Opinions on the Savage Mark II F

SFC B

I am looking for a 22 for small game hunting. I have never hunted small game before (other than sparow with a bb gun) but want to extend my time in the woods. My choices have basically come down to a 10/22 and the Savage Mark II F. I am leaning toward the Savage as I am not a great fan of autoloader rifles other than the ARs. What are your experiences?

I've always been a fan of Savage rifles (I have no experience with the Mark II. I own a 10/22 and I feel the 10/22 is a better option for a 22lr on the side that you can customize these rifles so much more than one would ever want to. You can go extreme on the target side or extreme on the "tacti-cool" side. Even a stripped down factory plain 10/22 is a good shooting rifle.

+1 for the 10-22. Not to say the Savage isn't a great option. I have a box stock 10-22. Tried a few "Premium" .22lr hunting options. Mine will put 5 CCI Quick-Shocks into less than an inch at 75yds. Haven't shot it for accuracy at 100, but It is certainly minute of Gopher head... The longest first shot kill I have on gophers is 113 yds, and 165 on prarie dogs. Anyhow most of my gopher shooting is offhand at 30-60 yds, a quick follow up shot is all sorts of handy.

I also like the 10/22 best. I have 3 and these rifles are great shooters out of the box... slap a decent scope on and they are tac drivers. Also, as someone mentioned, the ability to customize is nice. I have the International thats stainless, a bone stock one, and one that I am putting the Archangle (sp?) kit on possibly this weekend. My vote is for the Ruger. :D

I also like the 10/22 best. I have 3 and these rifles are great shooters out of the box... slap a decent scope on and they are tac drivers. Also, as someone mentioned, the ability to customize is nice. I have the International thats stainless, a bone stock one, and one that I am putting the Archangle (sp?) kit on possibly this weekend. My vote is for the Ruger. :D
Hate to be a squirrel in your neck of the woods? ;) :D You don't have a factory wood or laminate stock that you don't need do you?

Savage makes some great guns, but I don't know anything about that model.
I have had a Ruger 10-22 for over 40 years and have never had a problem with it.
It really just depends on what you like the best, IMO Savage makes a great gun too.

Kevin

I can only speak to the Ruger 10/22, it's a great little gun. It's kinda the Rem 700 of 22s you can go from mild to wild with all the aftermarket stuff they make for it. I have a stock stainless model.

I get the occasional jam when it gunks up from the cheapest junk ammo I can find.

I runs perfect with CCI mini-mags or decent quality copper plated stuff.

The 10/22 is the best selling 22 on the market; reliable and customizable. However, I feel the savage is the better way to go. They have a lot of models to choose from, as does marlin, and are more geared towards simulating big bore. The suggestion about cz is spot on, way under rated

If you decide to go with the CZ 455, be aware that they make a combo model. Comes with a 22lr and 17hmr barrels that you can change yourself. I think there'd be a whole lot of use for either of those in CO...

I really like th CZs that I have seen but that is above what I want to spend on a 22. Defnitely nice rifles, though.

Back