NM Elk Draw

That probably has very little to do with the outfitter pool and way more to do with the total number of draw entries growing every years.

Youtube, OnX, info on the internet like this forum contribute to so much more knowledge and access to western hunting and growing applicants.

The outfitter pool maybe takes 1 to 3 tags out of a potential 10% allocation to NR in most units.

Yet the appilcant numbers per huntcode are just huge in comparison to the number of tags.

If the outfitter pool didnt exist your odds would be virtually the same as a NR or Resident alike.
Bingo…but at least we have R3 to make sure those odds never return lmao.

If the outfitter pool didnt exist your odds would be virtually the same as a NR or Resident alike.
If the outfitter and nonresident pools were combined, overall odds for deer for NRs would be about 1/5 vs 1/2.5 for residents. For elk overall NR odds would be about 1/12 vs 1/3.5 for residents. Of course that includes cow tags that are reserves for residents only, so overall resident odds for bull hunts is lower than 1/3.5. Combining outfitter and non-resident pools would certainly help, but not quite THAT much.

Usually a weekish before the posted date as of the last few years... I'm going to go with Wednesday the 17th...;)

Last edited:
It's the 24th. But they'll probably post them Friday the 19th at the end of business hours to avoid the onslaught of phone calls. . .

Never understood why they call it Outfitter welfare. It gives the mostly NM resident outfitter income from NM elk and also gives someone a tag to hunt NM elk. All elk units were easy to draw at one time then the internet and the tv shows came along.

People started making a living by promoting hunting, 3 or 4 channels on satellite tv and hundreds of videos online making it look easy to go kill a 350” bull….the rest is history. Now, as a NM resident I’m buying a LO tag to hunt elk on years I don’t draw. Very thankful to be able to do that too as I might not get lucky in the draw for several years or longer.
“gives outfitter income” if you look up the definition of welfare you may be surprised to learn that is exactly it.

Well its finally done. Put in for the NM elk draw for the first time. Now it's just a matter of wait and see. Not really expecting favorable results but keeping fingers crossed. No chance taken is a chance missed.
Good luck to all ya'll other hunters in the draw.
We didn't get drawn this year, guess its off to Colorado.

Nope not successful this year. It was a long shot but definately rehearsed for future draw applications. Thanks to the forum and those polite enough to help a NM newbie hunter. Going to try getting a landowner tag for cow.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back