PEAX Equipment

On X Hunt App experience?

I have the OnX phone app and gps chip. I download the area I want to my iPhone and put it in airplane mode when using it in the field. I also use my gps when i go further than planned or a new area to scout.
Have not had any problems with either .

Plan ahead! Do this^

I just used the app for the first time on Saturday, no issues for me.

The OnX GPS map chips work extremely well if you already own a good GPS unit...

Plan ahead! Do this^

I just used the app for the first time on Saturday, no issues for me.

The OnX GPS map chips work extremely well if you already own a good GPS unit...

Many of us are planning ahead, doing that and are still having problems.

I don't own the app but in their defense, they're shoving 10# of s### into a 5# sack trying to turn a phone into a fully featured GPS. Add to that, hundreds of different phones, twice that number of obscure apps a guy could have on any given phone, and you're chasing a ghost trying to get it all to work. With users wanting more and more features it's gotta be tough to stay on top of it all.
I agree, I don't know how any developer can stay on top of things between new devices and carrier updates.

I don't use the app my phone is that a phone. Maybe I'm crazy who knows. I use the chip and a Garmin Oregon 450 and that combination has worked flawlessly for my needs. One of my most important peieces of equipment when out west.

I used both the app and the chip recently in Wyoming. The chip worked flawlessly. The app worked great as long as I had 4g service on my Motorola Droid Turbo. Up on top of the hills where service was good, the app layers reloaded and updated as I moved like it should. It was slow at first but, I turned off some of the layers that were active and it began to work as it should. Down off the hills where service was spotty, I relied on my GPS and chip. I tried to download the maps on the app while at the cabin but, they seemed to download slowly. I also noticed the property boundaries were shifted 20 to 30 yards to the north. I wonder if this could be due to the angle of the satellite when the photos are taken. Overall, I'd give the chip 4 stars (it would get 5 if the ariel photos weren't so difficult to load onto the GPS). I give the app 4 stars also (it would be 5 if the maps downloaded faster).

I've been considering the app, but after reading all these reviews I may hold off. Since everyone seems to like the chip better I wonder if it is possible for them to make a chip for phones? I know many phones have a micro sd card slot. Im not sure of the logistics of this but sounds like it could be better.

in talking to onxmpas support a few months back they are aware of all the issues with the software working on Samsung devices. i had a s7 and had the same issues. started using my ipad and my brother has the iphone no issues. i would recommend the software only on apple devices.

Its a great scouting tool, but when it comes to the hunt in the field I prefer the garmin mt or oregon, they are fool proof and idiot proof for the most part, extra set of batteries and life is good.

Its a great scouting tool, but when it comes to the hunt in the field I prefer the garmin mt or oregon, they are fool proof and idiot proof for the most part, extra set of batteries and life is good.

^^^This

Just an update to this thread, I ran it in offline mode and put the phone into airplane mode as suggested, even when I had 4G coverage. The app functioned much better this way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Going to explore the Earthmate option as well, but I think this is a feasible work-around for the rest of this year.

Put me down as unsatisfied user of the App from ONXmaps. Wouldn't load, wouldn't advance, unusable.

Luckily, I had Earthmate on the phone, and it works great, and, I have a standalone GPS with the Onx Chip in it that works great.

my approach and experience exactly. Earthmate app plus Onx chip in a gps is the ticket. downloading the layers for offline earthmate was easy and MUCH faster than the pain and suffering of trying to download layers for offline Onx use--especially when all that trouble and time produced a nonfunctioning Onx app in the field.

having the offline high quality aerial photos in earthmate saved my a$$. on a pack out this year. found a legal atv trail I never would have known existed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back