NM Bill Would Make It A Crime To Teach Kids To Shoot

This is a storage bill with unfortunate assumptions and language. Defining an authorized user as being at least 12 and having already taken a firearms safety course is circular and stupid.
I was hunting by myself (although on location with other hunters) at age 12.
I don't disagree with asking for safe storage when not in use, but this is dumb. Hope it dies.

If your kid is 12 or older than can use your firearms after taking hunter's safety, if they are under 12 you must be within arms length of them while they are using your firearm.

I'm not sure what part of the law makes it illegal to teach your kids to shoot.

Legal
1612549595930.png

"For the purposes of Subsections A and B of this section, a firearm shall be deemed lawfully stored or lawfully kept if carried by or under the direct control of the owner or other authorized user."

F. A minor may be an authorized user only if the minor is at least twelve years of age and has successfully completed a firearm safety training course.

(3) "direct control" means a firearm within an arm's length of the firearm's owner or other authorized person;

If your kid is 12 or older than can use your firearms after taking hunter's safety, if they are under 12 you must be within arms length of them while they are using your firearm.

I'm not sure what part of the law makes it illegal to teach your kids to shoot.

Legal
View attachment 172821

"For the purposes of Subsections A and B of this section, a firearm shall be deemed lawfully stored or lawfully kept if carried by or under the direct control of the owner or other authorized user."

F. A minor may be an authorized user only if the minor is at least twelve years of age and has successfully completed a firearm safety training course.

(3) "direct control" means a firearm within an arm's length of the firearm's owner or other authorized person;
Still don't like it, I can remember shooting a .22 almost everyday after getting off the school bus. I was definitely more than an arms length away and definitely under 12 years old.

He's my thinking... we all agree you should responsibly store your firearms and educate your children about firearms.

"Responsible" isn't uniformly defined. It's not responsible for me to leave my dog alone with a chicken, my BIL could let his sleep in the chicken coop with no issues.

Your kids will grow up with firearms in the house and have, I'm sure, a ton of firearm education. There are 7 million first time gun buyers in the US this year, I'm sure a huge number of them are buying guns for self defense and aren't taking firearm safety classes, I do wonder if those folks are being responsible.

Personally I don't think this approach to safety really works, it really only gives police an extra change to throw at a negligent parent.

Perhaps a middle ground is requiring a trigger lock be sold with every gun, with a buyer being allowed to sign a waiver stating they have a safe. At least that would get novice shooters to spend 15 second thinking about it. 🤷‍♂️
Your making to much sense.

Trying to legislate personal responsibility means everyone has to play by the rules that are are made for the absolute dumbest/worst people in our society and I think it’s a slippery and dangerous slope to head down. No upside, just another step towards a police state.
I’ve got a kid that’s been shooting by himself for several years, he just turned 11 and has been around firearms his entire life - and has had safety and proper handling drilled into him since he was in diapers. I don’t let him have a firearm around other children because that is exponentially more dangerous...seems like common sense to me. Also, he is on private property where it is reasonable to assume we know who else is in the property. I would not let him roam alone on public...again just seems like common sense. In the pic below he was 9, and when ammo was available he would shoot a brick of 22’s every Saturday.
Point is, the government can’t make effective laws to keep people “safe” from themselves, I am concerned that that type of thinking will only lead to a tremendous loss of personal freedom and not do a darn thing to make us “safer”.

Attachments

• 5F413A48-BFFC-4AD3-9EEE-8FB614115AA2.jpeg
    5F413A48-BFFC-4AD3-9EEE-8FB614115AA2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Trying to legislate personal responsibility means everyone has to play by the rules that are are made for the absolute dumbest/worst people in our society and I think it’s a slippery and dangerous slope to head down. No upside, just another step towards a police state.
I’ve got a kid that’s been shooting by himself for several years, he just turned 11 and has been around firearms his entire life - and has had safety and proper handling drilled into him since he was in diapers. I don’t let him have a firearm around other children because that is exponentially more dangerous...seems like common sense to me. Also, he is on private property where it is reasonable to assume we know who else is in the property. I would not let him roam alone on public...again just seems like common sense. In the pic below he was 9, and when ammo was available he would shoot a brick of 22’s every Saturday.
Point is, the government can’t make effective laws to keep people “safe” from themselves, I am concerned that that type of thinking will only lead to a tremendous loss of personal freedom and not do a darn thing to make us “safer”.

I took hunter safety when I was 12 or 13, as required by my home state of MO. I believe it became mandatory that year. My dad had already taught me how to handle a firearm, but that course certainly improved my understanding of them. It also strongly impressed the importance of respecting firearms in a way that most private individuals are not capable of. Or they just don't care to.

Still don't like it, I can remember shooting a .22 almost everyday after getting off the school bus. I was definitely more than an arms length away and definitely under 12 years old.
When I was 11 or 12 my best friend and I were across the road from my house, at a cow pond shooting bullfrogs. We were maybe 10-15 yards apart and he thought it would be funny to shoot me in the leg with his BB gun.

He had not been taught anything about gun safety. I had, but was too young to understand that some people grow up in different environments and don't have the same level of respect. I assumed he did. I'm gad it was just a BB gun.

Yah I dont think I'm sending my kids anywhere with another kid who I have no idea if he is safe whether it's a bb gun or whatever. My parents didnt either come to think of it.

He's my thinking... we all agree you should responsibly store your firearms and educate your children about firearms.

"Responsible" isn't uniformly defined. It's not responsible for me to leave my dog alone with a chicken, my BIL could let his sleep in the chicken coop with no issues.

Your kids will grow up with firearms in the house and have, I'm sure, a ton of firearm education. There are 7 million first time gun buyers in the US this year, I'm sure a huge number of them are buying guns for self defense and aren't taking firearm safety classes, I do wonder if those folks are being responsible.

Personally I don't think this approach to safety really works, it really only gives police an extra change to throw at a negligent parent.

Perhaps a middle ground is requiring a trigger lock be sold with every gun, with a buyer being allowed to sign a waiver stating they have a safe. At least that would get novice shooters to spend 15 second thinking about it. 🤷‍♂️

One, if not the only thing, I agree with Canadian firearms laws are our storage regulations. Long guns must be unloaded and locked when not under the direct control of a licensed person. This can be a trigger lock, cable lock, a soft case with a padlock, etc. Restricted firearms (pistols and certain scary long guns) must be double locked when in a gun case or can be locked in a safe (a safe is any locked metal container that cannot be easily broken into).

It's pretty simple, my G17 in a stack-on safe with separated loaded mags fits the requirement. If a meanie enters the house at night, I'm okay with wiping my eye boogies off, walking 3 feet to my safe in the bedroom and grab my pistol. It takes me a little longer to grab my pistola but those extra seconds are worth not having my kids find my gun when I'm not around.

I don't mean to be a dickhead but we simply don't have the same ratio of kids shooting themselves or others here in Canada. I'm not saying you're all irresponsible and we're somehow better (we're not). What I'm saying is that irresponsible people in Canada HAVE TO lock their stuff away. Also, every firearm MUST be sold with a trigger or cable lock. Now don't start me on the rest of our gun laws because you guys clearly win there.

Yah I dont think I'm sending my kids anywhere with another kid who I have no idea if he is safe whether it's a bb gun or whatever. My parents didnt either come to think of it.

Gun safes weren't common in rural Missouri, circa 1985.

I've been around many hundreds of combat pistol match competitors. I can count on my fingers the ones I'd trust to be behind me in a house search at night, especially with a cocked (and supposedly locked) SA auto, or anything with just a trigger safety. VERY few people are truly competent when under serious pressure.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back