 56 68.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • What's an Oxford Comma?

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
I quit using it a few years back once I discovered it was not required. Looks "neater". To be honest, I didn't know what it was called.

Soooo, what's everyone's favorite style manual? I usually reach for Chicago.

Turkey season starts soon.

We probably could reduce overall comma use in the English language by 20% and not sacrifice much in the way of clarity/readability.
Because people write so poorly to being with...agree, it's like blaze orange laws.

Speaking as a professional attorney, the Oxford comma can make a big difference in technical outcomes so folks who care about specificity need to be purposeful with its use/non-use.
He's right.

The lack of an Oxford Comma after "shipment" in the sentence below cost $5,000,000; and all because somebody said the Oxford comma was unnecessary and slowed down the reader 😂

“The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

He's right.

The lack of an Oxford Comma after "shipment" in the sentence below cost $5,000,000; and all because somebody said the Oxford comma was unnecessary and slowed down the reader 😂

“The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

Seems like someone should have raised the "no crying over spilled milk" defense.

Speaking as a professional attorney, the Oxford comma can make a big difference in technical outcomes so folks who care about specificity need to be purposeful with its use/non-use.
I thought you were a biochemist now? Anyway, when in technical mode, always add commas, in Excel formulae, when in doubt, always add parentheses.

BTW worked in organic chemistry research for 3 years and loved it. Not many jobs in MT, ID, WY, NM at the time or might have stuck with it.

Soooo, what's everyone's favorite style manual? I usually reach for Chicago.

Turkey season starts soon.

Chicago has the Chicago typewriters, it might be healthier to be on their side.

Back