Caribou Gear

Opinions ?

Irresponsible!!! As Fin pointed out, the animal has an enormous amount of time to move after hearing the shot. Even if you can shoot that far accurately, you have a responsibility to make an ethical kill. Does he have no respect for life? These are not just 3D targets!

I would never take that shot with a bow. however what would you consider unethical with a rifle? I think the same thing is happening to the rifle sport. With new products like the redicle cds. Just keep cranking it up! You could experience three different wind directions at 800 yards. No guarantees

....new mantra," when there are broadheads in the air, there is hope in the heart"

That middle guy in the moose pic has a ton of arrows. He must practice long range shooting. Like it or not fellas it is the way things are going. I remember not to long ago when 70 yards seemed to be out of the question. Now its 133 yards. Same can be said for rifle. 600 yards shots were impossible and now the limit is hitting 1000 yards.

Only you know your limits. The guy that shoots all year will obviously have a farther limit then a guy that just picked up his bow and screwed on a broadhead. With that said 133 yards has way to many risks involved. At some point rifle or bow there has to be a limit. It will be interesting to see what that will be.

I actually don't mind the bow in the air shots. I think it's funny. Would I do it? Nope but could care less if someone else does. For hell sake I hunt with a guy that does handstands over the chiz he shoots.

"He not only provides them with the proper equipment for hunting, he takes time to teach them shooting skills and hunting ethics." pulled form his face book page

Not bow proficient here, but could you even hear a bow from 133 yards? I know they make a little noise, but at what range do you (or animals) stop hearing it?

GH killed my morning productivity with those old links. great threads. Had never seen the one where Tom defends killing farm animals as a style of "hunting". Classic.

Tom always has a 180 view of looking at things.

You say potato, Tom will say potahto.

I actually think that picture should be up top on the Huntalk home page somewhere. I never grow tired of seeing it.

For hell sake I hunt with a guy that does handstands over the chiz he shoots.

He seems to keep it fun that is for sure...however there are some things I'm glad I've never seen up close and personal as you have.

Not bow proficient here, but could you even hear a bow from 133 yards? I know they make a little noise, but at what range do you (or animals) stop hearing it?

Since you brought this up, I'll add to this. It's been my experience when I shoot at game with a bow it seems there is a range that is optimal from 0-35 yards. Game doesn't have time to react , so sound is not a factor. But between 35-50 yards sound is loud to an animal and speed decrease become a big factor. After 50 yards sounds diminish and arrow time in flight doesn't seem to matter anymore and game doesn't even know where it came from. Anyone else experience this? Or am I just crazy?

As a guy who loves to use archery equipment I will say this (my opinion only). Advancements in archery equipment over the last few years have allowed me to comfortably extend my max effective range. I probably practice more than most with my equipment, but there are guys out there that practice more and are simply more gifted than I at shooting bows. Their max effective range is most likely farther than mine. Good for them, if they have the ability. There are also a handful of guys in the world who can consistenly make 1,000 to 1,200 yard rifle shots as well. I know I'm not one of them. Not even close!

It's clear from the posts here, and I suspect most sportsman would agree, that 133 yards is way too far to expect to humanly take an animal. I'm with ya!

Beyond that, this yahoo's show is a joke.

I have watched this guys shows and when he has to add shooting baseballs, riding in jet fighters, and shooting a bow 133 yards..he needs some ego management classes. Further, Higher, Faster, Bigger, might go in team sports, but in hunting I go for finesse. Yep, after 40 some years in the TV public eye my ego was harnessed because of not trying to outdo every person I met, instead hunting helped me realize that working for my trophies, small, medium and large came from taking tips and tricks from REAL hunters like Randy and those with OYOA.

Since you brought this up, I'll add to this. It's been my experience when I shoot at game with a bow it seems there is a range that is optimal from 0-35 yards. Game doesn't have time to react , so sound is not a factor. But between 35-50 yards sound is loud to an animal and speed decrease become a big factor. After 50 yards sounds diminish and arrow time in flight doesn't seem to matter anymore and game doesn't even know where it came from. Anyone else experience this? Or am I just crazy?
Sort of the bow I currently shoot I chronoed at 249fps.Never had a deer duck the arrow I shot 3 deer all whitetails between 40-45 yards seemed to me they were less aware of the arrow comming at them at that range then the closer ones.When I shot the deer at that range the animals reaction seemed to be slow motion I watched and heard the arrow hit them and they just stand there for a second before they take off.Seem the close ones bolt as soon as the arrow passes through them.I am not an archery expert by any means or an ace shot but that is the experiance I have had I only take shots I have compleat confidence in myself making.

Last edited:
..he needs some ego management classes.

. For hell sake I hunt with a guy that does handstands over the chiz he shoots.

GESH.... Sounds like the same PRICK.

picture.php
[/img]

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back