NFL Draft Predictions - a pointless game, but at least it has a $$ prize for the winner

Yeah, it definitely felt like a desperation trade and pick after Penix cam off the board so early. The Vikings have a great history of drafting great QBs! 😉😂
It's tough, because you do not know if the Raiders, Saints, Broncos, or Seahawks were looking to trade up as well for JJ as well.

I think the other trade the vikings did is far worse than the JJ Trade.

No. 10 and No.203 for No.11, No.129, No.157

vs

No.17 for No.23, No.167, 2025 3rd, 2025 4th.

The Vikings have 108, 177, 203, 230, and 232 in this draft and only a 1st, 5th, 5th (CLV) in next years draft. Last year they only had a 1st, late third, forth, 2 fifths, and a seven.

It is going to be a roster filling experiment of UDFAs in these three seasons, which is a bold move.

It's tough, because you do not know if the Raiders, Saints, Broncos, or Seahawks were looking to trade up as well for JJ as well.

I think the other trade the vikings did is far worse than the JJ Trade.

No. 10 and No.203 for No.11, No.129, No.157

vs

No.17 for No.23, No.167, 2025 3rd, 2025 4th.

The Vikings have 108, 177, 203, 230, and 232 in this draft and only a 1st, 5th, 5th (CLV) in next years draft. Last year they only had a 1st, late third, forth, 2 fifths, and a seven.

It is going to be a roster filling experiment of UDFAs in these three seasons, which is a bold move.
A few reactions:

1 - Vikings almost never get picks in top 10 (only twice in last 20 years if I recall) and because of that they never get a shot at a top 1 or 2 edge rusher. So a small price to pay for elite talent that rarely drops to where they pick

2 - The odds of success of #5, #6, #7 and UDFAs are pretty close to the same.

3 - They are expecting a number of comp picks next year so it will be just fine.

4 - A buddy of mine who lives in Denver said local sports guy reporting Broncos talked to a number of teams incl. Jets about moving up for JJ.

5 - We have had two decades of trading back cuz it supposedly made sense - but other than WR we have repeatedly watched other teams take impact players ahead of us. I don’t care how many 5th rounders we throw away to ensure high quality picks in elite high value positions like QB & edge. If we would have done it for Center or LB or S then I would have been pissed as they are lower value positions.

Last edited:
Interesting MN Vikings fun fact:

In the 54 years since the AFL/NFL merger the Vikings and never picked #1, or #2, or #3, or #5, or #6. They did pick 4 twice in 54 years.

So, only 2 out of 324 chances to take top talent in first 6 slots.

Last edited:
What's the verdict, VG? Did the trading up 1 spot make any sense at all? I did not hear what it cost. Seems dumber than a box o' rocks to me.

Is Mr Initials worthy? Color me green, but swapping a Spartan for a Wolverine is always a big downgrade.
Needed to block Broncos. A 4th rounder was a small price to pay to ensure a pick the pundants were saying 12 hours ago was going to cost them 2 additional first rounders to get to 4 to take.

No one on the planet knows today which one of the 6 will be a star, which 2 will be good selections and which 3 will be busts. It is a gamble, but one thing is for sure, you miss 100% of the top talent you don’t even try for. I am glad we are past Spielman hoarding 6th round picks.

Last edited:
Interesting MN Vikings fun fact:

In the 54 years since the AFL/NFL merger the Vikings and never picked #1, or #2, or #3, or #5, or #6. They did pick 4 twice in 54 years.

So, only 2 out of 324 chances to take top talent in first 6 slots.
As a Bears fan, that IS a fun fact. May your streak continue for a couple more decades. :ROFLMAO:

Penix Jr was a surprise to the Falcons, but then it made me think of Vick. Hindsight's 20/20. Most folks had top 10 in picks. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
What made this an atrocious pick is not Penix talent level - it is that Cousins is locked in for 2 guaranteed $45MM years plus a big trailing cap hit if they don’t have him play the full 4. So even if you wanted to do the “Green Bay thing” of sitting him for those years, you wouldn’t do that with a 24 yo rookie and with a top ten pick. Both Rogers and Love were taken nearer #30 and both were younger.

So now they are wasting the rookie contract years of Penix, and pissing off Cousin - who they are stuck with. A complete organizational malfunction. I expect some folks in Atlanta to get fired this year. Already rumors the owner is pissed.

Yeah, it definitely felt like a desperation trade and pick after Penix cam off the board so early. The Vikings have a great history of drafting great QBs! 😉😂
Insiders are saying there plan had three preferred outcomes in order (1) trade up to 3 first for Maye but all reports are saying NE never seriously considered the trade despite the bluster; (2) get Herbert from LAC for up to 2 picks which got shut down and would have been a salary cap mess for both teams; and (3) get JJ while keeping #23 and next year’s 1st rounder. So they hit there plan spot on. He may or may to success - odds in general say 30% chance. But not at all desperation.

How's everyone feeling about their teams pick(s)? I'm ecstatic with Fautanu! Beast! Finally stud bookend tackles 🤘

Less trades than I thought but still a really fun and surprising draft! Tonight will be good as well.
Getting a decent shot at starting rookie contract QB and the top defender on many boards because of how the offense caused defense to fall makes this a good day for Vikings fans. Now we all have 3 years to decide which half of these 32 men fail at the NFL level. The only bummer was it was probably a better day for the Bears ;)

Insiders are saying there plan had three preferred outcomes in order (1) trade up to 3 first for Maye but all reports are saying NE never seriously considered the trade despite the bluster; (2) get Herbert from LAC for up to 2 picks which got shut down and would have been a salary cap mess for both teams; and (3) get JJ while keeping #23 and next year’s 1st rounder. So they hit there plan spot on. He may or may to success - odds in general say 30% chance. But not at all desperation.
I hope he does well!

Always happen when I see my team drafting OL in the first two rounds. Best bang for your buck. Someone probably has the stats to prove it.
“Positional value” charts rank the positions: QB, then Edge rusher, then WR, then OT, then CB, then everybody else - guards and centers are way down the list.

There’s a lot criticism for not taking Dejean. I can’t say I blame the packers for not taking him. He’s coming off a season ending injury that happened in practice and Iowa didn’t exactly play against top tier wide receivers and qbs.
I love the kid’s heart and moxie, but I worry about speed and strength at NFL level. My guess is solid in second round, reach in first, steal in the third.

I love the kid’s heart and moxie, but I worry about speed and strength at NFL level. My guess is solid in second round, reach in first, steal in the third.
It seems like Iowa guys usually end up being low key but solid contributors at the NFl level. A few of the tight ends recently have been pretty big time. It seems Kirk ferments does know how to prepare kids for the NFL.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back